Power cables

Charles Calkins

Power cables
« on: 16 Nov 2018, 12:27 am »

Hi Guys:

I have always been leery of buying a power cable. The product IMHO was in the snake oil department.
                 After reading a LOT!! about power cables I decided to give it a try. Something CHEAP!! that didn't cost too much
                 and I could return if I did not like it. From Auioadvisor I bought a Pangea AC 14SE MII  power cable for my Mac 352 amp.
                 That sucker works!! Right away I heard everything much better. Not a whole lot but enough to satisfy me. Much tighter bass.
                 Midrange about the same. Way up there where the bells and whistles are an improvement. I'm very pleased with the product.

Now I'm thinking(problem for me) I'll get a power cable for my turntable. From Audioadvisor I bought a Pangea AC-1 14SE power cable.
                 Played a London phase 4 stereo LP. with the original power cable. Switched to the Pangea power cable Played the same LP.
                 Did not make any difference. Could not hear anything better or worse.

So based on my findings a very good amp power cable makes a difference. There are some power cables out there that cost as
                much as house. I'm not sure an increase in price for a power cable would make much difference. Who knows? I don't.

Cheers
                                                                               Charlie

P.S.
                     Turkey day is almost here. Happy Holidays to all my audiocircle buds and families.

Early B.

Re: Power cables
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2018, 12:35 am »
Yeah, you got a problem -- power cords can make a huge difference, and the good ones can cost $500 - $750 used. Spending more than that just doesn't make sense, unless you have a ton of extra expendable income.

I would suggest that you play around with the Pangea on different components. IMO, the best location for a single power cable upgrade is from the wall to the power conditioner so all components can benefit. Then bite the bullet and start upgrading all of your power cables and power conditioner. Be forewarned, though, you'll need to upgrade your interconnects, too, so if you're gonna go down this rabbit hole, go all in or go home.   

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • All Tweeters look like a target, then shoot them!
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2018, 12:41 am »
Early B if you dont want bother made your own power cable look at this nonsense Steve Decker Silver awg 10 power cable at $189 for 1,5M long, however its stranded not solid core:
http://www.decware.com/newsite/powercords.htm

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2018, 12:44 am »
lol - You'll make Elizabeth happy.   :popcorn:

I like the relatively inexpensive www.cullencable.com

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • All Tweeters look like a target, then shoot them!
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2018, 02:01 am »
This Decware power cable could be silver coated copper by the price, I not sure what it is, I would prefer all occ copper, all silver if ultra refined is expensive.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2018, 02:17 am »
Mentioned me! Yes I find Pangea to offer good value for the money.
I AM a cheapskate! I can spend a lot if I think it matters. but for powercords it would take way too much money to be a lot better than the Pangea.
For the op.. I also have not found a better powercord to matter for sound, going to the Turntable motor!
What I would suggest to the op is EXPERIMENT. Move that one Pangea around. And may I suggest getting a Pangea AC9SE mk2 Signature for your amplifier. Put the 14 on my preamp or source. Move them around! I have some AC9SEmk2 Signature on my preamp (it just sounds better)

Steve

« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2018, 02:58 am »
      Hi Guys:

Now I'm thinking(problem for me) I'll get a power cable for my turntable. From Audioadvisor I bought a Pangea AC-1 14SE power cable.
                 Played a London phase 4 stereo LP. with the original power cable. Switched to the Pangea power cable Played the same LP.
                 Did not make any difference. Could not hear anything better or worse.

Cheers
                                                                               Charlie

P.S.
                     Turkey day is almost here. Happy Holidays to all my audiocircle buds and families.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well Charlie.   :D

The power cord on the TT won't make any difference since it only powers the platter motor. So it is not in any signal path.

Hope this helps Charlie.

steve

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2018, 03:04 am »
I AM a cheapskate!

Don't believe this, OP. Her system consists of top shelf components! 8)  And I predict that soon, she's gonna move way beyond those Pangea power cords. Sure, they're a good value, but still entry level.

My approach is to buy power cords that were all the rage several years ago and may have cost above a grand or two when new, but can now be had for a fraction of the cost.

JackD

« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2018, 03:26 am »
The logical step up from Pangea is Clarus Cables from the same designer Jay Victor. 

http://www.claruscable.com/intro.cfm

Their Aqua line even looks similar.

http://www.claruscable.com/aqua.cfm

MttBsh

« Reply #9 on: 16 Nov 2018, 03:49 am »
I tried a I tried a Zenwave PL Powercable https://zenwaveaudio.com/power-cables/ a couple of years ago and was so impressed by the sound improvements it made that I am now using them on every component in my system. They're not inexpensive but in my opinion would be hard to beat at any price.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 16 Nov 2018, 03:53 am »
I was always skeptical about power cables but tried a Cullen Cable on my Pass amp.  There was a slight but noticeable improvement in clarity. 

