High End receptacles Furutech GTX duplex

Elizabeth

• Love is all there is....
High End receptacles Furutech GTX duplex
« on: 10 Sep 2018, 02:16 pm »
I decided the next thing to upgrade would be receptacles. After some research, I went with all Furutech GTX-D. Some Gold plated, some NCF Rhodium type. MY basis for this was the soon to be prices all going up for any and maybe all imports, plus the Furutech were on sale. (all told I save 31% off retail)
I replaced every Duplex connected to or in my system. Including all in both power conditioners. (in the Furman, moving the duplex piggybacked filters to the Furutech duplex.
Later I replaced two Gold ones with Rhodium, as I discovered just how much better sounding the Rhodium are, particularly from the wall, and for amps and preamps. Sources , for me, generally either sound better with the Gold duplex, or no difference that matters in how they sound.

(All of my powercords are Pangea, with gold plated plug parts, aside from the (now) Furutech '28' Rhodium plugs at the wall for my extension cords. The Rhodium take longer to sound good. But when they are broken in, they are better than the Gold in many areas. (the main not broken in effect is lean sounding with the Rhodium, alternating from normal, then lean, then way too much bass, back and forth, Until the Rhodium settles down, Others did say this roller coaster happens, but I had to experience it to believe it.)

I started with a GTX-D Gold in the 20 amp wall outlet, to my old Wattgate brass plugs. and a few other duplex. I put both a Gold And a Rhodium duplex at the ends of the 32 foot ,and 37 foot extensions. from the 20 amp wall AC to compare them two types at the PC and the amp. Quickly it was obvious the Rhodium GTX NCF was better at the amp, and to the Furman REF20i conditioner. The PS audio P-600 seems better on the Gold. Sources sound better using the Gold GTX. Later i swapped th Gold to a Rhodium, and added Rhodium Furutech Edison plugs Used the Furutech '28 series plugs in place of the Wattgate brass plugs at the wall.

Took awhile to find to the preamps sound better on the Rhodium. The Rhodium is cleaner, 'cleaner' but maybe more lean, more 'aggressive' than the Gold. (since no Gold Furutech has the NCF material added to it, I don't know what part that material plays) The Gold is lush but fuzzy sloppy and less clear sounding (only compared to the Rhodium. compared to bronze or brass duplex, they both are miles ahead.) I also made two power cord using the same wire, (Quad twist 12 gauge Teflon 600V silver plated copper MilSpec wire. The same wire in my long extension cords from the wall) one with Wattgate plugs, Brass, one with Furutech Rhodium. The Furutech plug one was vastly better sounding than the one with the brass parts. So much so the brass plug on I consider (now) useless. (And I used to like them. Not anymore! the jump up is that big).
 I am pleased wit the improvement. I can say the ability to hear Rock lyrics is vastly improved. Way more like using earphones! So the increase in clarity is really the best reason and validates the expenditure. Also the use of a fancy tube buffer I so cherished is no longer needed. It still makes a tiny difference. but no nearly as much as before the Furutech duplex update..

I cannot say anything about Oyaide, or other brands. Since I never went with them. For most of the other  non-Japanese sorts of high end duplex, they all basically use a regular duplex off the shelf and 'fix' them up in some ways. (Oyaide also makes from their own design, from scratch, but I decided to stick to one brand. Furutech.) So I skipped all the 'fixed up' stuff. And skipped Oyaide mainly due to it  not having the Furutech pure copper with a unique clamping system, The Oyaide uses Phosphor Bronze with various plating. the added types of plating I also though would be too confusing to make decisions. So I stuck with just the two, Gold and Rhodium plating over pure copper.

mikey8811

Re: High End receptacles Furutech GTX duplex
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2018, 02:49 pm »
Nice comparison.

I was wondering about the NCF Rhodium. I am currently using the GTX-D Gold to a distributor to which my preamp and all sources are plugged.

My power amp goes to a Maestro wall outlet, which I preferred to the GTX-D Gold for it (perhaps similar to your finding that the NCF Rhodium was better than the GTX-D Gold for this application).

I have not tried the preamp, a Cary SLP 05 to the wall as it has always gone to a distributor because I read that preamps benefit from the additional filtration given by a distributor (is this correct?). Perhaps I may try it on the spare Maestro outlet.

