CDP SACD/ Transport recommendations

carusoracer

CDP SACD/ Transport recommendations
« on: 30 Nov 2018, 02:22 pm »
I’m looking for a quality CDP Universal or SACD capable newer or recently outdated.
Features I would need is USB, Coaxial, output, IEC inlet, remote control.

Really interested in the Transport qualities of the unit IE mechanism, power supply, serviceability.

The units I have come across briefly in my search are from Oppo and Marantz.
This Transport would be connected to The Denafrips Pontus DAC.

I tried searching for some of the elderly  statesmen, real CDP’s from mid and early 2000 from Phillips or Sony, Levinson, but no real luck.

Thanks for looking! 

Samoyed

Re: CDP SACD/ Transport recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2018, 03:35 pm »
Nuprime cdt 8 pro, with upsampling, but no sacd. I love mine!

witchdoctor

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2018, 04:17 pm »
I love the Sony UHPH1, the new model is the UBP-X1000ES. It sounds great and is designed as an universal audio player that also does 4K blueray.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/ubp-x1000es

https://www.whathifi.com/sony/ubp-x1000es/review

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2018, 04:40 pm »
Any transport is going to have a drive that's made (most often by another manufacturer like Sony or Philips) and only supported for so long (e.g. 7 years).  Once the drive is no longer available to repair the unit, the manufacturer probably has moved into a new range of models.  In order for them to use the old transport, they would have to test a bunch of different drives and then write new software to make that drive work.  They are simply not going to do that and waste resources and build off of old DAC chips and other parts that may not be available currently or in the near future.  A place like Accessories4less will have authorized factory refurbs - https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/cdplayer/home-audio/audio-components/cd-sacd-players/1.html   So one should expect that buying an older unit could result in that unit being obsolete (and unable to be repaired) sooner than most more modern units.

carusoracer

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2018, 05:22 pm »
Any thoughts of Marantz , Sony sleepers, or Oppo 105?
I’m not opposed to a real quality unit that was one of the big boys that were considered to be standards of their time?

Perhaps another way of inquiring is what are some of the Modded Transports favorites?

Thanks for the replies.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2018, 01:30 am »
Gentlemen, please, respect the pricing guidelines, $350 maximum for any one component that's not a multi function unit,  amp/dac/server etc. 

The Onkyo 7030 remanufactured at Accessoriesforless.com that Phil linked to has had my eye for some time, but currently out of stock.  Older Denon universal players seem to hold up fairly well.   My ancient Oppo finally died, but the transport still worked, older models might be had under guidelines.   Note that Elizabeth just posted in another circle she buys $40 universal players to use as transports and just tosses them when the laser dies.  I think she said she has five of them lying around.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2018, 02:27 am »
I don't know about currently repair problems (and given its age its not what I would think of as a long term solution) but since I had tons of unused transports around, I sold my Marantz DV9600 about two years ago or a hair more (I gave a good deal at that time - it was $2k or $2.1k list originally (also got rid of a couple of LD players and discs about two years back and I still have at least one transport in every system and a couple of them in two systems).  At one point many moons back I used it in my main system.  It was an excellent DVD player, exceptional DVD-A and quite decent (better than most would expect) at CD and SACD.  More importantly, since I have had outboard DACs in my systems for many years, I was among the best CD transports I've ever owned (the one I owned that was better was a very expensive Proceed PMDT and at the time I was using the DV9600 as a CD transport I had more than 10 transports around, including multiple Oppos).  Here's a review of the unit - https://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/cd-players-and-recorders/marantz-dv9600-281484/review  and note "Marantz has also designed the chassis to separate the audio, video, transport and PSU stages; with a substantial transport mechanism and large transformer inside, these need to be isolated from the delicate audio and video circuits."

So that's one thought that pops up.  Here is one that just almost 3.5 years back - https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649212002-marantz-dv9600-universal-player/
That seems like a great deal assuming it was in good working order.  I'm also not into disc playback at this point.  While I have disc players, they are mainly for video and if someone comes over with a disc they can play it.

carusoracer

« Reply #7 on: 1 Dec 2018, 06:29 am »
Thanks for the replies!  And you make a valid point. I’m trying and hoping to land a quality transport for under $350. I’m a little more concerned now that I keep hearing  the older Oppo’s die.
I have a 15 year old you Onkyo that I can’t break!

I’ll keep an eye out for the Marantz. The description matches ultimately what I’m looking for.

Cheers