Name your favorite DAC.

fiske

Re: Name your favorite DAC.
« Reply #100 on: 7 Mar 2019, 02:40 pm »
I love my DAC from Wyred4Sound.  It's now upgraded to the W4S DAC-2v2 SE .
The sound is fantastic and it works very well. 

Les Lammers

« Reply #101 on: 8 Mar 2019, 02:11 pm »
Just over the horizon is what has pushed me to keep searching for the next DAC to take me to the next level...to achieve an analog SQ without going the TT or reel to reel route.

Thanks for mentioning the Tranquility and NOS DACs, borism.  :thumb:

The TDA1543 DAC chip + whatever Eric paired it to in my dB Audio Labs Tranquility SE DAC opened up to me the wonderful world of NOS DAC sound. I love the music that NOS DACs deliver. This is the architecture - the sound - that I want in my system. The vast majority of the music that I listen to is Redbook CD quality. I don't need to chase after this or that DSD or MQA capable DAC. [I'm certainly not criticizing anyone for wanting/owning DSD/MQA capable DACs. I'm merely declaring my preference.]

I really like my Tranquility SE DAC - so much so that I brought it to Taiwan to listen to while I'm here. I have every intention of leaving it here to await my return next winter. Doing so means I must find a replacement for it in the States. The replacement will be another NOS DAC that I've been researching for the last few months. Before I stumbled upon the Tranquility DAC, I had thought for sure that my next DAC would be either the Denafrips Terminator or the Lampizator Atlantic. With the Tranquility, I 'graduated' to a new level of appreciation. It opened my eyes to what other NOS DACs could offer me. [I just reread the last two sentences, and decided one could misread them to think I'm claiming the Tranquility is better than the Lampi or Terminator. I am not making this claim. I never compared the Terminator to my Tranquility. I did compare my Tranquility to gregfisk's Lampi, and the Lampi won, but it costs $3000(?) more than my Tranquility.]

Thanks to all for their input. It's very informational to know what everyone likes.

I bought two 1541 chip based NOS Dac's. The MHDT Orchid and Abbas Dac 2.1. MHDT is in Taiwan and the Abbas came from Ukraine. Both are very good and different enough for me to keep both. Both are worth checking out.

Freo-1

« Reply #102 on: 8 Mar 2019, 02:46 pm »
The DAC setup in the Devialet Expert/Expert Pro is perhaps the best I've come across.  The reproduction is just incredible.