Power cables

Don_S

Re: Power cables
« Reply #20 on: 16 Nov 2018, 08:50 pm »
Some equipment is more sensitive to power cords than others. Hearing no difference on one device should not be used as definitive proof PCs never matter.

Changing PCs on some of my equipment was "meh".  :dunno: Changing PCs on my Quad ESL-2805s was  :o :singing:

Photon46

« Reply #21 on: 16 Nov 2018, 09:50 pm »
Some equipment is more sensitive to power cords than others. Hearing no difference on one device should not be used as definitive proof PCs never matter.

Changing PCs on some of my equipment was "meh".  :dunno: Changing PCs on my Quad ESL-2805s was  :o :singing:

Exactly my experience. On amps that I've tried lately, power cord changes with an Aloia ST 13.01 amp made little to no difference I could hear, cord changes on Ice Power AST1200 module amp were definitely audible, power cord changes on PS Audio BHK amp and preamps are extremely noticeable in their ability to affect changes in sound. If you try six different cords on a component, each may or may not have an effect in my experience. I've never heard anyone claim that a power cord can affect the sound of a turntable. That would really push the envelope of audio voodoo into the furthest reaches of the twilight zone. 

Charles Calkins

« Reply #22 on: 21 Nov 2018, 12:49 am »

Hi Guys:

A little update on power cords. I listen to LP's I  listen to Cd's Most of the time I listen to internet jazz radio stations.
        Don't know why but some of them sound like CRAP!! and others sound Great!!. The internet stations I listen to are
        through a Cambridge stream magic 6. A very,very,very great product.

Cheers
                                           Charlie

Elizabeth

• Love is all there is....
« Reply #23 on: 21 Nov 2018, 02:40 am »
Just to mention tossing in an good aftermarket AC Duplex in with the fancy powercords also makes everything better.
This Summer I started in replacing my duplex outlets with Furutech GTX.. Eventually I replaced all duplex, including in my two conditioners. Made a great improvement. (but it cost a lot, even though I got them on sale) If I would have spent the same on power cords, I would have maybe two AQ Hurricane...

Photon46

« Reply #24 on: 21 Nov 2018, 04:01 pm »
Just to mention tossing in an good aftermarket AC Duplex in with the fancy powercords also makes everything better.
This Summer I started in replacing my duplex outlets with Furutech GTX.. Eventually I replaced all duplex, including in my two conditioners. Made a great improvement. (but it cost a lot, even though I got them on sale) If I would have spent the same on power cords, I would have maybe two AQ Hurricane...

Yeah, cost/benefit ratios on upgrades of this nature are hard to quantify. I've been buying Hubbell HBL5262 duplexes and they make an obvious improvement in sound over builder grade duplexes. I have a hard time justifying spending four times or more the $30.00 they cost on Furutech duplexes, even though I do use many of Furutech ac connectors and power cables in my two systems. Chasing that last Nth degree of resolution gets ever more costly.

Elizabeth

« Reply #25 on: 21 Nov 2018, 04:22 pm »
I would not have gone for the Furutech, but they were on sale. The GTX-D gold were 50% off! (at VH Audio) Once I started and heard the results... I just got carried away. Once in a lifetime I figure, I will never need to buy another duplex outlet.. ever again.

witchdoctor

« Reply #26 on: 21 Nov 2018, 05:03 pm »
Congrats on your new PC. I found the wall socket made an even bigger difference. They are less than $100 and Pangea offers a few different types.

toocool4

« Reply #27 on: 21 Nov 2018, 05:58 pm »
I have the Furutech’s Rhodium wall sockets, when I first put them in I did not notice a difference that I could say yes it did of did not. It was did I hear that or is it my mind playing tricks on me.
Funny enough about 1 month later, I was listening to music and I thought everything sounded so much better. I went through everything try to work out if I had changed anything, could not find anything then I remembered I had changed the wall sockets a month before. Whether it was the wall sockets or the system had settled back down I don’t know, my system is never switched off.

