Just discovered Rachmaninoff and need some direction...

Randy

lonewolfny
« Reply #40 on: 23 Jan 2005, 04:33 pm »
I forgot to mention Haydn's London and Paris symphonies.  Davis and the Concertgebouw Orch.  You can get the London's cheap on Phillips Duos.  For  authentic instrument versions there are on Helios, Hyperion's budget label, many sets done by the Hanover Band - life affirming performances.

I see you have Butler amps.  I've been intrigued by them, but can find no reviews.  What's your opionion?  Compared with your Krell for instance.

Randy

« Reply #41 on: 25 Jan 2005, 01:05 am »
A no brainer, especially at the sale price, is the box set of complete Bax symphonies on Chandos as conducted by Vernon Handley.  Avoid the Naxos versions and the early Chandos series.  These performances on Chandos are considered definitive and were released just last year.  Great music.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #42 on: 25 Jan 2005, 02:32 am »
Agreed on the BAX, that is a pretty awesome set.  Disagree on the Davis set of Haydn - Dorati is a much better choice in the late symphonies - more urgency and drive, less relaxed geniality.  That of course is my preference, Haydn as sturm und drang composer.

Randy

« Reply #43 on: 26 Jan 2005, 12:00 am »
Dorati loses a lot of points because of his orchestra (a pick-up band composed of Hungarian refugees, good, but not top flight like Davis's Concertgebouw) and the old 60s era recordings.  I had a few volumes of them on Lp.  Great in their time but they have been rendered obsolete, though if it's Haydn, you can't do anything but enjoy the music.  As Tyson says, all else is opinion.

Here's another recommendation.  (I can't stop.)  Stanford symphonies and Irish Rhapsodies on Chandos.  I think they can all be had in cut-rate box sets now.  Then there's Hamilton Harty's Irish Symphony, with a fine version to be had on Naxos. . .

Randy

« Reply #44 on: 26 Jan 2005, 12:04 am »
Which reminds me.  DG has recently released Trevor Pinnock's recordings of many of Haydn's midlife symphones in a box set with at steal-level price.  (English Concert, dr. by Pinnock.)  Just marvelous music.  I bought them one at a time at full price ten or twelve years ago.

Randy

« Reply #45 on: 26 Jan 2005, 12:05 am »
Which reminds me.  DG has recently released Trevor Pinnock's recordings of many of Haydn's midlife symphones in a box set with at steal-level price.  (English Concert, dr. by Pinnock.)  Just marvelous music.  I bought them one at a time at full price ten or twelve years ago.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #46 on: 26 Jan 2005, 02:40 am »
I haven't heard the Pinnock - how does it compare to Kuijken or Goodman (also period sets)?  I found Kuijken to thin sounding and Goodman too genial and not dramatic enough.  Pinnock seems like he would be a better interpreter, I'd like your take.

CSMR

« Reply #47 on: 26 Jan 2005, 03:10 am »
I would consider Harnoncourt for some Haydn symphonies. I don't normally like him, but his style works with Haydn symphonies IMO.

Randy

« Reply #48 on: 27 Jan 2005, 03:36 am »
Haven't heard Harnocourt's Haydn symphonies.  I have a few done by Frans Bruggen and a period instrument group on Phillips.  Very good.  Pinnock recorded six CDs of the symphonies.  I think the set is called Haydn's Sturm and Drang symphonies.  I can' find it listed at Tower, Amazon, or Arkivmusic, so it's probably not being imported into the states by DG.  However you can get it at mdt. a mail order store in Britain.  This is a great outfit, btw.  Often you can get European titles cheaper there than you can in the states even in these days of the weak dollar.   link
http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/pages/home/default.asp

They make it easy to order online unlike many Euro outfits and will let you shop in U.S. dollars so you always know exactly what you will be paying.

Tyson, the Pinnock performances of these symphonies are just as you expected - excellent.  Maybe a little bit livelier than Goodman, but I like Goodman nearly as well.  When I got these recordings when they were first released, they sounded very harsh and forward, but that was alleviated as I upgraded my equipment.  They now sound great.

BTW, nearly all of Pinnock's DG recordings are now being rereleased at a reduced price which makes them great bargains.  Handel Concerti Grosso, Organ Concertos, Corelli Concerti Grosso, Handel's Water Music, etc. all tops.

Randy

Pinnock's Haydn
« Reply #49 on: 27 Jan 2005, 04:01 am »