Accidents.. AC direct short to RCA cable....

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Accidents.. AC direct short to RCA cable....
« on: 27 Dec 2018, 06:56 pm »
My pet bird, whom I allow to roam, enjoys chewing. He would chew his way to India... Naturally he gravitates to thin lampcord... (you can see where this is going..)

SO I was moving my equipment in the rack. And naturally some cables are hanging down. plugged in to one half of the stuff..
Well the Thresehold FET 10 Cardas Parsec RCA metal shell from the tape loop hit the only tiny spot of bare wire for the laptop charger. and BLAM!!! Dead short into the FET 10 tape loop.

I was certain it had just killed the FET 10 which was not plugged in itself. (And I just bought it used last month)
Well that Threshold must have Kitty Cat genes. Since it clearly has nine lives. Maybe only eight left but it is all working like nothing happened.
And also glad it was a Cheaper Parsec, and not a $1100 Kimber!!!!
I have not tested that RCA cord.. I wonder if the ground wires, which are really thin in the Parsec design melted like a fuse?? I need to see. But for now I am LUCKY LUCKY.
The RCA is badly scorched and partially melted as 120V tend to do when shorted out.

Moral of the story? Do not let the bird chewed spots go unattended. (I just wrap them with Teflon tape.)
PS I do have to cover the speaker cables with wrapped up paper towels to keep "The Beak" off them.

Branson4020

Re: Accidents.. AC direct short to RCA cable....
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2018, 07:13 pm »
HMM,  I think you should encase everything in flex conduit.

:) 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2018, 08:52 pm »
  Better off a cheap cable destroyed than your precious bird. Thank goodness.

charles

OzarkTom

« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2018, 09:55 pm »
Mice will do it also.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2018, 12:46 pm »
In well designed hi-fi components, the RCA shell/shield is attached directly to the chassis at the connector.  The Safety Ground/Protective Earth is also attached directly to the chassis so everything should be safe.  Now if the RCA chassis connectors have a plastic insulator ring, then it's anybody's guess what could be damaged.

Elizabeth

« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2018, 04:59 pm »
After a careful inspection of the cable, it has two spots of scorching. One right at the edge of the circular RCA opening, which is actually burnt away a bit. A small area about 1mm around cratered out. Then another area of blackened scorch up the barrel about a centimeter away from the first mark. which is only blackened, no cratering. MY guess is the cable was grounded to a lamp base which the wires are laying on and not going up the cable. (The equipment was not plugged in, nor had any connections to anything else. So no where for the current to go to.. So my guess is the current went into the metal lamp base and not up the cord. I cannot foind any scorch marks on the lamp base, but it is old, dirty and bronze, and could easily hide the sort of burn mark for a 120V hit.
I still have not bothered to check to see if the cable has continuity.  :thumb:

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 28 Dec 2018, 05:05 pm »
Maybe give your bird some cheap dummy cables, placed near your gear, (not hooked up to anything) to chew on? Hopefully he/she will chew mostly on the cables that are more convenient to get to.

Mike B.

« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2018, 05:09 pm »
I am not up on what is a good repellent for birds. Maybe do some research and coat your ac and signal cables.

Elizabeth

« Reply #8 on: 28 Dec 2018, 05:33 pm »
dummy cables? the bird is way too smart for that. He only wants to chew the ones that annoy me. He does it in secret. He clearly knows on some level, like a four year old, that it is wrong, but he just cannot resist.This bird knows it is himself in a mirror. (which is considered a mark of self awareness) he understands about ten words/phrases. says 'Let me out' to be let out. Knows 'time to go to bed' understands when I say 'I'm going out' says I'm sorry when it is time to BE sorry (without coaching). Says (rarely) thank you when he means thank you. And understands the command NO. So I call 'smart bird'. Plus he likes music.

I have actually made a new effort to protect the exposed wires from him. Wrapping them in Teflon blue tape, which is a lot thicker than the white. and then adding another layer of protection on a few.

srb

« Reply #9 on: 28 Dec 2018, 06:00 pm »
Split plastic wire tubing is also a good solution.  Easy on, easy off.

3/8" tubing can be sourced from Home Depot etc. for ~ $0.25/ft or less.  White is also available depending upon your floor and wall color scheme.

stonedeaf

« Reply #10 on: 28 Dec 2018, 06:48 pm »
1.) Somebody probably makes a Kevlar tape -I'll look for this 'cause we are hoping to have a bird dog puppy back in our lives this spring.
2.) Absolutely no one who didn't repair hi-fi equipment was ever interested - but replacing/repairing pet chewed cable is a pretty common task-I kept a chunk of phono cable to stump friends in the trade "what chewed this" - a series of chisel like cuts ran up this piece . The correct answer was  a rabbit. This particular rabbit had chewed the round bead off the top of the baseboards down to a 45 deg. angle -looked like a machine had done it ?
3.) Ryley our recently departed and much mourned Irish water spaniel went thru a late chewing phase -laptop power supply cord, Network cables , power cords -he only chewed on the ends for some reason ? So a budy comes over and asks me if the new power plug improved the sound - I'm wondering what he's talking about ? Then realize he's asking  about one of Ryley's customized cords -told him - biggest difference I've ever heard with a plug -since Ryley had chewed the plug off and replacing it with a new hardware store plug sure made a difference. Eventually sittin Ryley down -waving his mouthwork in front of his face and bellowing "NO BAD DOG" ended that.
4.) And count me as just plain jealous - a FET 10 has been on my bucket list for about 20 years. There have been three companies over the years where I've pulled the covers off and you can't help but think - this is a finished product- neat ,organized ,high quality parts :  Early Mark Levinson , Pass era Threshold products and anything Bryston has ever put their name on. You are a lucky woman.

Elizabeth

« Reply #11 on: 28 Dec 2018, 07:32 pm »

I think I would have died a little if they had been damaged.  :o :o  :oops: :o :o