Bang & Olufsen Beovox 100 OVERHAUL PROJECT

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
Re: Bang & Olufsen Beovox 100 OVERHAUL PROJECT
« Reply #40 on: 5 Nov 2018, 03:20 am »
You are welcome to do as you like on all of it  :wink:  Making a recommendation is much easier than explaining the previous 40 years of experience that forms my opinions  :green:

The lowpass in your 100s might benefit from the 16ga, but the mid in your 50s will not.  BTW, the bandpass (mid) in your 100s is the same midbass that is used in your 50s.  Since the wire will not help your bass, I thought I would not select something heavier that might slightly compromise your:

1) GREATER TRANSPARENCY.

2) BETTER IMAGING.

3) BIGGER SOUNDSTAGE.

4) HOLOGRAPHIC IMAGING.

OSIB16

« Reply #41 on: 5 Nov 2018, 03:15 pm »
You are welcome to do as you like on all of it  :wink:  Making a recommendation is much easier than explaining the previous 40 years of experience that forms my opinions  :green:

The lowpass in your 100s might benefit from the 16ga, but the mid in your 50s will not.  BTW, the bandpass (mid) in your 100s is the same midbass that is used in your 50s.  Since the wire will not help your bass, I thought I would not select something heavier that might slightly compromise your:

1) GREATER TRANSPARENCY.

2) BETTER IMAGING.

3) BIGGER SOUNDSTAGE.

4) HOLOGRAPHIC IMAGING.

Jeff, I want to coax as much bass as I can out of the CX100’s. I think I want to use Neotech stranded for the Woofers (only). What is ideal the thickest gauge of stranded copper that I can use for this purpose?

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #42 on: 5 Nov 2018, 06:27 pm »
12ga.  The only limitation will be your ability to terminate it.

OSIB16

« Reply #43 on: 6 Nov 2018, 12:35 am »
12ga.  The only limitation will be your ability to terminate it.

I can do it. I’m resourceful. Anyway thanks again Jeff. Order placed. I will make sure to post a thread containing the finished speakers on this circle.

S Clark

• measurement? We don't need no stinkin measurement
« Reply #44 on: 6 Nov 2018, 03:09 am »
There's a pair on ebay  Buy It Now for $99

OSIB16

« Reply #45 on: 6 Nov 2018, 11:36 am »
There's a pair on ebay  Buy It Now for $99

Ideal speakers for home cinema. Snap them up, they are a real bargain. For $99 you get a solid aluminium cabinet and a Bang Olufsen badge, not forgetting a great sound. However, my little CX50’s are even better for movie playback, and they are cheaper. But only after the following mods...

1) LINE ALL INTERNAL WALLS WITH ADHESIVE BACKED FELT (4.5mm thick)

2) PLAIT THE INTERNAL WIRES.

3) SNIP OFF THE PLASTIC  PROTECTIVE TWEETER SHIELD WITH A PAIR OF PLYERS.

S Clark

• measurement? We don't need no stinkin measurement
« Reply #46 on: 6 Nov 2018, 01:50 pm »
Snap them up, they are a real bargain. For $99 you get a solid aluminium cabinet and a Bang Olufsen badge, not forgetting a great sound.
No thanks.  If I wanted another pair of bookshelf speakers I'd build one of Danny Richie's kits.  But your project is interesting to follow.  Trying to make a pair of 4" woofers produce some bass and keep an aluminum box from ringing is a worthy challenge. 

OSIB16

« Reply #47 on: 6 Nov 2018, 02:32 pm »
No thanks.  If I wanted another pair of bookshelf speakers I'd build one of Danny Richie's kits.  But your project is interesting to follow.  Trying to make a pair of 4" woofers produce some bass and keep an aluminum box from ringing is a worthy challenge.

I’m using them as satellite speakers in a 7.1 DOLBY SURROUND cinema system with a BK Subwoofer; so they don’t need to play bass. I’ve fixed the ringing by overdamping the cabinets with thick felt stuck on all interior walls. Lovely open sound. The bright treble that they produce is essential for matching to a cinema receiver; like my Sony STRDN1040. Movies tend to be slightly rolled off in the treble region; so the treble lift of the CX50’s comes in handy.

OSIB16

« Reply #48 on: 6 Nov 2018, 03:05 pm »
SCLARK
Check these vids out to get a rough idea of what the Beovox CX100 And the Beovox CX50 sounds like. When I listen to these clips through my Standard Iphone Earpods; it sounds virtually identical to the actual sound that these speakers produce in real life...

CX100
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DLWBCuBYwSg

CX50
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gEbbIDGPzJ0