LIO vs L2 and monoblocks

matthewpartrick

• thecluelessaudiophile.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
LIO vs L2 and monoblocks
« on: 3 Jan 2019, 11:01 pm »
I think I'm still happy with the LIO!  What would upgrading to the L2 and monoblocks give me?  I am really partial to the ultracap power supply.  And I don't think my mid-mod stereo console would fit the monoblocks.  TIA.

Also, did the iphone or android app ever come out to use as a remote?

Vinnie R.

Re: LIO vs L2 and monoblocks
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2019, 01:52 am »
Hi matthewpartrick,

Happy New Year!

I think I'm still happy with the LIO!

I'm very glad to hear this!  8)
I continue to receive a lot of emails from LIO customers adding and/or upgrading modules, as well as new LIO orders. 
And I've sold a handful of trade-in LIO that came in from LIO customers who upgraded to the L2 components.   

This spring, a new LIO review should be coming out.  I'm also still mulling over new ideas for LIO as well, but the sort of things that I would like to do would require a lot of changes / redesign, and this would mean a lot of cost. 

What would upgrading to the L2 and monoblocks give me?

I could write a very long post about how the L2 Signature Preamplifier and Monoblocks sound compared to LIO, and if you have specific questions about this, feel free to let me know.  Simply put for now, the L2's are significantly higher performing components in every regard from the lowest bass range to a top-end response that goes way above the audio spectrum with their ultra-wide bandwidth. 

L2 description, feature list, and most specs can be found on our website: www.vinnierossi.com
Of course they can only give you a small piece of the picture... listening tells you the entire picture (below) about what you
really get for the higher cost.

Just as LIO and its associated modules offers exceptional sound quality and performance in its price class (approx. $5K - $15K range), the L2 Signature components are designed to do the same in their price point (~$33K - $40K range for L2 Preamp + Monoblocks).  I designed both L2 components from the ground-up to really push the limits of what I could achieve in terms of sonic performance, build quality, and reliability at their respective costs (and from the feedback that I have received at the shows and via emails/phone calls, their aesthetics are also a home run!). 

Many hundreds of hours went into their designs over the last couple years, and I am extremely proud of the results!  They were showed in two separate rooms at RMAF2018, and also in a room at NYAS2018... the feedback from show attendees and members of the press in each of these show rooms was overwhelmingly positive (you can ready some of it in the threads that I started in this forum about those particular shows)! 

I'm very much looking forward to the 2019 shows as well, starting with AXPONA in April!  I hope you and many others reading this can come to a show this year and listen for yourself, even if you are not looking to purchase.  Just come in to give a good listen and enjoy the experience... there really is no substitute for listening as it has to take place to understand *any* audio component.  Reviews, video clips on Youtube, website info, and posts here on the forum are hopefully useful in learning more about a product, but *nothing* compares to sitting down and hearing the music that is recreates.  I put in countless hours listening during the design process with each and every step of the way, and my wish is that what I spent so much time on will reward my customers with even more hours of listening enjoyment.

And I don't think my mid-mod stereo console would fit the monoblocks.  TIA.

If you are interested, feel free to send me a notebook sketch with dimensions.  I can see how it all would fit together.

Also, did the iphone or android app ever come out to use as a remote?

No - the remote bluetooth app project was aborted early on.  And just to put it out there one more time before this questions comes up again, I am not pursuing anything with MQA. :wink: 

Thanks for your post,

Vinnie

matthewpartrick

• thecluelessaudiophile.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2019, 07:27 pm »
Thanks so much for the info.  It clarified that the L2 preamp and monoblocks are at a slightly different price point than the LIO.  I'm totally content with the LIO and VR120 for the time being; you never know I might upgrade to the L2 components at a later date.  If push came to shove I'd put the monoblocks on the floor, not in the console, and they'd be closer to the speakers, able to breathe better, and probably cooler to look at :).

Is it correct that the power supply of the monoblocks and preamp are not ultracap?  I'm a bit of a neophyte on that, but I'm assuming that the noise floor is just as good if not better?

Don't worry I won't beat a dead horse about the bluetooth app or MQA :)   :deadhorse:

Thanks again!
Matthew

Vinnie R.

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2019, 07:54 pm »
Hi Matthew,

Thanks so much for the info.  It clarified that the L2 preamp and monoblocks are at a slightly different price point than the LIO.

My pleasure to help in clarifying things, and on that note, the L2 Preamp + L2 Monoblocks are at *more than slightly* different price points than LIO (approx. $5K - $15K range for LIO vs. $33K - $40K range for L2 Preamp + L2 Monoblocks).

Is it correct that the power supply of the monoblocks and preamp are not ultracap?  I'm a bit of a neophyte on that, but I'm assuming that the noise floor is just as good if not better?

Correct, and I have also mentioned this before in the L2 threads.  The Belleson super-regulated supply of the L2 Preamp (it is actually dual mono, and uses 6 Bellesons, which is not including the one used for the L2 Dac and the two that are used for the L2 Phonostage),
along with the new design of the L2 DHT stage, provide better noise performance than LIO.  I had the privilege of working with Brian Lowe of Belleson on the power supply design of the L2 Preamp, and design of the L2 Phonostage module. 

Best regards,

Vinnie