Omega junior 8 xrs and a 45 SET amp?

roscoe65

Re: Omega junior 8 xrs and a 45 SET amp?
« Reply #20 on: 5 Dec 2018, 06:26 pm »
What preamp are you guys liking/using? I'm looking for one for the Dennis Had Inspire amp driving Omega 8 and XRS3 floor monitors.

For my 421A?  None.  It has a 0.65V input sensitivity so I use it source-direct into the Alps Blue Velvet pot.

I also own a Dennis Had amp (KT88 PSE) with another out on long-term loan.  I use a Dennis Had LP27A preamp with upgraded DACT volume controls.

tybee

« Reply #21 on: 5 Dec 2018, 07:56 pm »
 An Audio zone passive is used with both the Yamamoto and 421A amps playing old school CDs and LPs.  While I have several active tubed preamps, I strongly prefer the passive with these two amps as the passive hides nothing sonically.  Active preamps for these amps are not necessary as Rosco hints.

roscoe65

« Reply #22 on: 5 Dec 2018, 09:25 pm »
However, if you’re using a Korneff type design you’ll likely want a bit of gain to get full output.

Slam

« Reply #23 on: 6 Dec 2018, 04:16 am »
I’m using a Belles preamp that I’ve had for 30 years or more. Sounds great though I’m hoping to get a matching tube preamp

RDavidson

« Reply #24 on: 6 Dec 2018, 04:32 am »
Take a look at the standard Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE. This is a super high performance preamp. It is also versatile, fully balanced, and reliable. It will let you hear what your amp and source can do, meaning it doesn't add a lot of flavoring of its own. Very tough to beat especially if you can find one used.

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #25 on: 6 Dec 2018, 09:33 pm »
Thanks everyone! I see many of you as local experts and I'm glad you chimed in with a nice range to consider. I'm doing my research!