Shopping for server

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Shopping for server
« on: 12 Dec 2018, 10:55 am »
Have been using my MacBook Air (MBA) via a 10ft USB cable for 4 years to play CD's via iTunes and now Tidal.  The rest of my system consists of PS Audio DirectStream Junior (DSJ), JBL 708P active monitors, (3) subs, (10) GIK 244 panels, and a nicely designed designed/built audio man cave.  Am quite satisfied with the mid-field sound, but can't help but feeling that the MBA is the limiting factor.  BTW the DSJ is a DAC, preamp, and server (has ethernet and I2S inputs).

Recently tried a Small Green Computer (SGC) sonic transport i5 with Roon.  Roon has many neat features including integration of library with Tidal favorites, extensive metadata, and limited DSP functions but being a computer dummy needed help to complete the installation.  Was very disappointed that sound quality (SQ) was barely better than the MBA, that Roon's DSP has no means to measure room/speakers and only 6 channels of adjustment, and that I still didn't know how to input new library selections.  SGC suggested spending another $1400 (4 boxes) plus another (2) cables to improve SQ.  Felt like a bait and switch and that still wouldn't have solved the complexity or DSP issues.

So looking for improved SQ, ease of installation/maintenance/use, full DSP function, and 'reasonably' priced solution (say around $2k).  Anybody remember the Olive players?  As I recall something like those would have nearly been my ideal solution.  Any suggestions?

TIA

Phil A

Re: Shopping for server
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2018, 01:42 pm »
Aurender or Lumin

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2018, 03:07 pm »
  If you desire a SS drive, multiple linear power supplies, MQA, Roon, Qobuz, DSD etc look at Innuos. Check out the reviews from Computer Audio. Using the Zenith Mk3 now and it is just sublime. www.innuos.com

charles

JLM

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2018, 03:10 pm »
Aurender or Lumin

Why those Phil?  Personal experience?  Reviews?

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2018, 03:55 pm »
Why those Phil?  Personal experience?  Reviews?

With the PS Audio (and the network bridge) one can of course have many options.  I'm helping a friend right now with the Direct Stream Jr. and his first computer audio set-up.  He's probably just about done by now with using dbPoweramp to rip his CDs.  He's probably going to go the route (just a feeling) with JRiver first with his mini Windows 10 PC (I had him get) and try it both via USB and DLNA (I'll be helping).  There's products like this as well - https://www.sonore.us/ultraRendu.html

There's plenty of reviews for each of the products noted.  I've had exposure to both Aurender and Lumin and ended up getting a lightly used Lumin U1 (no internal DAC in that unit) for use in my main system (I have a few other back-up systems running JRiver and one where I have a Hegel integrated amp/DAC/DLNA streamer as well where for now I'm using Bubble UPNP on an Android tablet).  The problem with the Hegel vs. something like the PS Audio is the Hegel DAC via ethernet is limited to 192kHz.  I may eventually move back a small mini-PC along with a Asynchronous USB to coax converter (the USB input on the Hegel is very limited) and put back JRiver (in DLNA mode I don't believe there is a way to adjust the sampling frequency to make stuff like DSD work with the Hegel).

I use my Lumin with my NAS (which is in my office) running Mininserver.  Lumin also has a U1 mini now (also with no internal DAC).  I can use it with Roon or JRiver or other things but I just use the Lumin App.  I just find that the specialty products designed for audio playback in the system are a bit better for audio quality vs. a basic PC (and I'm sure there are things one can do those to get them to sound better but as you pointed out, those may not be cost effective).  Those, however, are going to require some set-up (e.g. NAS or using something like the Sonore with the program/output of your choice) and of course with a Lumin you get get their L1 (Library hard drive) or have your own with the music.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2018, 04:12 pm »
Here's a review of the Lumin U1 mini - https://soundrebels.com/lumin-u1-mini-english-ver/

Here's one of the Aurender N100H - https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/966-aurender-n100h-music-server

I'd of course recommend you try to hear them locally.  When I was ready and narrowed down my selection to Lumin and Aurender (I was able to briefly see them and hear them elsewhere).  I tried to get a direct comparison at a local dealer (he carried Aurender and I even dragged in my mini-PC music server and a monitor) but after 4 tries (and that's the only local dealer I have and something was not working each time and the dealer would promise to resolve it and I'd be back in a few weeks) and a promise by the dealer to bring it over to my place (the store is 15 minutes away) for a short listening session not kept, I just went my own way (my read and those of several other people is that if you want to buy it from that dealer and don't want him to do any work he'll sell it to you and other than that he doesn't care to do that unless you're going to buy something real expensive and he carries very limited stuff - I literally have more systems than he does) and found the lightly used Lumin from a dealer in the Midwest.
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2018, 05:21 pm by Phil A »