One thing that I have found that makes a noticeable night and day difference is when I added a double conversion (meaning regenerative) power conditioner into my system, wow I was not expecting that much of a difference. The last time I heard that much of an improvement was the new pre-amp to mine and that was £2800 more.   

witchdoctor

« Reply #28 on: 21 Nov 2018, 06:44 pm »
This is an interesting thread, generally when I post about the virtues of power conditioning I get flamed.

Elizabeth

« Reply #29 on: 21 Nov 2018, 06:59 pm »
This is an interesting thread, generally when I post about the virtues of power conditioning I get flamed.
The moderator has been working hard to end the nonsense. I am certain several folks have been warned to stop... Well. you know....
So it may be possible that threads in this circle will florish.

toocool4

« Reply #30 on: 21 Nov 2018, 08:02 pm »

I don’t know why people should flame you for talking about power conditioning, if they don’t believe in it then that is there issue.
I mean with power cable it’s never been night and day for me in fact it’s always been did I hear that or is it confirmation bias because I just put it in? even though that is what I think I don’t say people who can hear it are deluded. I have friends that have spent hundreds of pounds on power cables, we just agree to disagree.     

Here is what i wrote when i got my power conditioner https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152774.0

RDavidson

« Reply #31 on: 21 Nov 2018, 08:29 pm »
+1 I don't get it either.
People are entitled to their own experiences.
In addition, even hardcore science circles don't dispute that phenomena exists...so why dispute any of this?

JakeJ

« Reply #32 on: 21 Nov 2018, 11:24 pm »
Hi folks,

Great thread!  Keep up the good discussion.  Here is one of my best power cable finds:
https://www.takefiveaudio.com/categories/217-powercords
I think Take Five Audio is one of the unsung heroes of reasonably priced cables...in the grand scheme of high end audio.

I'm at work at the moment but I will double check which model I have and report back in the thread (Neotech is constantly evolving their products).  Best attribute - low noise, blackest background of any power cable I have.  Using it on my PASS Labs X350.5 amp.

Also here is a suggestion for cable management.  I tried the "channeling" method like Elizabeth and had a similar experience trying to remove one set of I/C's.  My answer is Velcro bundling wrap.  Just a strip of material with hooks on one side and loops on the other.  Here are a couple of cheap solutions:
WARNING: NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR INABILITY TO STOP BUYING STUFF FROM AMERICAN SCIENCE & SURPLUS!  Way too much cool stuff!
https://www.sciplus.com/10pack-strapping-43491-p
https://www.sciplus.com/3m-scotch-bundling-wrap--62989-p
Just don't over do it.

JakeJ

« Reply #33 on: 23 Nov 2018, 06:23 pm »
Here is the PC I got from TFA.  I believe mine is the Mk II version of this wire as I've had it for two years at least.
https://www.takefiveaudio.com/products/1567-neotech-nep-3002-mk-iii-powercord-deep-cryo-treated/

Sorry for the late follow up.

Elizabeth

« Reply #34 on: 14 Dec 2018, 02:53 pm »
Audio Advisor has the Pangea AC14XL on sale. Up to now I have balked at buying them due to the high price, the wierd price structure, and the adverts about pure copper plugs.
(I wrongly assumed that the plugs had no plating)
Anyway, with the various lengths on sale from 14% to 33% (actually evening out the bizarre price structure) I jumped on some. Bought three to start. two 4m and one 2m. Stuck them in on the amp and power conditioner to break in, and the 2m on a preamp.   After two days moved the 4m off those and to two other preamps. (yes I have a lot of preamps)
After a day i could say yeah this is better.
So I bought three more. two 2m and another 4m. Got those yesterday and plugged two in the amp and power conditioner again to break in a bit. This morning moved the 4m off the amp to my marantz SA-10.
My cords are a mess, since I just cannot easily get out the old ones... A later project.!!

