Copper or Silver Cable for Power Supply to DAC Connection

fado

I am about ready to purchase a Paul Hynes SR4 linear power supply. He offers annealed copper or fine silver cable options to connect the power supply to a system component. I will be using the 15V/2.0A SR4 DC output to power my Acoustic Digimaster Tube DAC.

What effect on sound characteristics might I expect from the copper cable?

What effect on sound characteristics might I expect from the silver cable?

Thanks

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Copper or Silver Cable for Power Supply to DAC Connection
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2018, 11:50 pm »
If a DC power supply cable makes a difference in the sound of a DAC, you need a better designed DAC.

A_shah

« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2018, 12:48 am »
If a DC power supply cable makes a difference in the sound of a DAC, you need a better designed DAC.

Plus +1

Escott1377

« Reply #3 on: 6 Sep 2018, 01:22 pm »
Gotta' agree on the comments here.

Please take into consideration that you using a linear PSU in the 1st place so the cheaper of the 2 options will work just fine.

Matter of fact, if you can get away from either option w/ a deduct an even less expensive option should work just fine for you.

Good luck!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
« Reply #4 on: 6 Sep 2018, 02:13 pm »
I am about ready to purchase a Paul Hynes SR4 linear power supply. He offers annealed copper or fine silver cable options to connect the power supply to a system component. I will be using the 15V/2.0A SR4 DC output to power my Acoustic Digimaster Tube DAC.

What effect on sound characteristics might I expect from the copper cable?

What effect on sound characteristics might I expect from the silver cable?

Thanks

Obviously there is a reason why Hynes offers both. Ask Hynes why.  :duh:   Opinions of someones work and good work at that without knowledge as to why is just wrong IMHO.

charles

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2018, 09:58 pm »
I agree Charles, most small shop owners that I've dealt with are usually very honest about their products.  They'll tell you if "this sounds great" or "I carry it for customers that want it, you'll be fine with the copper".  Just call or email.

fado

« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2018, 05:41 pm »
In posting my question, I was hoping first, that other Paul Hynes owners could share their experience and , secondly, to benefit from the depth and breadth of expertise present in this form. Paul Hynes provided this link to answer my question about copper vs silver cables:  http://hifipig.com/paul-hynes-sr3-power-supply/

Thanks all for the responses and reminders about common sense.

The difference in cost between silver and copper 0.5 meter cabling is ~$29.00 so I am going to get the silver. The other two power supplies that attracted me were the Mojo Audio Joule (factory reconditioned) and SBooster.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2018, 09:18 pm »
Unfortunately that Paul Hynes page contains no information as to why or how the supply cable could possibly make a difference in the sound.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #8 on: 9 Sep 2018, 03:33 am »
A few years back I discussed silver  wire with a friend who is an electrical engineer.  While he had no experience with silver wire, he did have experience with silver solder where he worked.  He said they would often use silver solder when doing maintenance on power systems in the field.  He commented that he could measure the conductivity of a connection improve as he melted silver into it displacing the older lead based solder.  He felt it wasn't just that the newer joint was in better condition - he said he knew the silver improved the electrical flow through the joint.  This guy is a no nonsense type, letting math rule most decisions.  Since then I have built up a nice collection of DIY silver wire interconnects with silver RCA plugs and have even replaced some of the female RCAs with silver versions.  I cannot swear they are better than copper, but they do well enough to keep me happy.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #9 on: 9 Sep 2018, 12:17 pm »
A wire and a bad solder connection are two different things!

We also should note that electronic silver solder often contains only 3 or 4% silver.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: 9 Sep 2018, 05:07 pm »
Since there's an option of 2 power cords, why not order both so you can compare and return 1 of them for a refund? Learning how changes in your own system sound is far more valuable than opinions that may not carry over to your system.   :D