High End receptacles Furutech GTX duplex

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: High End receptacles Furutech GTX duplex
« Reply #20 on: 14 Sep 2018, 04:26 pm »
Receptacles depend on spring tension to hold the plug tightly. One of the last things that you want to do to a spring is 'cyro' treatment. 'cyro' treatment is much colder than the storage temperature

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #21 on: 14 Sep 2018, 04:27 pm »
   Hey, we agree on something Hip hip hooray !!!!!!!
charles
So why is it that you both find reality and good engineering practices funny?

Elizabeth

• Love is all there is....
« Reply #22 on: 14 Sep 2018, 05:27 pm »
So why is it that you both find reality and good engineering practices funny?
I am requesting politely that you do not 'start shit' on my thread.  :thumb:
You may not have bothered to read the rules in this forum. Perhaps you should try reading this one:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87689.0

mikey8811

« Reply #23 on: 15 Sep 2018, 03:40 pm »
So theoretically, are there any advantages of putting my preamp directly to the wall on the same duplex as my power amp and have all the digital sources on a power strip to another duplex on the wall?

Or will the preamp benefit from being on the strip with the digital sources?

Elizabeth

« Reply #24 on: 15 Sep 2018, 05:10 pm »
So theoretically, are there any advantages of putting my preamp directly to the wall on the same duplex as my power amp and have all the digital sources on a power strip to another duplex on the wall?

It is entirely how it sounds BEST to YOUR ears. Totally. I am often enough (usually when I change something) trying stuff out every which way! to see how it sounds the best.
The other day while listening on my phones later at night, I swapped the headamp plug a few ways. To see which sounded best. Also did some stuff with the settings on the Marantz Sa-10 disc spinner-DAC. Finding a setting that was a lot better via phones.
In general, the preamp IMO, in the conditioner will be 'cleaner' sounding. but may be a little thinner too. From the wall would usually be a little more congested, but maybe more body and slam. All 'maybe'.

I personally have been chasing clarity as the main goal for years. So much so, I am always on the edge of a little lean sounding. So I find more changes inlittle stuff than perhaps the average person.(and of any one thing the Furutech duplex took me further than any other one thing I have done, besides buying Magnepan 20.7 speakers.. The 20.7 renewed my hunt for better sound....)

charmerci

« Reply #25 on: 15 Sep 2018, 08:02 pm »

I only have experience with SurgeX but it's made a nice improvement in my sound.

Early B.

« Reply #26 on: 15 Sep 2018, 08:22 pm »

If you don't want or need a power conditioner to protect your equipment, then, yeah, try whatever you like. I, too, have a SurgeX (modded), and it not only protects my equipment, it also improves the sound.

Ern Dog

« Reply #27 on: 16 Sep 2018, 04:09 am »
Early B-  Tell me more about your modded SurgeX.  Which model and what kind of mods?

I’m using an Uberbuss and love how it sounds but worried that there is no surge protection.  Does the SurgeX sound as good as the Uber?

mikey8811

« Reply #28 on: 16 Sep 2018, 03:53 pm »
It is entirely how it sounds BEST to YOUR ears. Totally. I am often enough (usually when I change something) trying stuff out every which way! to see how it sounds the best.

The other day while listening on my phones later at night, I swapped the headamp plug a few ways. To see which sounded best. Also did some stuff with the settings on the Marantz Sa-10 disc spinner-DAC. Finding a setting that was a lot better via phones.
In general, the preamp IMO, in the conditioner will be 'cleaner' sounding. but may be a little thinner too. From the wall would usually be a little more congested, but maybe more body and slam. All 'maybe'.

I tried it out - I preferred the preamp together with the power amp to the Maestro, straight to the wall.

The digital sources benefited from the power strip to the  GTX-D Gold.

The Maestro is less dry but surprisingly also more neutral (if that makes sense) than the GTX-D Gold for the preamp which is a tubed Cary. It was like you said, straight to the wall was slightly more congested but fuller sounding. There was less air between the instruments. Strangely, the bass was more solid and being so there was less reverb on the low bass on some troublesome recordings than with the GTX-D (if that makes sense). There was more inner detail with the GTX-D on other frequencies.

I liked the combination of the two outlets this way vs. just one per se - similar I guess to how you liked the NCF Rhodium for everything and the Gold on digital.

Perhaps someone with both the NCF Rhodium & the Maestro can tell me how they compare
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2018, 07:41 pm by mikey8811 »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
« Reply #29 on: 16 Sep 2018, 09:57 pm »

Yes there is. Using two lines one for analog and one for digital is preferred. Second using the same receptacle for amp and preamp is good for using same ground plane. BTW plug amp in top outlet of receptacle as the power goes there first. If those lines are dedicated lines then the affect is stronger.
  Now try ungrounding the digital into strip. Leave strip grounded. Then try ungrounding analog and leave digital grounded. Report back  :popcorn: Ya gonna be surprised.

charles

Early B.

