My 12 year old 55 inch Panasonic plasma just won't die!

Emil

Re: My 12 year old 55 inch Panasonic plasma just won't die!
« Reply #40 on: 30 Nov 2018, 02:55 pm »
STOP THE PRESSES

I convinced my wife into getting a 70-90 inch screen and she was sober

Budget is $4k and that includes the TV and entertainment center

Check out this 86incher!
https://www.pcrichard.com/LG/LG-UK6570-Series-86inch-Class-(85-6inch-Diagonal)-LED-Ultra-HD-4K-Smart-TV-with-HDR/86UK6570.pcrp
I would think an extended warranty is a must.

Comments? Other suggestions? Go smaller? Viewing distance roughly 12-15 feet

Dont want to sacrifice quality for size. Looking for that sweet spot

wushuliu

« Reply #41 on: 30 Nov 2018, 04:22 pm »
STOP THE PRESSES

I convinced my wife into getting a 70-90 inch screen and she was sober

Budget is $4k and that includes the TV and entertainment center

Check out this 86incher!
https://www.pcrichard.com/LG/LG-UK6570-Series-86inch-Class-(85-6inch-Diagonal)-LED-Ultra-HD-4K-Smart-TV-with-HDR/86UK6570.pcrp
I would think an extended warranty is a must.

Comments? Other suggestions? Go smaller? Viewing distance roughly 12-15 feet

Dont want to sacrifice quality for size. Looking for that sweet spot

RTings review is so-so. At least for movies.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uk6570

A_shah

« Reply #42 on: 1 Dec 2018, 02:15 pm »
I think it may actually be older :icon_lol:

I really want a 65 inch but cannot justify it as long as the Panasonic is still kicking.

I have my eye on these new OlED sets particularly this LG.
https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-OLED65C8PUA-65-Inch-Ultra/dp/B079V3J3Y9

I watch mostly cable TV ( Optimum Cablevision here on Long island)  with some streaming thru Amazon and Netflix. Would the LG be overkill?
is the signal from cable and netflix of good quality to take full advantage of this cutting edge technology?

Comments and advice much appreciated

Hello !
I am in a similar situation I have a 58" Panasonic Plasma that is 11 years old and refuses to die, so this September a deal come on Costco on line to purchase the highly rate Vizio P65Q 65 " Quantum TV Tax included $ 1533.00 I have been evaluating that since 9/15/2018 hoping I could find an OLED LG C8 which is fabulous in picture quality  during Xmas time for the right price !  or a 75" TV which I really want ,but way to expensive to justify the cost !  but here is the funny part when I turn the Panny on  most programs seem to look the same ? even HDR content  seems to be Well ???  I either stream or use an OPPO 205, I have until December 27, 2018 to make up my mind the Wife thinks she does not see any difference in picture quality between to the two TV on most programming it that possible ??  maybe it is our eyes  :scratch:  :popcorn:

Asghar

guf

« Reply #43 on: 1 Dec 2018, 04:21 pm »
he's what I'm gathering from this thread....

Members keep their televisions for a LONG time. In the 8 years I had mine I went through so many different audio components its ridiculous. The price for the "top of the line" tv (OLED something)  is not that much comparatively. Cost per day over 8, 10, 12 years?

Do people watch more TV than they do listening to their music systems?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #44 on: 1 Dec 2018, 04:29 pm »
My 58" Panny Plasma is still working fine as well!

I have no plans to replace it, tvs just get better and cheaper every year and I think the Plasma tvs still look good... maybe not top end OLED good, but good enough for me. :)  I don't use it a lot of hours either, so it's not a big priority.

WGH

« Reply #45 on: 1 Dec 2018, 05:02 pm »

Do people watch more TV than they do listening to their music systems?

My 60" Panny Plasma is only 6 years so hopefully I have another 6 to go.

My stereo music system is integrated into the 5.1 TV, Blu-ray home theater, computer streaming setup. The majority of time is spent listening is radio and recorded music with video only 2-3 hours nightly. 

