High End receptacles Furutech GTX duplex

Genez

Re: High End receptacles Furutech GTX duplex
« Reply #60 on: 14 Sep 2019, 08:13 pm »
Heat treatment and cryo treatment can sort of achieve the same thing in terms of stress relief in a metallic crystal structure. The creation of springs is a high deformation process, leaving a huge amount of residual stresses in the material. This isn't always a bad thing, as that can in theory harden the material. However, hardening also typically means more brittle, so it's a tradeoff that you must weigh. (side note: the popular "quenching" process also does something similar, most notably for steels)

For the purposes of this post, we will assume that the majority of the residual stresses are contained within the grain boundaries. In simplified terms, the crystallographic misalignment between grains is undesired, as if a chasm has opened up between them. The chasm is a mix of empty space and "broken" unaligned material.

Relieving said stress can be done in multiple ways, and this is where the manufacturers tend to play a bit to find the balance between strength and ductility (and cost). I'm grossly simplifying things, but heat treatment is like making the sides of the grains grow and closing the chasm gap. Cryo treatment is like having the unordered stuff in the chasm reform itself into little island that help bridge the gap. Either way, you're reducing the apparent chasm between the grains. There's lots more to it than that, but we'll leave it here for now. I am not offering any comment on how this translates to sound.

That was good.  Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Genez

« Reply #61 on: 14 Sep 2019, 08:20 pm »
I understand contact resistance vs. wire. I guess I don't see the home environment as necessitating Rhodium-level protection. I guess I'm just a (as close to as possible) bare copper kind of guy.

Copper too quickly oxidizes...  Its the nemesis of the copper advantage.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #62 on: 14 Sep 2019, 10:10 pm »
I understand contact resistance vs. wire. I guess I don't see the home environment as necessitating Rhodium-level protection. I guess I'm just a (as close to as possible) bare copper kind of guy.

The use of Rhodium is more sound of the music quality than any other reason to use a rhodium AC duplex or AC plug with Rhodium plating.
The Furutech GTXD Gold and GTX-D Rhodium are identical in every way except the final plating on the blades.
THe gold does sound warmer, and thicker. The rhodium clearer more detail.
I had purchased a total of 17 Furutech duplex, over a few months. I actually replaced a few original Gold to Rhodium once I realized how much better sounding the music was with the Rhodium in the AC path.
For folks who cannot accept power cords making a difference, The Rhodium plating making a major difference claim must be bewildering. 
The addition of the Furutech AC duplex was the best, most important tweaky sort of upgrade I have done. The improvement opened new vistas...

thorman

« Reply #63 on: 15 Sep 2019, 12:47 am »
 Well said Elizabeth........You took the words right out of my mouth.........

dflee

• What's this we shit kemosahbee?
« Reply #64 on: 15 Sep 2019, 01:17 am »
I'd be more than happy to take the old stuff off your hands Elizabeth.
It's gotta be better than the stuff I got now.
Has your place got ground fault wire? I have an older home w/ just the dual wire
and it is one thick wire for each + and -.
Does it take three wires to hear differences in plugs or does it work just as well
with the old wiring?

Don

Genez

« Reply #65 on: 15 Sep 2019, 01:29 am »

I only recently became interested in the Furutech AC duplex.    Because I discovered that the typical Audiophile AC outlets can cause damage for your power cords if not careful.

Here is what can happen...   Recently there was many days of thunder storms where I live in Georgia.  That meant I had to unplug my power conditioner from the wall before going to work, or when I was home and it began storming.  Over the last few weeks it was happening quite frequently. Then I noticed.  The Audience powercon power cable that connected to my power conditioner revealed a defect that should not be there!   The tight fitting AC outlet from frequent removals and plugging back in, had scraped off the rhodium plating of the cord's plug. Bare copper was being seen.  I contacted Audience, and they exchanged the cord for a small fee.  The new cord was even a little longer than the first.   Enuf said.  Now I do not unplug and depend upon the special on off switch on the conditioner.   Just the same it made me aware. 

Then I received an ad for a Furutech Rhodium duplex.  Its stated that the plug prong clamping system is engineered not to scrape off the plating like the typical audiophile AC sockets can cause.  Now,  suddenly... I am considering taking the plunge.  Before than, the Furutech appeared to be a gilded Lilly to my thinking.  Here is a blurb of the data from Furutech:

Furutech’s intense engineering scrutiny has resulted in an industry-first, a technique allowing the company to use special Furutech 24k gold- or rhodium-plated a (Alpha) pure copper conductors strengthened and sprung by Furutech's innovative nonmagnetic Stainless Steel Conductor Spring System that keeps a firm grip yet won’t damage male connector blades or their plated surfaces.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #66 on: 15 Sep 2019, 11:48 am »

The use of Rhodium is more sound of the music quality than any other reason to use a rhodium AC duplex or AC plug with Rhodium plating.
The Furutech GTXD Gold and GTX-D Rhodium are identical in every way except the final plating on the blades.
THe gold does sound warmer, and thicker. The rhodium clearer more detail.
I had purchased a total of 17 Furutech duplex, over a few months. I actually replaced a few original Gold to Rhodium once I realized how much better sounding the music was with the Rhodium in the AC path.
For folks who cannot accept power cords making a difference, The Rhodium plating making a major difference claim must be bewildering. 
The addition of the Furutech AC duplex was the best, most important tweaky sort of upgrade I have done. The improvement opened new vistas...