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2018, 08:32 pm »

that Roon's DSP has no means to measure room/speakers and only 6 channels of adjustment

I don't expect Aurender or Lumin to run a convoler to do DRC if that is what you are looking for.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2018, 09:10 pm »
Take a look at MathAudio's RoomEQ.  Free for Foobar2000 and it can be used as VST plug-ins for some music players.

Has measurement capability with a USB mic like the Dayton Audio UMM-6 and runs in Foobar2000 on PC or MAC.

Simple install and setup and can use the USB DAC for measurements.

JLM

« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec 2018, 12:46 pm »
  If you desire a SS drive, multiple linear power supplies, MQA, Roon, Qobuz, DSD etc look at Innuos. Check out the reviews from Computer Audio. Using the Zenith Mk3 now and it is just sublime. www.innuos.com

charles

Thanks Charles for the recommendation.  A friend also suggested Innuous.  But Zenith Mk3 is too rich for me.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 13 Dec 2018, 01:10 pm »
Roon Nucleus if you want plug-n-play and fanless or build a NUC if you want diy and less expensive.  That's all you really need so skip the fluff of audiofoolery and press play. 

JLM

« Reply #10 on: 13 Dec 2018, 01:23 pm »
Here's a review of the Lumin U1 mini - https://soundrebels.com/lumin-u1-mini-english-ver/

Here's one of the Aurender N100H - https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/966-aurender-n100h-music-server

I'd of course recommend you try to hear them locally.  When I was ready and narrowed down my selection to Lumin and Aurender (I was able to briefly see them and hear them elsewhere).  I tried to get a direct comparison at a local dealer (he carried Aurender and I even dragged in my mini-PC music server and a monitor) but after 4 tries (and that's the only local dealer I have and something was not working each time and the dealer would promise to resolve it and I'd be back in a few weeks) and a promise by the dealer to bring it over to my place (the store is 15 minutes away) for a short listening session not kept, I just went my own way (my read and those of several other people is that if you want to buy it from that dealer and don't want him to do any work he'll sell it to you and other than that he doesn't care to do that unless you're going to buy something real expensive and he carries very limited stuff - I literally have more systems than he does) and found the lightly used Lumin from a dealer in the Midwest.

Lumin U1 mini and Aurender N100H are close to the right price.  And I do have a 'local' dealer who carries both, but have never been there so don't know if they're set up or if staff is knowledgable.  I desperately need after sale support as I'm such a computer dummy.

JLM

« Reply #11 on: 13 Dec 2018, 01:25 pm »
I don't expect Aurender or Lumin to run a convoler to do DRC if that is what you are looking for.

Can you translate 'convoker to do DRC' for me please?

JLM

« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2018, 01:27 pm »
Roon Nucleus if you want plug-n-play and fanless or build a NUC if you want diy and less expensive.  That's all you really need so skip the fluff of audiofoolery and press play.

Have read a bit about Roon Nucleus.  Not a DIY guy, and certainly not a computer guy.  And after my experience with SGC and Roon not a huge fan or either.

How can something like REW or Dirac Live be installed on a server?

audio.bill

« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2018, 01:35 pm »
Can you translate 'convoker to do DRC' for me please?
I have no clue about "convoker" but believe DRC refers to Digital Rate Conversion (i.e. PCM to high rate DSD).

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 13 Dec 2018, 03:24 pm »
Lumin (U1 Mini) does support "Resamping to every supported format up to DSD128."  I understand that computers can be difficult for some (and at times it can get to me - I'm currently in process of helping a friend and he's not ready for a $2k solution and not a computer person - I've given him emails with screenshots of what I'm going to do with JRiver and necessarily Windows basics associated with that).

Lumin settings are not difficult (and are done via the App - http://www.luminmusic.com/support-settings.html  The App is fairly simple - http://www.luminmusic.com/support-app.html  I have my music arranged in folders - e.g. hi-rez non-classical grouped into sub categories such as hi-rez rock, hi-rez jazz and blues, or non-hi-rez classical, etc, and most of the time use the folder view and just go to how I arranged the folders on the hard drive (I do this as well on the Bubble UPNP App I use with my Hegel Integrated in a back-up system as well).