Photon46

« Reply #46 on: 1 Dec 2018, 05:14 pm »
I think this short op-ed from CNET sums it up pretty well: https://www.cnet.com/news/i-still-watch-my-plasma-tv-even-though-my-oled-is-better/

wushuliu

« Reply #47 on: 1 Dec 2018, 07:07 pm »
I definitely agree that if you can't tell the difference between a plasma and a decent LED/OLED then keep it. That's if you don't count the fact that the plasma probably weighs at least 90lbs (starting with 50"), and we aren't getting any younger. That was another reason I was happy to get rid of mine. I sold it for 1/14th the cost. I was lucky to get anything for it at all. You have to *pay* places like Best Buy now to recycle it for you. New TV only weighs 30lbs...

syzygy

« Reply #48 on: 1 Dec 2018, 07:20 pm »
I don’t carry mine around very often.

WGH

« Reply #49 on: 1 Dec 2018, 08:17 pm »
I put old electronics at the curb and it's gone in less than an hour.

twitch54

« Reply #50 on: 2 Dec 2018, 01:22 am »
I definitely agree that if you can't tell the difference between a plasma and a decent LED/OLED then keep it. That's if you don't count the fact that the plasma probably weighs at least 90lbs (starting with 50"), and we aren't getting any younger. That was another reason I was happy to get rid of mine. I sold it for 1/14th the cost. I was lucky to get anything for it at all. You have to *pay* places like Best Buy now to recycle it for you. New TV only weighs 30lbs...

LOL, time for you to hit the gym !

twitch54

« Reply #51 on: 2 Dec 2018, 01:28 am »
My 42" Panasonic plasma uses 293 watts. A 55" LG OLED uses 370 watts. I spent a few days investigating new tvs when my Panasonic was in for repair. There are many video afficianados who believe that plasma is still top of the image chain.

From what I've found top OLEDs are also still behind plasma with regard to viewing angle and especially motion. I'm sure I'll end up with an OLED one of these days but that won't happen until my plasma is dead. Hopefully by then OLEDs will have surpassed or at least caught up with plasma.

Cheers,

Scott

agreed, same with mine. Unless your arse is glued to the 'idiot box' (my mother always called it that) the $$ differential is minor and if need to worry about it then get a second job.

ctviggen

« Reply #52 on: 2 Dec 2018, 11:04 am »
My plasma (I forget the maker) started developing lines in it after a few years. I gave it away.

I have an OLED now.  Which is better?  I did not have them at the same time using the same sources and calibrated to test.

mav52

« Reply #53 on: 2 Dec 2018, 03:04 pm »
I've got a 60" Pany Plasma that just keeps on looking good, no issues at all.   

Emil

« Reply #54 on: 6 Jan 2019, 04:22 pm »

Went with the Sony :thumb:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-led-x900f-series-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-hdr/6179726.p?skuId=6179726

If you have a plasma and picture quality is of importance, its time to move on to current technology. It's just better.

jonbee

« Reply #55 on: 6 Jan 2019, 05:04 pm »
My last-gen VT60 Panny 55" plasma is 4 years old and going strong. It looks great and has good features.
I'm an audio first guy, so whatever incremental video improvement is gained is not a priority.
I feel the same way about my 15 year old Avalon Opus speakers. They were $$$ used but I've not heard better speakers for my room at anywhere near the price.
When my stuff dies or big improvements become available at reasonable cost I'll step up the the latest and greatest, but I avoid having planned obsolescence make my decisions for me.

Mike B.

« Reply #56 on: 6 Jan 2019, 05:09 pm »
I have a older Samsung Plasma still putting out a excellent picture. It is a 50 inch model which was considered big when I purchased it.

fredgarvin

« Reply #57 on: 6 Jan 2019, 05:49 pm »
A couple of guys I know have new 4k TV's, I can't stand the soap opera effect, it just looks terrible. I suppose it's the motion smoothing they have enabled but they seem happy so I haven't bothered to say anything. My plasma has an excellent film quality and no worries about motion.

ctviggen

« Reply #58 on: 6 Jan 2019, 05:52 pm »
I've been watching 4K shows via Amazon on my 4K OLED TV, and there's definitely a benefit to 4K.  It doesn't seem that huge, but it's noticeable. 

wushuliu

« Reply #59 on: 6 Jan 2019, 06:10 pm »
A couple of guys I know have new 4k TV's, I can't stand the soap opera effect, it just looks terrible. I suppose it's the motion smoothing they have enabled but they seem happy so I haven't bothered to say anything. My plasma has an excellent film quality and no worries about motion.

It’s a feature they enabled. Mine has no such issues. Some TVs are better others with motion and for some reason there are people who like the soap opera effect. Dunno why. Not as popular as it used to be though.