Is This a Really Dumb Idea for A/B-ing Speaker Cables?

Ericus Rex

If cable A has spades, and cable B has bananas, can I connect both A and B at the speakers and swap out connections at the amp only when A/B-ing?  I know I'd have to be extra careful at not creating a short across the disconnected end, but are there other things I haven't considered that make this a boneheaded idea?

WGH

Re: Is This a Really Dumb Idea for A/B-ing Speaker Cables?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2018, 07:58 pm »
I does sound like a disaster waiting to happen.

audio.bill

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2018, 09:27 pm »
The test connection scheme you are proposing would add the capacitance of the unused cable to the load that the amplifier is seeing, even with its speaker end connections floating. That could impact the sound of the cable which is active and connected to the speakers.

bacobits1

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2018, 11:57 pm »
I would just disconnect and listen a few hours to each, no quick flip. I can only hear changes after listening for some time. Use the same material to evaluate during that time. If it's worthwhile you will hear the differences.

OzarkTom

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2018, 12:06 am »
I would just disconnect and listen a few hours to each, no quick flip. I can only hear changes after listening for some time. Use the same material to evaluate during that time. If it's worthwhile you will hear the differences.

bacobits is right. Sometimes I will listen a week or two just to make sure. in case it is close.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2018, 01:55 am »
All logical points.  Thank you!