LIO Integrated and Snell speakers

gene9p

LIO Integrated and Snell speakers
« on: 8 Jan 2019, 11:00 pm »
I have been a big fan of Snell speakers since the mid 90's when I had my pair of EIV's. The Snell sound always just grabbed me the right way. Time marches on and gear and speakers go through many changes. A few weeks ago I saw an ad for some vintage KIII's and after a few delays I took the big plunge for 275 delivered. They had been recently re foamed and were in top notch play back condition. They arrived today and after examining the touch ups I will need to refinish, I hooked them up to the LIO integrated. OMG!!! Is it the Snell sound or the combo that just floored me.  I am going from LP to LP as well as cd's using the DAC one and my external Bryston DAC. The sound of these vintage speakers and the LIO is incredible. Will they replace my Harbeth C7's 35th anniversary speakers?..stay tuned. Selling the Harbeths would certainly help ease some of the loss I just encountered due to identity theft ..the bastards..that goes for Chase bank too. If you have a LIO integrated and happen upon some vintage Snell's..grab'em. This is the most fun I have had listening to music in quite some time!

mirekti

Re: LIO Integrated and Snell speakers
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2019, 12:57 am »
Is that a silver LIO?

gene9p

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2019, 01:09 pm »
yes..........

Vinnie R.

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2019, 06:00 pm »
Hi Gene!

Thanks for sharing your experience with the LIO + Snell KIII (sealed box, correct)?  Vintage Snells can be found
online at good prices, as you found. 

Here is the Audio Note version of the "K":

http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/speakers/an-k_01.shtml

I've love to hear them both!

Vinnie

gene9p

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2019, 02:06 am »
Correct....sealed box. Snell sure knew how to make speakers in the 90's.  I ran my Snell EIV's and CC1 center with a B&K Ref 20 and AV 5000 amp back some 20+ years ago.  The LIO and the KIII's are quite a combo. Huge soundstage and so detailed in way that's so easy to listen to. Jazz, rock, vocals, soundtracks..you name it.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2019, 01:50 am »
Years ago I impressed an audiophile (and myself!) when I identified his speakers as Snells, even though they didn't have the grills on, just by the signature bass sound. All Snells I have ever heard had a certain magic in the bass.

interestingly, also, the guy said that the salesman who sold them to him told him to pick between his final choices in speakers with his back turned to them, and that was how he went with Snell.

gene9p

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2019, 05:08 pm »
Hard to beat..Snell KIII, Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated..and an original press of VENUS AND MARS spinning on my VPI Classic 2

timind

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2019, 09:03 pm »
I love what you're doing there. A local guy was selling a pair of the original refoamed Snell Js at a very reasonable price. Kicking myself for passing them up.

gene9p

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2019, 02:40 pm »
It's called "Back to the Future"...lol