Spendor S5E

porsche951

Spendor S5e
« Reply #20 on: 16 Feb 2005, 04:16 pm »
Randog, glad you enjoyed my scotch fueled attempt at humor. I have read that the S5e is supposed to sound o.k. close to a wall, but I haven't tried it, as mine are about 3 ft. out. I listened to the 1/2e and they sounded very good, but I preferred the S5e. Now that they are broken in, they really sound amazing with nice, tight, articulate bass and non fatiguing treble. You can get them for under list price from a shop near San Diego. The sierra foothills is a really beautiful area. If not for the weather I might consider living there. How do you like it there?

randog

Re: Spendor S5e
« Reply #21 on: 16 Feb 2005, 05:56 pm »
Quote from: porsche951
Randog, glad you enjoyed my scotch fueled attempt at humor. I have read that the S5e is supposed to sound o.k. close to a wall, but I haven't tried it, as mine are about 3 ft. out. I listened to the 1/2e and they sounded very good, but I preferred the S5e. Now that they are broken in, they really sound amazing with nice, tight, articulate bass and non fatiguing treble. You can get them for under list price from a shop near San Diego. The sierra foothills is a really beautiful area. If not for the weather I might consider living there. How do you like it there?

Just don't blow out any candles!
Say, would it be very difficult to tuck those babies back and report on the difference? I'm going to try to find a shop in the Bay area since I'll be there Friday on business and I'm sure I can talk the sales dude into moving them back after he entices me with their sound optimally placed.  :wink:

We live about 1 hour west of Tahoe between small towns Placerville and Jackson ~2250' elevation. I absolutely adore the area and the only thing that could chase me out of here (aside from my business going under) is the heat in the summer. We get around 30 days/year over 100 degrees. Of course, you've got it a bit warm yerself, eh?

Like San Diego it has really taken off in the last 4 years... now about double $$$.  :o

porsche951

Spendor S5e
« Reply #22 on: 22 Feb 2005, 05:37 am »
Randog, I was wondering if you were able to audition the Spendors? Hopefully, they were broken in. The bass on my speakers took about three weeks to open up. I did move my speakers close to the back wall, and while they sounded o.k. there, they do sound better at least two feet out.

bertrand

Re: Spendor S5E
« Reply #23 on: 24 Nov 2006, 02:26 pm »
I thought I'd come in here, although this seems to be an old thread, and maybe no one is reading it any more. I have the S5es, and run them close to a rear wall, though admittedly well away from corners. There is no bass "bloom"; they operate fine in this position.