Question on Copper Purity

Escott1377

Question on Copper Purity
« on: 11 Sep 2018, 01:12 pm »
When copper is listed as 4N, is it 99.99% pure or 99.9999% pure?  I always thought the latter, but was contradicted recently so I figured that I would turn to the experts.

Thanks in advance -

Elizabeth

• Love is all there is....
Re: Question on Copper Purity
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2018, 01:30 pm »
Google "what does four N purity mean.. 'four nines' means 99.99%. 2 nines means 99%.
So some wire says 99.9999 that is six nines.
(If you just write in what does four n mean, you get all industrial down time stuff.)

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2018, 03:41 pm »
It doesn't matter any more than does the difference between a 10 foot cord and a 10 foot 1 inch cord matter?

jtwrace

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2018, 04:55 pm »
It doesn't matter any more than does the difference between a 10 foot cord and a 10 foot 1 inch cord matter?
That's not what the OP is asking though. 

4N = 99.99% as far as I know. 

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2018, 05:20 pm »
That's not what the OP is asking though. 

4N = 99.99% as far as I know.

No, but his answer may be relevant in the context of IC's/ speaker cables, power cables etc. given that the OP didn't say why he wanted to know.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2018, 06:16 pm »
All I could find in an old Belden book:
a] 3 nines copper has 99.95 % purity.
b] the difference between 3 nines and 6 nines copper is about 1.5 %.  But 1.5% of what, I son't know.

Escott1377

« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2018, 08:10 pm »
Google "what does four N purity mean.. 'four nines' means 99.99%. 2 nines means 99%.
So some wire says 99.9999 that is six nines.
(If you just write in what does four n mean, you get all industrial down time stuff.)

That satisfies my question.  Posted in this forum b/c yes, it does mostly pertain to cables, etc - thank you all.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • All Tweeters look like a target, then shoot them!
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2018, 08:22 pm »
Over six nines the sonic improvement is irrelevant, more important is the molecular structure arrangement or oxygen content.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2018, 09:53 pm by FullRangeMan »

Mike B.

« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2018, 09:26 pm »
I believe OFC is 99.99%.  OFC copper is a very good conductor. Be careful with connectors that are advertised as copper. Dead soft copper has little memory and is not satisfactory for contacts. Beryllium copper is a much better substitute but it has the conductivity close to the higher copper content brass.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 12 Sep 2018, 12:54 pm »
OFC copper is not free of oxygen, it's more like reduced oxygen content and refers to the smelting process used.  6N or 4N or rough pitch copper all refer to the amount of impurities within the copper.  Single crystal or OCC copper refer to the number of grain boundaries within annealed copper wire.  Material is a component of how a cable sounds, but it's usually swamped by geometry, dielectric, and connectors.

Mike B.

« Reply #10 on: 12 Sep 2018, 02:49 pm »
I personally think the biggest difference is from the continuous cast over any purity over 99.99%. There are so many things that can and might affect performance. 

Tyson

« Reply #11 on: 12 Sep 2018, 07:18 pm »
OFC copper is not free of oxygen, it's more like reduced oxygen content and refers to the smelting process used.  6N or 4N or rough pitch copper all refer to the amount of impurities within the copper.  Single crystal or OCC copper refer to the number of grain boundaries within annealed copper wire.  Material is a component of how a cable sounds, but it's usually swamped by geometry, dielectric, and connectors.

Yes, dielectric in particular has a strong impact.  4N (or better) OCC with teflon tubing is a nice combo.

Escott1377

« Reply #12 on: 13 Sep 2018, 05:36 pm »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 13 Sep 2018, 11:14 pm »
This is my copper of choice, multiple gauges available :)

http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/neotech-solid-upocc-copper-in-teflon-24-awg-red-p-1593
AWG 24 is suited for phono or signal cables for tube amp I used the awg 14 Teflon, there is a inexpensive PVC version.

Steve

« Reply #14 on: 17 Sep 2018, 01:11 am »
The higher the purity, less contaminants, the fewer the internal boundaries. To my knowledge, from some time ago, only a
couple of manufacturers in the world make wire in a nitrogen atmosphere.

cheers and continue on.

steve

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 17 Sep 2018, 04:25 am »
Hi Steve,
Ni is used in OFC?

Steve

« Reply #16 on: 17 Sep 2018, 11:23 am »
Hi Steve,
Ni is used in OFC?

To keep oxygen away, minimizing any oxidation of the copper during the manufacturing process. I should have been more clear in my earlier post.

cheers

steve

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 17 Sep 2018, 06:12 pm »
Thanks Steve, you most kind.