If you have a USB hard drive with your music, I'd take it over to the dealer when they have some time to spend and go over the pros and cons of each and see how you like or don't like them (it's OK if something is not your thing but experiencing it first hand is easiest to reach whether it is a go or no go).  There won't be tons of support needed for normal operation/playback.  As long as one has an internet connection you will be prompted when there are updates and those don't take long. 

JLM

« Reply #15 on: 13 Dec 2018, 03:56 pm »
Lumin (U1 Mini) does support "Resamping to every supported format up to DSD128."  I understand that computers can be difficult for some (and at times it can get to me - I'm currently in process of helping a friend and he's not ready for a $2k solution and not a computer person - I've given him emails with screenshots of what I'm going to do with JRiver and necessarily Windows basics associated with that).

Lumin settings are not difficult (and are done via the App - http://www.luminmusic.com/support-settings.html  The App is fairly simple - http://www.luminmusic.com/support-app.html  I have my music arranged in folders - e.g. hi-rez non-classical grouped into sub categories such as hi-rez rock, hi-rez jazz and blues, or non-hi-rez classical, etc, and most of the time use the folder view and just go to how I arranged the folders on the hard drive (I do this as well on the Bubble UPNP App I use with my Hegel Integrated in a back-up system as well).

If you have a USB hard drive with your music, I'd take it over to the dealer when they have some time to spend and go over the pros and cons of each and see how you like or don't like them (it's OK if something is not your thing but experiencing it first hand is easiest to reach whether it is a go or no go).  There won't be tons of support needed for normal operation/playback.  As long as one has an internet connection you will be prompted when there are updates and those don't take long.

Do you know of any simple to setup/use, affordable servers that have I2S output?

How could I use REW or Dirac Live on a server?

Phil A

« Reply #16 on: 13 Dec 2018, 04:04 pm »
Do you know of any simple to setup/use, affordable servers that have I2S output?

How could I use REW or Dirac Live on a server?

Don't believe you'll be able to use the latter with either Aurender or Lumin.  I also noted this above - https://www.sonore.us/ultraRendu.html   For example if one looks at that page, "Mode #4 - HQ Player NAA Output - This output utilizes streams from Signalyst's HQ Player running on your computer. Digital signal processing is performed by HQ Player and then asynchronously streamed to the Network Audio Adapter (NAA) output. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD."  So then one would need a PC powerful enough to run HQ player and also deal with computer issues.  I have a small fanless PC (HAL - had two - one bit the dust) and have JRiver and REW on it.  I have not used REW except for the RTA function though.

JLM

« Reply #17 on: 13 Dec 2018, 04:15 pm »
Don't believe you'll be able to use the latter with either Aurender or Lumin.  I also noted this above - https://www.sonore.us/ultraRendu.html   For example if one looks at that page, "Mode #4 - HQ Player NAA Output - This output utilizes streams from Signalyst's HQ Player running on your computer. Digital signal processing is performed by HQ Player and then asynchronously streamed to the Network Audio Adapter (NAA) output. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD."  So then one would need a PC powerful enough to run HQ player and also deal with computer issues.  I have a small fanless PC (HAL - had two - one bit the dust) and have JRiver and REW on it.  I have not used REW except for the RTA function though.

Remember, you're writing to a computer dunce, so most of the above is meaningless to me.  Frankly from my experience with the SGC my guess is that my MBA setup with REW or Dirac Live would be superior in terms of simplicity, cost, and SQ to any server without REW or Dirac Live.  Room shape/size/treatment can only get you so far to flat frequency response, which IMO is an essential audiophile requirement.

artur9

« Reply #18 on: 13 Dec 2018, 06:11 pm »
I wonder if something like this from Digibit is what you're looking for.  https://hifipig.com/aria-piccolo-music-server/

For a while they had a board one could put into an OPPO disc player that turned it into music server.

For my purposes I use minimserver running on a computer and a BDP-1 for playing into a DAC via BNC/Coax.

JLM

« Reply #19 on: 13 Dec 2018, 06:34 pm »
Any opinions of the Metrum Ambre server?  (Reportedly has I2S output.)  But as I understand although I2S has a reputation for being the best DAC input option for SQ, there is no industry standard for it.   :(