I recently bought a used PS Audio AC3 cable from someone here on AC to try on my BAT preamp.  I had no illusions of hearing any difference as I tried an old Audioquest power cable with it and there was no difference in sound.  But I astounded to hear an improvement in clarity along with a more vibrant and dynamic sound.  The background was blacker as well.  Now I have a rats nest of cables behind my audio rack and I suspect that the cables have better shielding but there could be more to it.

Voodoo, snake oil, my imagination, who cares as long as I can hear a difference.
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2018, 03:57 pm by I.Greyhound Fan »

Elizabeth

« Reply #11 on: 16 Nov 2018, 01:07 pm »
"Rat's nest of cables..." I just keep the AC power cords away from the IC, and it seems good.
I like  a little too long IC over just right (future proofing) so my  cables are a little messier than needed.
My main rack has a back central spine, with some metal screen material, I like to Zip Tie the power cords to it. Keeps them out of the way, AND keeps them from sagging and pulling out since the IEC socket is not supporting the weight of the power cord.

twitch54

« Reply #12 on: 16 Nov 2018, 02:37 pm »
Yeah, you got a problem -- power cords can make a huge difference, and the good ones can cost $500 - $750 used. Spending more than that just doesn't make sense, unless you have a ton of extra expendable income.

I'm sorry but the above paragraph made me laugh. The last sentence, absolute zero logic .....

nc42acc

« Reply #13 on: 16 Nov 2018, 02:47 pm »
I was a skeptic as well but when I switched to the JPS Kativator PC on my Nord 1200as mono amps I was amazed at the sonic difference. I am now a believer. And like others have said you will hear no difference on your turntable but try them on your amp, preamp or dac and you will.

S Clark

• Volunteer
  • measurement? We don't need no stinkin measurement
« Reply #14 on: 16 Nov 2018, 02:53 pm »

My approach is to buy power cords that were all the rage several years ago and may have cost above a grand or two when new, but can now be had for a fraction of the cost.
This is my M.O. as well.  Buy last years latest and greatest on the used market.  I like TWL and Wywires... but if you don't think P.C.'s make a difference, that's ok too.  Doesn't bother me or change what I like. 

nc42acc

« Reply #15 on: 16 Nov 2018, 02:57 pm »
Great idea....I peruse Audiogone, Ebay and Audiomart weekly looking for deals like this.

This is my M.O. as well.  Buy last years latest and greatest on the used market.  I like TWL and Wywires... but if you don't think P.C.'s make a difference, that's ok too.  Doesn't bother me or change what I like.

RDavidson

« Reply #16 on: 16 Nov 2018, 03:56 pm »
On the topic of the importance of power quality/power delivery in general, here's an interesting article from the man, Nelson Pass : https://www.stereophile.com/content/power-according-pass

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #17 on: 16 Nov 2018, 04:04 pm »
"Rat's nest of cables..." I just keep the AC power cords away from the IC, and it seems good.
I like  a little too long IC over just right (future proofing) so my  cables are a little messier than needed.
My main rack has a back central spine, with some metal screen material, I like to Zip Tie the power cords to it. Keeps them out of the way, AND keeps them from sagging and pulling out since the IEC socket is not supporting the weight of the power cord.

I do the same thing but with a DAC, phono pre, Regen, Usb cable, 2 subs and a tuner, there are a lot of cables.  I too have a rack with a perforated metal back plate for cable management and use zip ties.  I am thinking about getting some flexible vinyl or pvc corrugated hose and run my wires through a few of them for more shielding and better cable management

Elizabeth

« Reply #18 on: 16 Nov 2018, 04:12 pm »
I am thinking about getting some flexible vinyl or pvc corrugated hose and run my wires through a few of them for more shielding and better cable management
The down side is when you want to fiddle around, or move stuff. All thsoe nice neat packaged wires are a PITA when it is time to move one, but not the others....
My worst ever experience was channeling a bunch of IC and then, a year later wanting to move one. I could not pull that one set of IC out.. Jeesh was I mad. And I damaged a cable.
So for me, never again.
Al alternative are those C clips that are sticky tape on back to stay put and have a locking round clip that opens like a C. Insert wires clip shut. Only problems are they can fall off. not sticky enough, or you can never remove them... too sticky! (One solution is zip tie the C clip base besides sticking on)

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
« Reply #19 on: 16 Nov 2018, 08:07 pm »
  Power cords can and do have a sonic signature from manf .to manf. That said I want a cable that adds zero to my sound. Why because the components used just do not need coloring.
For us when inserting a different PC we look for a more open transparent sound only. Artifacts such as more 3D imaging, quieter background, bigger sound stage and of course Quieter background  If PC changes tonality in any way it is removed.
We have also found price does not equal performance unfortunately.
Have fun trying.

charles