When I built the last pair of X-LS Encores for a client, I glued up 5 additional pairs of cabinet carcasses. One pair of the extra cabinets was finished the same as the pair for the client, ribbon striped mahogany with a gloss lacquer topcoat.
This pair is being built differently. First, I'm using a wood with a different look, curly Ambrosia maple. It's Ambrosia (a.k.a. ghost or wormy) maple with tiger strip figure. Second, to get away from some of the issues encountered when using commercial backed veneer, where the actual wood is 0.010" thick or less, I'm cutting the solid wood pieces from 8/4 lumber.
I started with a piece of 8/4 rough lumber 11" wide and 8' long. The board had some twist and was wider than my 8" jointer. To flatten it, I made a sled for my 15" planer and cut the board into shorter pieces to minimize the twist. This worked well.
Then it was time to resaw the 8/4 board down to thinner pieces.
After resawing, I planed the pieces to a uniform 5/16" thick. The top piece in the following picture has a crack that needs to be repaired before planing to final thickness. I can't say I'm veneering these cabinets as this is way to thick to be considered a veneer.
One of the pieces had a crack that needed to be repaired. I used a combination of thin and medium CA glue to make the repair.
Then had to use a card scraper to get the piece of tape I used as a backer off before sanding
Next up is gluing the maple on the carcass and flush trimming.
The last piece is clamped up and drying.
Next up is resawing the wood for the front and rear baffles.
The crossovers will be tricked out. In addition to Sonicaps and Mills resistors, I'm using foil inductors and platinum by-pass caps. I'm seriously considering using the flared port that is used in the N1X. I have used that port before on a pair of X-LS Encores and liked it.
I haven't decided how I'm going to finish these yet.