« Reply #30 on: 17 Sep 2018, 01:37 am »
Early B-  Tell me more about your modded SurgeX.  Which model and what kind of mods?

I’m using an Uberbuss and love how it sounds but worried that there is no surge protection.  Does the SurgeX sound as good as the Uber?

Yeah, I use an UberBuss and MiniBuss with my SurgeX from ZenWave and love it. Stacking ones power conditioning works quite well. I purchased a used 2-oulet model on ebay for dirt cheap and sent it to Dave to mod. Not sure of everything he did, but likely included upgraded caps, new outlet, and a tethered cable. Worth every penny. I would strongly encourage you to get your hands on a SurgeX, even if you don't mod it.

Ern Dog

« Reply #31 on: 17 Sep 2018, 05:30 pm »
Cool. Thanks Brad. I just made an offer on the one that popped up for sale. Perfect timing  :thumb:

mikey8811

« Reply #32 on: 21 Sep 2018, 04:43 pm »
Yes there is. Using two lines one for analog and one for digital is preferred. Second using the same receptacle for amp and preamp is good for using same ground plane. BTW plug amp in top outlet of receptacle as the power goes there first. If those lines are dedicated lines then the affect is stronger.
  Now try ungrounding the digital into strip. Leave strip grounded. Then try ungrounding analog and leave digital grounded. Report back  :popcorn: Ya gonna be surprised.

charles

I don't think I am game for removing the ground.

In sum what I have found is as follows:

With a strip with Cary tube preamp and digital sources on a Furutech GTX-D Gold outlet and Pass power amp to a Maestro on the wall, the combination seems decent but lately with some bass heavy recordings I have found the bass thick and boomy on extreme low bass notes. The mids and highs are fine and I tend to be sensitive to bright treble.

I took the preamp out and put it to the Maestro on the wall and this ameliorated the bass somewhat. Everything became fuller sounding but as a result, there was less low bass reverb (sounds contradictory?)

I suspect it is the GTX-D Gold. I am guessing if I replaced that with a GTX-D Rhodium NCF, it will tighten up the bass and hopefully eliminate the excessive low bass reverb. But in doing so, will the highs become too forward, hard or bright as Rhodium tends to be vs Gold?

Any experienced feedback from users who have tried the Maestro, GTX-D Gold and GTX-D Rhodium NCF is much appreciated.

Thanks

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #33 on: 21 Sep 2018, 05:34 pm »
Just an aside - I read part of this to an engineer friend of mine this morning and he laughed his butt off.  Then I told him I had upgraded outlets and I think he lost a little faith in my sanity.  Oh well.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #34 on: 21 Sep 2018, 05:59 pm »
I am requesting politely that you do not 'start shit' on my thread.........................
Hey, I'm not the one that posted:
Hah hah ha hah hah hah ha ha hah ha hah hah hah ha ha hah ha hah hah hah ha ha ha hah hah hah ha ha hah ha hah hah hah ha ha hah ha hah ha hah hah hah ha ha hah ha hah hah hah ha ha hah ha hah

and just why do you have problems with?
a] reality
b] good engineering practices

Elizabeth

« Reply #35 on: 21 Sep 2018, 06:37 pm »
You forgot the  :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #36 on: 21 Sep 2018, 10:12 pm »
Nobody's gone too far here, but we're getting way too close to the no Jackass Comments rule on a couple of these posts.  We're having a great discussion about outlets here, there's no reason to spoil it with comments that aren't constructive.  Thanks for your cooperation.

maxima95

« Reply #37 on: 22 Sep 2018, 05:30 pm »
This thread was started by someone who shared an experience with "High End receptacles Furutech GTX duplex" and was seeking information from others who have done this as well. 

There is no need for someone who does not contribute via this experience with ("High End receptacles Furutech GTX duplex") to go off on a tangent and try to make the thread about himself.

Photon46

« Reply #38 on: 22 Sep 2018, 08:56 pm »
As to the prior comment about cryo treatment being inadvisable for springs, many in the automotive industry believe otherwise. Engine valve springs are routinely cryogenically treated in pretty much every type of high performance engine building these days; F1, NASCAR, etc. Longevity increases of several hundred percent are reported depending on the metallurgy of the springs.

Steve

« Reply #39 on: 23 Sep 2018, 12:21 am »
As to the prior comment about cryo treatment being inadvisable for springs, many in the automotive industry believe otherwise. Engine valve springs are routinely cryogenically treated in pretty much every type of high performance engine building these days; F1, NASCAR, etc. Longevity increases of several hundred percent are reported depending on the metallurgy of the springs.

+1 Photon.

A slightly different example for a different purpose. Chrysler used to, maybe still does, sets their engine blocks out for a year to relieve stresses, before machining.

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2018, 02:55 pm by Steve »