New Digital Amp Available

peranders

« Reply #60 on: 10 Oct 2005, 06:53 am »
Quote from: art
The lecture reference came from the part where you told me that I ought to make something of my own design, instead of buying something made by someone else in Denmark.

It was just a thought when you have a history of being a successful amp designer but ICE modules aren't "kattskit" either, state of the art in the class D area, right? Nothing wrong to test something new. How come you didn't choose www.hypex.nl ? Pretty good also, OK you have to fix the power supply yourself.

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
« Reply #61 on: 10 Oct 2005, 03:38 pm »
Your comments are neither welcome or necessary. This thread is in a commercial area, one designed for exchange of information betwen buyers and sellers. You are neither. If you continue to interfer in this thread, I can reciprocate the favour.

I don't want to have to 'splain this again.

BTW.......why don't you design your own regulator, instead of stealing someone else's, and using his name to sell it? I'm  sure lots of people here would like to hear that story.

Pat

art

• Industry Participant
In case anyone cares........
« Reply #62 on: 9 Mar 2006, 08:56 pm »
Here are the pros and cons of the last AC audition, for the very amp that was at Danny's shindig.

Just goes to show.......it is all system dependent. Believe
whichever set makes you happy.

Other observations:

Pro:   excellent low level detail
           sounds excellent at low volumes and high volumes
           thunderous bass
           excellent sound on most CD's regardless of recording quality
           fit and finish is excellent

Cons:    We discussed led's and binding posts.  BTW, the green led on the left channel is out
             Bass is too prominent at times dominating the music
             Treble on Tannoy's was too harsh and unnatural
             Harmonic colors are a little subdued compared to tubes and the Naim gear

(One on the leads on the LED broke. Must have bent it one time too many. Probably won't be the last time, either.)

Pat

art

• Industry Participant
Re: New Digital Amp Available
« Reply #63 on: 3 Aug 2010, 08:58 pm »
OK, I know none of you are going to believe this, but...........

The long-promised upgrade is going to happen. So far, the 500W unit (here at the shop) has been done. Might have the 250W one done, in a day or two.

Initial thoughts are cleaner, and more open. The odd thing is that even though the FR is now even more rolled off, it doesn't sound that way. Most likely because it sounds cleaner. I know a lot of you were getting tired of my complaining about the FR problem.

If you all had Maggies, it would not have mattered, so much. These really benefit from a predictable load impedance.

Other than the fact they are now more rolled off, the only other "negative" is that the S/N ratio is less. Brings it closer in line, with the amps were building in the 90s.

"Why did the S/N ratio go down? What is that all about?"

Let me put it this way, and let you guys ponder why:

Nothing sounds worse, than an op-amp, operating at unity gain. Yeah, the folks who designed the module probably don't believe that. Well, that problem is now fixed.

Cost..............haven't even thought about it, yet. Not much in the way of new parts. Mostly a lot of rework.

Anyway, we will have to make a few, to see what reaction they get, before it becomes official. As much stuff as I have to do, it may be another month or so.

After how many years has it been, what is another month, or so?

Pat

bummrush

« Reply #64 on: 3 Aug 2010, 10:10 pm »
 Bass is too prominent at times dominating the music
  Above from one of the cons,when i had my class d ,,the bass was way way to much ,,so if you are addressing that, that's a step in the right direction,its cool at first all the bass but the thrill quickly wears off.

art

• Industry Participant
« Reply #65 on: 16 Aug 2010, 12:28 am »
My guess is that around 90% of our customers (for these amps) are using Maggies, so being pummeled to death with bass, is not a problem. The main problem is the HF frequency response is too load dependent. Since the Maggies are the right impedance, to minimize that problem, it is a good fit.

Having said that..........

The upgrade is definitely more detailed, and to be honest, not sure that is a good thing. I need to listen to them, on something other than Maggies (MG-IIIA, at the shop, MG-IIB, at my house), to get a better handle on it. I may have to pay a visit to my buddy, Johan van Zyl.

I do not think it is my imagination, but the top end sounds more extended, even though it is actually more rolled off, now.

Don't anyone tell Johan, before I get a chance to schlep them over to his place. Best that he knows nothing about what I did, to give an unbiased appraisal.

Pat