RCA-to XLR Adapters - are there significant differences?

dburna

Re: RCA-to XLR Adapters - are there significant differences?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Dec 2018, 05:37 pm »
You can buy rca to xlr cables from Monoprice.  They are quite inexpensive but work fine.  Using a set myself between my IceEdge amp and Nuprime preamp.

That's actually where I started. I had a Monoprice RCA-to-XLR cable between an iFi DAC and the Neumann KH120's,but the sound was muffled and rolled-off. Substituted the Stealth PGS cable (RCA) + adapter and the sound became much more clear and open. Not a fair comparison, though, as the Stealth cable is many multiples of the cost of the Monoprice. Many. However, I had it available to me and so I gave it a try. So far the Stealth + adapter realizes the best sound I've had in my rig.

Regards, -dGB

dburna

« Reply #21 on: 13 Dec 2018, 07:25 pm »
Agree, if you are going to buy XLR adapters then might as well get an RCA-XLR cable, unless you like your current RCA cables.  Although I seriously don't think you will hear a difference using the adapters.

I am thinking about getting a Don Sachs preamp to replace my BAT but I want to keep my XLR cables, so I may be using an XLR adapter in reverse to connect to the new preamp as it is single ended.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-rca-to-xlrm-adapter-cable

This would be a good option. Benchmark produces sound, no-nonsense cables at real-world prices. Might just give this a try.

Thanks, -dGB

ricmon

« Reply #22 on: 13 Dec 2018, 07:30 pm »
Saw this thread a little late but I've been using RCA to XLR cables for years.  Bought them here....great prices!!!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/RCA-to-XLR-Cables/ci/4201/N/3992462203

Ric

GregC

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jul 2019, 09:44 pm »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am in a similar situation now. 

I have RCA tape outputs from my preamp where I need to connect to a Benchmark ADC1 that only has XLR inputs.  I know that Benchmark sells RCA to XLR cables.  I could also buy high quality RCA to XLR cables elsewhere.   

I have decent quality gold plated XLR to RCA adapters on hand (similar to the ones sold at Moon Audio), so I decided to try my Triode Wire Labs RCA cables from the tape out into the XLR/RCA adapters to see how a recording would sound.  The first rip I did sounded great.  My system is capable of high resolution, so the last thing I want is the adapter to be a limiting factor.

Here are the options I am considering:

• Jensen transformers to convert RCA to XLR.
  • Purchase RCA to XLR cables.
  • Purchase the best possible RCA to XLR adapter like the Cardas Clear and use my Triode Wire Labs RCA cables.

The Jensen transformers are marketed as hum eliminators, but my system is quiet so I do not need the transformers for that purpose.  I would just want the 1:1 transformer to convert from RCA to balanced out and do the least amount of damage to the signal. 

I would appreciate opinions from others that had a similar situation.

Thanks,
Greg

Freo-1

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jul 2019, 09:51 pm »
I've used adapters for amps with good success.  That would be my recommendation.

Tyson

« Reply #25 on: 14 Jul 2019, 02:44 pm »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I am in a similar situation now. 

I have RCA tape outputs from my preamp where I need to connect to a Benchmark ADC1 that only has XLR inputs.  I know that Benchmark sells RCA to XLR cables.  I could also buy high quality RCA to XLR cables elsewhere.   

I have decent quality gold plated XLR to RCA adapters on hand (similar to the ones sold at Moon Audio), so I decided to try my Triode Wire Labs RCA cables from the tape out into the XLR/RCA adapters to see how a recording would sound.  The first rip I did sounded great.  My system is capable of high resolution, so the last thing I want is the adapter to be a limiting factor.

Here are the options I am considering:

• Jensen transformers to convert RCA to XLR.
  • Purchase RCA to XLR cables.
  • Purchase the best possible RCA to XLR adapter like the Cardas Clear and use my Triode Wire Labs RCA cables.

The Jensen transformers are marketed as hum eliminators, but my system is quiet so I do not need the transformers for that purpose.  I would just want the 1:1 transformer to convert from RCA to balanced out and do the least amount of damage to the signal. 

I would appreciate opinions from others that had a similar situation.

Thanks,
Greg

An RCA to XLR cable is best, obviously.  However some of the adapters are quite good.  I have some by Cardas it's very good.  I'd avoid the transformer unless you have noise/hum.  I have a pair of the Jensens, they are indeed pretty transparent, but it's better to not have them in the signal path if you don't need them.

GregC

« Reply #26 on: 14 Jul 2019, 05:08 pm »
An RCA to XLR cable is best, obviously.  However some of the adapters are quite good.  I have some by Cardas it's very good.  I'd avoid the transformer unless you have noise/hum.  I have a pair of the Jensens, they are indeed pretty transparent, but it's better to not have them in the signal path if you don't need them.

Thanks Tyson, after looking at my options I have come to the same conclusion.  Even with an adapter I hear no hum.  I only considered the Jensen for ideological reasons since it is often mentioned in balanced/unbalanced discussions. 

akmh

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 11 Aug 2019, 04:36 am »
I don't know if I should start a separate thread, but....I'm seeking "true" balanced to RCA adapters.

To run my system properly, I need to run two sets of cables: one to feed the MAIN amp and one to feed plate amps for sub-woofers.

I have a Mivera amp that should have had both RCA and XLR, but unfortunately was shipped with just RCA. My Comet Exogal serves as dac AND pre-amp and the Comet has BOTH RCA and XLR outputs. Previously, I could send the Comet's XLR output directly to my NCore amplifiers (XLR inputs) and send the Comet's RCA outputs directly to plate amplifiers [RCA inputs only] which run the sub-woofers using long RCA/RCA interconnects. That worked perfectly

HOWEVER, now I can only run the Comet's RCA outputs TO the Mivera's RCA inputs.
I TRIED to run the Comet's XLR outputs to the plate amps by using Comet's XLR outputs with "balanced" adapters [XLR to RCA] and it simply does note work. There is literally no sound. I checked the configuration. I emailed Exogal (Comet) and was told that the CONCEPT should work, but I MAY need TRUE balanced adapters.

Does anyone know what might solve this problem?
Can anyone recommend a proper XLR to RCA adapter that might resolve this issue?

FWIW, the adapter I used is a Hosa Technology "GXF-132 RCA to XLR3F"

Thank you for your feedback.

Take a multimeter to the adaptor. Is pin 2 going to the TIP? Is pin 1 shorting to the tip? I would assume that you have a problem at that adaptor. It should be no issue taking a balanced connection into a SE input as long as pin 2 goes to tip and pin 3 and 1 go to shield. I'd be happy to build you a quality pair of XLR to RCA cables that does this.