B&G Neo8 in waveguide?

Fjendbo

B&G Neo8 in waveguide?
« on: 9 Nov 2018, 11:49 am »
Hi,

Just a quick question.

Have anyone tried a B&G Neo8 in a waveguide similar to the waveguide used in the Hawthorne Rainier?

Thank you.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Re: B&G Neo8 in waveguide?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2018, 04:35 pm »
Hi,

Just a quick question.

Have anyone tried a B&G Neo8 in a waveguide similar to the waveguide used in the Hawthorne Rainier?

Thank you.

We've developed and used the Neo 3 from BG and our Neo 3 in various wave guides. We even have a Neo 3 in an application that crosses it as low as 1,200Hz in a wave guide. But the Neo 8 is really too tall to use as a single tweeter as the vertical dispersion will be very limited due to the longer length of the driver.

Fjendbo

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2018, 08:09 am »
I know the vertical dispersion will be very limited at higher frequencies, but how/how much different will a Neo8 setup be compared to an ESS Heil, Beyma TPL150H, Hawthorne or any other rather large planar/ribbon in a waveguide?

Thank you.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2018, 08:46 pm »
I know the vertical dispersion will be very limited at higher frequencies, but how/how much different will a Neo8 setup be compared to an ESS Heil, Beyma TPL150H, Hawthorne or any other rather large planar/ribbon in a waveguide?

Thank you.

The advantage of the BG planar drivers is their ability to play down really low. And they still play to 20kHz. And they have a very smooth response.

The Beyma model will not play as low, but has really high sensitivity.

I have yet to find a ESS Heil design that I was happy with. I'm still looking.

Fjendbo

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:53 am »
Alright, thank you.

About the narrow vertical dispersion. Besides that you have to sit in the narrow horizontal "sweet spot", how is it bad?

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 02:49 pm »
Alright, thank you.

About the narrow vertical dispersion. Besides that you have to sit in the narrow horizontal "sweet spot", how is it bad?

The narrow vertical dispersion can be solved by using the Neo 3. It is a great tweeter choice and can cross as low as 1,200 to 1,300Hz real easily in a wave guide. That will give you a more even in room response and not truncate the spacial cues. So they image better.

The Horizontal response with the Neo 8 is not too bad. The playing surface openings are only about 1 and 3/8" wide. If using the Neo 3 pdr version the playing surface area is reduced to 5/8" and it has really good off axis response. And it a wave guide it is very controlled.