I am guessing you aren't  using any distributors at all and all your components go straight to the wall?

genjamon

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2018, 03:08 pm »
I was amazed several years back when I upgraded outlets to the GTX-D rhodiums one at a time.  Each addition removed a layer of haze, but it took completing the "loom" for everything to truly snap into place.  I thought I was set until about a year ago I decided to sample the NCF version.  I'll be damned - another leap forward, and not by a little.  Now all my system outlets are NCF.  The power cable connectors are another story, since they're so much more expensive, but the outlets are a great bargain IMO.  Just go for the NCF and you'll be glad you did - but in my opinion you really should strive to have a complete loom if at all possible.  I find mixing outlet types to cause some strange effects - can't seem to nail down the character of the system. 

If you have the means, I highly highly also recommend the NCF power connectors.  I've now swapped all my system power cables over to NCF connectors too.  I was able to find an ebay vendor with some used at greatly discounted prices, and was able to verify when they arrived based on comparisons to the authentically purchased ones I had in-house already, but this is hard to come by reliably.  Anyway, the benefits to sound are very real.  For those of you on the fence regarding them, it should just a matter of affordability on those expensive connectors - the benefits are real. 

Elizabeth

« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2018, 03:22 pm »
Mikey8811..
The amplifier is 'to the wall' (via the extensions)
I do use two power conditioners. All other than amp go through one of them. (and all of the duplex IN the conditioners have been changed to Furutech)
The Furman for all but digital. The PS Audio for digital gear.
I am somewhat experimenting with some of (4 preamps) my preamps to the 'wall' via the Furutech Duplex (again via the AC extension cords and on floor duplex boxes.)
This is an on going process. I cannot really make solid determinations on floor vs conditioner until the break in of the duplex is complete.
ADDED I thoughtI would explain the 4 preamps. I have the main one. A Bryston BP-26 which has a 7 m balanced IC to the amp. Then a fancy tube buffer for the DAC to alleviate any digital whatever. (kind of a holdover from before I bought a Marantz Sa-10) which goes to the BP-26
Then a Audio Research SP-15 I use just for the 3 tube phono. and another preamp, Audible Illusions 3A also just to use for the phono bits inside. both of those also go to the Bryston.

Delta77

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2018, 04:12 pm »
" I went with all Furutech GTX-D. Some Gold plated, some NCF Rhodium type. MY basis for this was the soon to be prices all going up for any and maybe all imports, plus the Furutech were on sale. (all told I save 31% off retail) "

Elizabeth, Where did you get them with the discount .??
Thanks..??

Elizabeth

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2018, 04:21 pm »
Sent you a pm.
am not sure if 'advertising' for a place is OK?
Anyway I will post here.
"VH Audio" in Wisconsin.
All Furutech was on sale all of August.Still on sale. Not sure how long. All the stuff is IN STOCK. not backordered.
Be aware he recently sent a message out he is going on vacation after the 20th Sept.
So he is good at sending out each days orders next day.But once it is the 20th.. the orders will sit for a week.
If this is not OK to advertise a tiny parts dealer, then delete this post OK? mods.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2018, 05:15 pm »
  Just be aware the Furutech receptacles take about 250 hours to stop changing. I have beta tested all of them for the distributor. Each version has a distinct character which Furutech describes on their web page.
  Plugs of PC matter as well. Meaning a Rhodium receptacle and gold PC plug will have a different sound than say two Rhodiums. A quality product no doubt just all colored in a way.
  The most neutral receptacle found to date is from PIAudio. A polished and graphene treated Pass & Seymor.. Elizabeth give those recptacles some time before making a final decision. Have fun Girl.

charles
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2018, 08:31 pm by rollo »

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2018, 06:10 pm »
Great!!! I love my GTX-R receptacles.

Elizabeth -- you'll get an equivalent boost in clarity once you upgrade some of your Pangea power cords. IMO, it's not so much the wire in power cords, it's the quality of the plugs that make the most difference.

mikeeastman

« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2018, 09:44 pm »
I have to second Charles recommendation on the PI audio receptacles, they sound great in my system. They replaced Mapleshade that replace Furutech, not the GTX but an earlier mode,l don't remember which one.

Elizabeth

« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2018, 11:57 pm »
Early B. On the plug angle. As I wrote above, when I tried plugs I had used, compared to Furutech Rhodium, the Wattgate were terrible in comparison. (even though I used to be totally happy with them before)
As for the Pangea, I have a lot of them. Including plenty of old superseded models. I may cut one to see how easily the 14 can be re terminated? The Pangea 9 would be near impossible to re-terminate!
I have to say it is pretty unlikely I would ever go for big money power cords.Plus the fact to just reterminate any $50 cord would cost over $250.. IDO have my one well made with Furutech powercord. I may play with it more, compare it to the Pangea, etc.In the past such comparisions have been pretty useful. And the Pangea have turned out to be.. if not better, just as good.
The one exception I might try a AQ Hurricane for the amp by borrowing one from The Cable Company. But my inclination would be upgrading the amp before spending $3000 on a power cord.

As for other duplex. I am certain the pile of Furutech is gonna' be all there ever will be. I researched before hand. And do not feel any standard based duplex, no matter how tweaked, is going to match the made to be High End Furutech. The Pass & Seymour still is just the same cheap impure metal in there. So I agree to disagree about what such an outlet can become. True I never heard one. Most certainly never will. I am pretty set, as is. (kind of like the Pangea PC.)

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2018, 12:34 am »
As for the Pangea, I have a lot of them. Including plenty of old superseded models. I may cut one to see how easily the 14 can be re terminated? The Pangea 9 would be near impossible to re-terminate!
I have to say it is pretty unlikely I would ever go for big money power cords.Plus the fact to just reterminate any $50 cord would cost over $250.. IDO have my one well made with Furutech powercord. I may play with it more, compare it to the Pangea, etc.In the past such comparisions have been pretty useful. And the Pangea have turned out to be.. if not better, just as good.
The one exception I might try a AQ Hurricane for the amp by borrowing one from The Cable Company. But my inclination would be upgrading the amp before spending $3000 on a power cord.

I would suggest experimenting with a single "high end" power cord (without paying such a premium for it) and place it from the wall to your power conditioner or on your source component. Maybe something like a used Triode Wire Labs that are sometimes listed in the Trading Post for less than $300. If it doesn't float your boat, you can always sell it for what you paid and it will cost you virtually nothing to try it.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2018, 02:47 pm »
  Ok never said P&S was better. I said it is neutral in direct comparison. What matters to me is end result of sound not theories, materials or designof such. The sonic result of change is all that matters. I know, use and sell Furutech products and I am saying the P&S is neutral in comparison, that's all. It is only better if one prefers it. Choose your own poison.

charles

hi5harry

« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2018, 03:08 pm »
I really like the newer Furutech NCF receptacles. The gold plate had that huge bass and nice lower midrange, but may be a little too sweet in the top end. The rhodium has that great attack and slam, with just a bit of "bite" in the upper registers. I think the NCF version has all the best qualities of both AND is a little quieter allowing a blacker background.
 I also changed out all my iec's to the Furutech NCF 09 and am using power cables with Furutech NCF ends, so that my be adding to the synergy.

Elizabeth

« Reply #13 on: 11 Sep 2018, 07:32 pm »
Today (since I posted) I have moved the Pangea 4m AC9SE mk2 Signature PC from amp to preamp, and the home made with Furutech Rh to amp. (the cord really is not long enough, but it does just reach, temporarily)
This made me also change the amp from the Rhodium duplex to the gold. The all Rhodium duplex and plug was a little more that I wanted. The Rhodium Furutech plug into the Gold GTX is perfect sounding.
In the past the Bryston preamp sounded better with the thick AC9SE, but the AC14SE Sig sounded better. I just did not want to spend $450 for another cord. (and I have 'one' I can move around) So I already knew it would sound better with the cord I was using on the amp.
Ordered two more Rhodium 28 plugs to swap off the Wattgate I made for a full length PC for the amp. Then I can move the 2 meter one back for duplex to Furman conditioner where I liked it so far.
So some things are still moving around. Plus forgot to mention I ordered the Furtech "Nano" liquid from japan.(way cheaper, like half)  Might take a few weeks...

Also to mention I just remembered I had a Pass & Seymour 8200 which was cryo'ed. Basically it is just another Pass & Seymour outlet. nothing special about it. No poison involved.
Also Rollo mentioned: "What matters to me is end result of sound not theories, materials or design of such. The sonic result of change is all that matters."
which read good. But what did you do when you began to search? Did you read up? or did you just buy fifty various duplex and do a round robin comparing them all just by sound?
I chose to read up on duplex. reading others reviews on line. I do have a personal bias against 'fixed up' other folks products. usually the fixing up is way overpriced.  Just go buy a stock duplex and cryo it yourself.

So the only brands I could find which are not just somebody's stock duplex were Oyaide and Furutech. ((there may be German originals, but I am not in the German marketplace) One plus for furutech is the clamping system, which lets them use pure copper for the internals of the duplex. Then the fact they are on sale.. LOL
So I guess I say no one 'just' goes by sound. before that you make some sort of sorting decision. Unless you really do just buy all of whatever and sort them out? Plus I get that you seem angry? Over outlets? wow.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #14 on: 11 Sep 2018, 07:37 pm »
If I had an AC receptacle that changed the hi-fi system's sound after 200 hours, I would send that defective receptacle back to the manufacture for replacement while it's still under warranty. A quality receptacle should remain stable and unchanging for at least 20 years.

Elizabeth

« Reply #15 on: 11 Sep 2018, 07:40 pm »
Hah hah ha hah hah hah ha ha hah ha hah hah hah ha ha hah ha hah hah hah ha ha ha hah hah hah ha ha hah ha hah hah hah ha ha hah ha hah ha hah hah hah ha ha hah ha hah hah hah ha ha hah ha hah  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  :thumb:

Early B.

« Reply #16 on: 11 Sep 2018, 08:04 pm »
My experience with the GTX-Rhodium and Gold is twofold:

1. it helps to mix them -- the Rhodium sounds better, though
2. they take some time to break in, but 20 hours instead of 200 hours is more reasonable.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 14 Sep 2018, 03:10 pm »
  The outlets I choose after doing my due diligence were Voodoo, Furutech, PIAudio and stock Pass & Seymor. All outlets were installed in 20A dedicated lines with no conditioning. All were broken in for 200 hours.
  The duplex which offered the least or no coloration of sound was the PIAudio. The Voodoo is made for Voodoo by Hubbel. Then deep cryo treated. Blades are gold plated or copper depending on which model.
   The tightest connection was Voodoo over all tested. The Furutech Rhodium was a bit hard and bright. Using a Gold plated plug on PC helped. A nice combo. The Furutech offerings produced three sonic flavors. Gold= warm, Rhodium = hard and Copper = bright. Both the Voodoo and PIAudio were neutral in character.
   The Voodoo sells for $60 and $100. PIAudio $80. The system used was Aqua Acoustic Vida transport, Aqua Formula x HD DAC,  Innous Zenith Mk2 server, Audio Hungary APR 204 preamp, Audio Hungary A15SE SET mono blocks and Rethm Saadhana speakers. Cabling by Belden Iconoclast and TWL.
   These were my findings. Use them as you may. Angry ? Not even close.  Trying to be helpful as a beta tester and from  50 years of experience in audio.
    You all will find out after hands on experience, wasting money  that these small tweaks do add some change in sound. Good and not so good. I have found if the components are designed properly then these tweaks diminish that effect.  Remember this. There is "NO" best. Just different. Spend wisely.

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 14 Sep 2018, 03:12 pm »
Hah hah ha hah hah hah ha ha hah ha hah hah hah ha ha hah ha hah hah hah ha ha ha hah hah hah ha ha hah ha hah hah hah ha ha hah ha hah ha hah hah hah ha ha hah ha hah hah hah ha ha hah ha hah  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  :thumb:

Hey, we agree on something Hip hip hooray !!!!!!!

charles

Elizabeth

« Reply #19 on: 14 Sep 2018, 04:02 pm »
Thanks Rollo. your in depth report is great. As my Furutech Rhodium outlets break in,  I find they are more neutral than any other sound. Only when they were new did they seem to accent the treble. sort of boosting it (so it seemed, and they take longer to break in than 200 hours for sure).
Last night as I listened to Deep Purple "Machine Head" via Rudistor RPX-33mkII, Sennheiser HD800 phones I noticed that the Rhodium has a bit less distortion in the upper mids than the not Rhodium.
Similar, but less strong as brass plugs and outlets. Kind of a tiny 'buzz' distrtion added to the sound in the upper mids.
I never noticed it before the Furutech duplex were added, mainly because it was all pervasive. Where now, with it gone, and then under certain conditions, bringing it back, I can recognize it!!!!