Toslink cable length

RoadTripper

Toslink cable length
« on: 31 Oct 2018, 01:11 am »
Is there some agreed upon maximum suggested length for a Toslink (Digital/Optical) cable run? They make them quite long. Why would there be some degradation with an overly long cable?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • All Tweeters look like a target, then shoot them!
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Toslink cable length
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2018, 01:56 am »
In the 1990s Wadia came to a audio show with a transport/DAC optical cable which was an cable roll of a few hundred meters to demo its equip.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2018, 02:10 am »
5 meters seems to be the standard limit according to a number of Google hits.

"TOSLINK cables are usually limited to 5 meters in length, with a technical maximum of 10 meters, for reliable transmission without the use of a signal booster or a repeater."

RoadTripper

« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2018, 02:19 pm »
Would the toslink cable length limit be a function of the DAC on the other end of the cable? Schiit's Yggdrasil specifies a 3 Meter limit. How could the DAC affect the performance of the cable?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2018, 03:27 pm »
Would the toslink cable length limit be a function of the DAC on the other end of the cable? Schiit's Yggdrasil specifies a 3 Meter limit. How could the DAC affect the performance of the cable?
Correct its a function of the light emitting power from DAC.

RoadTripper

« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2018, 10:48 pm »
Maybe I should make that question more clear. Would the toslink cable length limit be a function of the light emitting power of what's sending the signal; in this case my Macbook Pro. The DAC is on the receiving end, so it seems to me that it would not involve light emitting power. No??
« Last Edit: 1 Nov 2018, 12:13 am by RoadTripper »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2018, 10:55 pm »
Maybe I should make that question more clear. Would the toslink cable length limit be a function of the light emitting power of what's sending the signal; in this case my Macbook Pro. The DAC is on the receiving end, so it seems to me that it would involve light emitting power. No??
Yes I think so, but Toslink is the less good sound interface, it is know the Coaxial is better sound, if you can use it.

RoadTripper

« Reply #7 on: 1 Nov 2018, 07:37 pm »
I'm trying to avoid having my laptop (from which I run Tidal) sitting next to my DAC. I need to have the laptop in my hands which means I will have to run cable 12-15 feet or so. I'd buy a different laptop if necessary. What's the best way forward to solve my problem? Any ideas?

RoadTripper

« Reply #8 on: 1 Nov 2018, 08:17 pm »
To be clear, my DAC is the Yggdrasil whose inputs include: AES/EBU XLR, RCA SPDIF, BNC SPDIF, Optical SPDIF, USB. The last two require limited length cables (i.e. too short for my situation).

Elizabeth

• Love is all there is....
« Reply #9 on: 1 Nov 2018, 08:21 pm »
I own a $7000 SACD player I can also use as a DAC. I use Toslink and SPDIF coax. The difference is SO TINY IT most likely is the actual spinner. I actually use the Toslink 98% of the time, as it is more convenient. IT sounds GREAT. (PS the Toslink from Lifatec actually DOES sound better than Medical Glass)
Just because some folks decided with the stuff THEY had, that THEIR SPDIF Coax was better than THEIR Toslink, does not make it actually true.  8)
A Toslink of 15 ft is not gonna be a problem.
(The Lifatec sheath is very flimsy. I covered my 15 ft with FlexTech covering to protect it on the floor.)

Added: I went and Googled a Yggy owner's manual just to see what they say about the Toslink. Amazed they say 3m or less. Three meters/ten feet. Seriously there is zero reason for a Toslink to need to be ten feet ot less. Maybe less than 30 feet.. But ten? (gimme' a break Schiit)
Here is a direct quote from an article about Toslink: ""TOSLINK cables are usually limited to 5 meters in length, with a technical maximum of 10 meters, for reliable transmission without the use of a signal booster or a repeater."" Like I wrote ,30 feet.
So I would say you should ASK Schiit WHY they think their stuff has to be amazingly short for a Toslink? I would like to know?
For USB YES, short matters. But not Toslink.
Link to Wiki Toslink: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 1 Nov 2018, 09:53 pm »
DACs are very suited to use a tube as output filter, the tube last many years in this appliance, 6922/6N1P have more than 10 subs to tube rolling, all low cost.

RoadTripper

« Reply #11 on: 2 Nov 2018, 12:47 am »
Thanks, Elizabeth. Your investigation matches mine. Your anecdotal data really helps.  I'd ask Schiit but their answers to my questions in the past have been so terse as to be unhelpful. I can easily experiment when the time comes - I'm on the road at present.

A_shah

« Reply #12 on: 3 Nov 2018, 05:08 am »
if you are going to be using 15/16 feet you should be OK with a  Toslink  try to get Benchmark or Lifatec glass optical cable you will get resolution up to 175 kHz and 15  Mbps data rate , I use a 6 footer between my new Vizio Quantum Series P-65 TV and the PS audio Directstream DAC , but between my Oppo 205 and Directstream DAC I use Coax cable as per Paul MacGowns suggestion. I also have 1 meter Lifatec glass Toslink/Miniplug that I use with my macMini and Schilt  Gungiuir DAC which in turn powers my Desk top systems which include Audeze Deckard HP amp and LCD -X and Kef LS50W  speakers

Asghar