LIO power capacitors/relay click sound

Alfred96

LIO power capacitors/relay click sound
« on: 16 Oct 2018, 01:58 pm »
Hi there. I am considering purchasing LIO modular amplifier. The price is a bit higher than expected so this will not occur in a week or so, but already created a savings plan for it.
One thing I noticed in reviews is that the capacitors in the the device makes clicks every now and than.

Could you tell me how often this happen, how loud it is and whether there is some room for improvement (damping that sound) and by what margin it can be damped?

gene9p

Re: LIO power capacitors/relay click sound
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2018, 02:24 pm »
not during playback. There are clicks when using the dials manually on the LIO and when changing sources on the remote, barely audible.I believe the older models had a light click during playback use but that has been long updated and removed.

Vinnie R.

• Facilitator
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2018, 02:46 pm »
Hi there. I am considering purchasing LIO modular amplifier. The price is a bit higher than expected so this will not occur in a week or so, but already created a savings plan for it.
One thing I noticed in reviews is that the capacitors in the the device makes clicks every now and than.

Could you tell me how often this happen, how loud it is and whether there is some room for improvement (damping that sound) and by what margin it can be damped?

Hi Alfred96,

Welcome to the VR forum!

The first few production batches of LIO used relays to switch between the capacitor banks.  This is the "click" sound that you are reffering to.

As gene9p mentioned, current production LIO is "Silent Switching" (no more relay for this, but a mosfet instead) and is silent.

Best regards,

Vinnie

jpm

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2018, 03:07 pm »
My LIO predates the silent switching change and the only time I notice a click is when no music is playing. I briefly entertained the idea of having Vinnie change it, but decided that would just be a waste of money and keep me without music for a while.

You'd only come across the original relay switching now on a pre-owned LIO and if you go that route, I'd not be concerned about it - just enjoy the gorgeous sounds swirling around you :)

gene9p

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2018, 03:34 pm »

You'd only come across the original relay switching now on a pre-owned LIO and if you go that route, I'd not be concerned about it - just enjoy the gorgeous sounds swirling around you :)

:thumb: