High End receptacles Furutech GTX duplex

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: High End receptacles Furutech GTX duplex
« Reply #40 on: 23 Sep 2018, 12:03 pm »
+1 Photon.

A slightly different example. Manipulating the atomic structure can be done naturally; Chrysler used to, maybe still does, sets their engine blocks out for a year to relieve stresses, before machining.

cheers

steve

Yeah, it was something about the rusting acting as case hardening I think.

Steve

« Reply #41 on: 23 Sep 2018, 02:58 pm »
Yeah, it was something about the rusting acting as case hardening I think.

Could be. It also relieved stresses, so the block would not warp later, rings would stay seated etc.

Beams for bridges were also relieved of stresses and resonances by physically "pinging" them for a month.

Years ago, a gent from Chicago who worked with electron microscope told me they would see molecular changes
after cryoing materials, again confirming molecular changes take place, except much faster.

cheers

steve

mikey8811

« Reply #42 on: 29 Sep 2018, 02:24 pm »
OK so I got the GTX D Rhodium NCF’s.

I have about 5 hours on them now. I have the Cary tube preamp and digital sources on a strip to the outlet. I have the Pass Labs power amp on the Maestro.

There is greater clarity, air and instrumental separation. Image outlines are also more distinct, but with less bloom and fullness - I guess this would constitute a minor negative. The bass has tightened up and there is more micro detail all round.

More on the downside, the treble has become "silvery" with a bit of hardness and brightness. There is more extension but the sound doesn’t seem like it has opened up yet and still sounds etched and shut in.I do hope the treble hardness and brightness goes away. How long does this take?

The GTX D Gold had boomy low bass but I liked the top end on that.

Overall, if I had to choose one among the 3 outlets, I prefer the Maestro so far.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #43 on: 29 Sep 2018, 03:37 pm »
As to the prior comment about cryo treatment being inadvisable for springs, many in the automotive industry believe otherwise. Engine valve springs are routinely cryogenically treated in pretty much every type of high performance engine building these days; F1, NASCAR, etc. Longevity increases of several hundred percent are reported depending on the metallurgy of the springs.

Heat treatment and cryo treatment can sort of achieve the same thing in terms of stress relief in a metallic crystal structure. The creation of springs is a high deformation process, leaving a huge amount of residual stresses in the material. This isn't always a bad thing, as that can in theory harden the material. However, hardening also typically means more brittle, so it's a tradeoff that you must weigh. (side note: the popular "quenching" process also does something similar, most notably for steels)

For the purposes of this post, we will assume that the majority of the residual stresses are contained within the grain boundaries. In simplified terms, the crystallographic misalignment between grains is undesired, as if a chasm has opened up between them. The chasm is a mix of empty space and "broken" unaligned material.

Relieving said stress can be done in multiple ways, and this is where the manufacturers tend to play a bit to find the balance between strength and ductility (and cost). I'm grossly simplifying things, but heat treatment is like making the sides of the grains grow and closing the chasm gap. Cryo treatment is like having the unordered stuff in the chasm reform itself into little island that help bridge the gap. Either way, you're reducing the apparent chasm between the grains. There's lots more to it than that, but we'll leave it here for now. I am not offering any comment on how this translates to sound.

Elizabeth

• Love is all there is....
« Reply #44 on: 29 Sep 2018, 05:01 pm »
OK so I got the GTX D Rhodium NCF’s.
More on the downside, the treble has become "silvery" with a bit of hardness and brightness. There is more extension but the sound doesn’t seem like it has opened up yet and still sounds etched and shut in.I do hope the treble hardness and brightness goes away. How long does this take?

It does go away. it takes a long time to go away. (in relation to 5 hours.)
Actually it can go away and then come back. then go away again. As others have reported.
Once the Rhodium is broken in, the majority of folks say it is the best.
I agree. And have actually swapped more Rhodium in, taking out gold.

mikey8811

« Reply #45 on: 29 Sep 2018, 05:14 pm »
It does go away. it takes a long time to go away. (in relation to 5 hours.)
Actually it can go away and then come back. then go away again. As others have reported.
Once the Rhodium is broken in, the majority of folks say it is the best.
I agree. And have actually swapped more Rhodium in, taking out gold.