One thing about these Pangea AC14XL. the IEC sockets are DIRTY. I clean all new plugs with a bit of Automotive superfine polish Meguiars Scratch X. And these IEC are the dirtiest I ever saw inside.
I used Q-Tips I pull some of the cotton off, and flatten the paper stick some with a pliers.Then using the Scratch X insert them into the IEC holes.. Took a lot to get them to not turn black over and over.
Finally I add some Caig Gold to finish. PS the XL are gold plated. not bare copper. Not once in all the advertising or blurbs do they mention they ARE gold plated.
The Pangea XL IEC plugs do grip better. Certainly no 'grip of death' as advertised... but better than standard IEC. The XL Edison plugs also grip better.
As for the sound? since I just a few minutes ago added the last XL to the amp when I swapped yesterdays new one to the Marantz.. and itis only early morning.. I cannot play very loud..
But the first three after a day were making better sounds.. particularly treble was happy sounding. rather realistic sounds too. better than before. So worth the money for me vs the Pangea AC14SE I just bought this recent Summer. (oddly the 14SE powercords got me to buy all the Furutech AC duplex. and without the Furtech duplex I do not think I would hear as much from the XL cords...)

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
« Reply #35 on: 14 Dec 2018, 04:45 pm »
  Three PC manufacturers to check out. TWL here on AC. Audio Envy and for the exotic Swiss Cable Co. They do no harm to signal yet have different characters and attributes. One size does not fit all from one component or conditioner to another in my experience.
 Try them all if a 30 day MBG is available. Nothing to loose.

charles

ajzepp

« Reply #36 on: 21 Dec 2018, 05:20 am »
lol - You'll make Elizabeth happy.   :popcorn:

I like the relatively inexpensive www.cullencable.com

I have never, and likely will never, believe that ICs and speaker wires make a hill of beans difference. So like some others, I was very skeptical about the power cord. That being said, a product I bought for my headphone rig (which included a power supply) blew my mind a couple months ago. So I did some research and ended up contacting Cullen Cable for a power cord to play around with. I purchased a 10' one because I wanted to try it on my projector first. Unfortunately the plug was too damn big for my projector, so that was a no-go...but I decided to put it on my Butler amp tonight for SnGs...

I'm not saying there's a difference, but I'm PRETTY SURE I can hear a difference...I sure as heck don't need a 10' cord for my amp, but I'm more inclined to keep this thing as opposed to sending it back. So my eyes have been opened in terms of upgrades on the power side of things, even if I'm standing my ground on the other stuff. (I've just never heard any difference with wires and ICs...can't see spending money on upgrades there.)

toocool4

« Reply #37 on: 21 Dec 2018, 11:08 am »

I'm not saying there's a difference, but I'm PRETTY SURE I can hear a difference...

Make up your mind there either is or not? You can’t have both  :nono:

OzarkTom

« Reply #38 on: 21 Dec 2018, 03:25 pm »
Add another exotic cable to the list. I know a dealer that likes the Synergistic Reasearch cables the best. He is not a dealer though, but wants to be very badly.

Some audio companies are very picky about who sells their stuff.

charmerci

« Reply #39 on: 22 Dec 2018, 12:45 am »
I have never, and likely will never, believe that ICs and speaker wires make a hill of beans difference. So like some others, I was very skeptical about the power cord. That being said, a product I bought for my headphone rig (which included a power supply) blew my mind a couple months ago. So I did some research and ended up contacting Cullen Cable for a power cord to play around with. I purchased a 10' one because I wanted to try it on my projector first. Unfortunately the plug was too damn big for my projector, so that was a no-go...but I decided to put it on my Butler amp tonight for SnGs...

I'm not saying there's a difference, but I'm PRETTY SURE I can hear a difference...I sure as heck don't need a 10' cord for my amp, but I'm more inclined to keep this thing as opposed to sending it back. So my eyes have been opened in terms of upgrades on the power side of things, even if I'm standing my ground on the other stuff. (I've just never heard any difference with wires and ICs...can't see spending money on upgrades there.)

:lol:

For so long, I believed that cables were not supposed to make a difference in the sound. I just bought some better, not too expensive IC's just because I bought some new equipment and thought I should have something better than "patch cords". I was not expecting anything nor did I have ANY expectations at all..... until I heard the difference.

Granted, it's not a night and day difference but noticeable enough for me. It's always most noticeable when I crank it up. Up goes the volume on cheap stuff and I cringe as my hearing/mind just can't take the harshness and I HAVE to turn it down. With the better cords, I can turn it up louder and longer.