Agree. I tried to have one gold and one rhodium and in the last room, a silver, outlet so I could adjust if needed depending on system synergy.

I'm getting older and prefer the gold these days.

Elizabeth

« Reply #67 on: 15 Sep 2019, 12:34 pm »
About the Furutech design.. One reason I went with Furutech is they designed the duplex 'from scratch' to be a high end outlet. Nearly all the others take a common outlet and 'fix it up' somehow. (the other reason was they happened to be on sale, )
The Furutech as mentioned does not scratch the blades of the plugs!. Which all other pinching type (standard design) do scratch the blades with repeated insertions and removals. there IS a downside.. and that is Furutech duplex do not have a 'grip of death'. they have only moderate grip. on the other hand, Furutech have full across the blade surface contact, where the 'grip of death' type are gripping really hard only on one small contact area of the inserted blade.
(the only better design could be if a company designed a duplex which was lax on insertion,and then when you flip a lever would grip the plug in the vise like grip. Removal, flip lever and plug can fall out easy. hey you guys designing duplex...).

As for 'liking he sound of the gold Furutech.. One other way to add some warmth to the sound is add some form of Rosewood under a few bits of gear. Brazilian Rosewood is illegal to buy, but many other really equal types of the Dalbergia family can be bought from exotic wood turning hobby sites. Just stick some bits of the wood under a few components.

Genez

« Reply #68 on: 15 Sep 2019, 03:04 pm »
(the only better design could be if a company designed a duplex which was lax on insertion,and then when you flip a lever would grip the plug in the vise like grip. Removal, flip lever and plug can fall out easy. hey you guys designing duplex...).

Agreed!    The ideas I came up with would be too dangerous. ;)

Elizabeth

« Reply #69 on: 15 Sep 2019, 05:02 pm »
I would add the lever for gripping the prongs would also cut or apply the current. So no one could insert a plug, and ignore the lever to tighten it up.

Genez

« Reply #70 on: 15 Sep 2019, 05:59 pm »
Sounds like a bit too much over kill.  And,  the expense of such a design would probably place it in the rarefied playing field of only millionaires....  Just clamping should suffice.  The clamping would make it near air tight.  Otherwise, it would be like a regular "sloppy" AC inlet for normal use.

I would like to see something for the many hard working serious audiophiles who suffer from budget-tight-is.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #71 on: 15 Sep 2019, 06:28 pm »
One thing to keep in mind, rhodium sounds very different depending on what the base material is. I don't particularly like it over brass or bronze but it's great over pure copper. You might be better off with gold over brass or bronze. The quality of the plating matters too, not all are equal! Furutech in particular has excellent plating quality and their rhodium plated alpha-copper parts are among the best on the market imo.

I agree with Genez about scratching the plating off, the worst for this is hospital grade receptacles... these are usually built on heavy-duty chassis and have very high clamping force, these will leave deep gauges in your male prongs, and if you just spent $$$ on rhodium plated pure copper plugs it's gonna be a downer when the outlet carves a trench in it.

I've sold hundreds of GTX NCF receptacles and pretty much 100% of folks think it's the best $ they've spent on their system, despite the fact the receptacle it's self is priced insanely high. I burn-in the receptacles for free, imo this is important if you don't want to have a system that sounds randomly different for 4-6 weeks. Even with burn-in you'll gt some of these effects but they are reduced in magnitude and don't last as long.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
« Reply #72 on: Yesterday at 04:42 pm »
One thing to keep in mind, rhodium sounds very different depending on what the base material is. I don't particularly like it over brass or bronze but it's great over pure copper. You might be better off with gold over brass or bronze. The quality of the plating matters too, not all are equal! Furutech in particular has excellent plating quality and their rhodium plated alpha-copper parts are among the best on the market imo.

I agree with Genez about scratching the plating off, the worst for this is hospital grade receptacles... these are usually built on heavy-duty chassis and have very high clamping force, these will leave deep gauges in your male prongs, and if you just spent $$$ on rhodium plated pure copper plugs it's gonna be a downer when the outlet carves a trench in it.

I've sold hundreds of GTX NCF receptacles and pretty much 100% of folks think it's the best $ they've spent on their system, despite the fact the receptacle it's self is priced insanely high. I burn-in the receptacles for free, imo this is important if you don't want to have a system that sounds randomly different for 4-6 weeks. Even with burn-in you'll gt some of these effects but they are reduced in magnitude and don't last as long.

Dave if I may ask what do you burn in with ? Thanks.

charles