Great! Thanks for the reassurance. I didn't want to give up and return to the Gold which I have sold. You know it's once of those switches where you think "s*it, I've made a mistake!"

I kept thinking of your comment that you preferred the Gold on sources as the Rhodium was a bit of a muchness. Is that still the case?

To this end, I switched the sources to the Maestro and put the power and pre on both outlets of the Rhodium NCF. I presume these have a greater current draw and will hasten the burn in while listening.

Elizabeth

• Love is all there is....
« Reply #46 on: 29 Sep 2018, 06:49 pm »
I have moved my Marantz SA-10 to the Rhodium GTX NCF balanced AC from the PS Audio balanced, GTX gold just a day before.
A slight irritation in the HF sound made me try the SA-10 back on the Furman.
Other CD spinners are still on the gold.
My ARC Sp-15 is on the gold..
I really can't promise anything is staying anywhere. I am always trying different combinations. Two conditioners, from the wall, balanced or not balanced AC, gold and Rhodium Duplex.
But in general I am liking the Rhodium more as time goes on. But some things still just sound better on the gold.
I probably am close to the Rhodium being really broken in. I am not holding my breath on THAT statement though. My 'theory 'is another month.. 1000 hours of use. Then I think they will be broken in completely, fully and totally. (I hope.)

pursuitofnow

« Reply #47 on: 23 Mar 2019, 03:40 pm »
I'm curious as some time has gone by... any updates?

mikey8811

« Reply #48 on: 23 Mar 2019, 05:13 pm »
I'm curious as some time has gone by... any updates?

If you are hesitant about trying them out, all I can say is that in my system, the Rhodium NCF balances out quite nicely after burn in. It is not as warm sounding as the Gold but is smooth, with an extended yet non fatiguing treble. I can say I prefer it to the Gold. What you have read here in this posts by others are pretty true to form. You just need to put up with the painful burn in process, knowing that you will be rewarded in the end, if your system is similar to mine.

I have my power strip with preamp and all sources going to the Rhodium NCF.

I still prefer the power amp to the Maestro for the added body and fullness that imparts.

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #49 on: 24 Mar 2019, 04:39 am »
I was amazed several years back when I upgraded outlets to the GTX-D rhodiums one at a time.  the benefits are real.

I laugh my tail off when i hear about some of the nuts o things folks think improves sound

BUT WAIT A MINUTE

Really wall out lets are doomed from the start because of the snap off options tap between each out let on the unit, these little break away tabs are the only conductor between wire in and wire out,

WHAT NOT TO DO, IF YOU CAN NOT TURN OFF BREAKER, OR/AND YOU HAVE NO ELECTRICIANS TAPE
DON'T ATTEMPT THIS

WHAT TO DO

on left and right sides of outlet, wrap some THIN OFC wire in a figure 8 between each top and bottom screw, solder lightly then put in and out inner wall " run" wires in screws, THEN COVER IT WELL WITH ELECTRICIANS TAPE,,,REAL WELL OR DO NOT MESS WITH IT.

I know this needs a picture but i am way to drunk to use a camera.

pursuitofnow

« Reply #50 on: 24 Mar 2019, 04:16 pm »
If you are hesitant about trying them out, all I can say is that in my system, the Rhodium NCF balances out quite nicely after burn in. It is not as warm sounding as the Gold but is smooth, with an extended yet non fatiguing treble. I can say I prefer it to the Gold. What you have read here in this posts by others are pretty true to form. You just need to put up with the painful burn in process, knowing that you will be rewarded in the end, if your system is similar to mine.

I have my power strip with preamp and all sources going to the Rhodium NCF.

I still prefer the power amp to the Maestro for the added body and fullness that imparts.

Thanks Mikey. That's what I've been gathering, painful break in process but worth it. I'm about to begin the journey with FI-50 connectors on power cables and will soon be ordering the receptacles. Most of my gear is tube, so NCF (R) seems like the right decision.