New Studio Monitor

Broncosaurs

Re: New Studio Monitor
« Reply #80 on: 7 Feb 2019, 06:38 pm »
Is the front baffle or the flat packs and speaker/xover kits available?  What would be needed to cross over to the two 165s?

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #81 on: 7 Feb 2019, 07:38 pm »
Is the front baffle or the flat packs and speaker/xover kits available?  What would be needed to cross over to the two 165s?

I will be designing a floor standing version with a pair of the M-165 woofers below.

And yes the front baffle is going to be included in the kit.

Captainhemo

« Reply #82 on: 8 Feb 2019, 06:58 pm »
Here, I added enough length to the original model to  position the tweeter center at  37.5" then  spaced a couple M165's below the NQ  at the same spacing as the  Otica's.  After radius's, there's enough room on the rear for a .5" brace  between the  drivers, could space them a bit more  for a  .75"  brace.

jay

nickd

« Reply #83 on: 8 Feb 2019, 10:31 pm »
Danny,
It would be nice to hear your thoughts on this.
I was thinking of running the small version of this monitor with servo subs. Filtering the main amp at 100hz for mid range clarity and full range bass. The pair m165’s in the floor stander still need a sub in my opinion even though they add a bit of mid bass dynamic.

Are large crossover parts in the “three way”passive tower worth the small improvements to mid bass the tower may have? Or will one 6” driver running from 100hz to 2khz with out a big cap in line be preferred?
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2019, 02:44 am by nickd »

Captainhemo

« Reply #84 on: 8 Feb 2019, 11:50 pm »
Goofed on that model,   it would be a sealaed cabinet  so the layout would be more like this to give the M165's  the necessary  air space.

jay

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #85 on: 9 Feb 2019, 02:17 am »
Danny,
It would be nice to hear your thoughts on this.
I was thinking shouting running the small version of this monitor with servo subs. Filtering the main amp at 100hz for mid range clarity and full range bass. The pair m165’s in the floor stander still need a sub in my opinion even though the add a bit of mid bass dynamic.

Are large crossover parts in the “three way”passive tower worth the small improvements to mid bass the tower may have? Or will one 6” driver running from 100hz to 2khz with out a big cap in line be preferred?

A three way version has been in the plans all along. And it will have several advantages. I'll build a pair out and let everyone know what I think.