How is solid core speaker wire better then stranded?

GRACE RUBY

Re: How is solid core speaker wire better then stranded?
« Reply #60 on: 12 Jan 2019, 11:06 pm »
This is kinda interesting, I'm probably going to need to look into this more myself with what y'all have told me, and I'm gonna get around to watching that video that grace showed me

Hello Dr. Husky
the thing you can truly look forward to is that you can make/copy many wires out there cheap, as long as its your version that is legal,,,, go to a thrift shop and buy RCA cords and cut the ends off for RCA plugs,
get this stuff to cover your work

https://m.cabletiesandmore.com/products-of-colored-expandable-braided-cable-sleeving-per-foot-584 

PLUS CONGRATS, YOUR THREAD HERE HAS BEEN READ 1552 times.
COOL DUDE !!!!
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2019, 10:44 pm by GRACE RUBY »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • All Tweeters look like a target, then shoot them!
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #61 on: 12 Jan 2019, 11:21 pm »
Worth mention solid wire is used as speaker cable by full range drivers customers at many years, inclusive CAT 5, this wire are recommeded by David Dicks for the Nirvana FR drivers, hence the press on connectors used in his drivers have a small hole to hold speaker cable.
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2019, 02:39 am by FullRangeMan »

EZHusky

• Just a Highschooler trying to get by.
« Reply #62 on: 13 Jan 2019, 03:11 am »
Hello Dr. Husky
the thing you can truly look forward to is that you can make/copy many wires out there cheap, as long as its your version that is legal,,,, go to a thrift shop and buy RCA cords and cut the ends off for RCA plugs,
get this stuff to cover your work

https://m.cabletiesandmore.com/products-of-colored-expandable-braided-cable-sleeving-per-foot-584 

PLUS CONGRATS, YOUR THREAD HERE HAS BEEN READ 1502 times.
COOL DUDE !!!!
Thats my plan to build some speaker wire

artur9

« Reply #63 on: 13 Jan 2019, 03:37 pm »
I found the design papers behind the Belden Iconoclast line to be very illuminating.  I would never spend that much on a cable (maybe if I win MegaMillions).

http://www.iconoclastcable.com/story

The science behind its construction was very interesting to me.

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #64 on: 13 Jan 2019, 09:36 pm »
Thats my plan to build some speaker wire

THAT'S RIGHT
KEEP SAYING YOUR GONNA DO IT
LET NO DEPRESSED JEALOUS OF YOUR INGENUITY PEOPLE
TRIP YOU UP
HA HA HA "HUSKY WIRE" AIN'T A BAD NAME TO START OUT WITH

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #65 on: 13 Jan 2019, 09:45 pm »
Worth mention solid wire is used as speaker cable by full range drivers customers at many years, inclusive CAT 5, this wire are recommeded by David Dicks for the Nirvana FR drivers, hence the press on connectors used in his drivers have a small hole to hold speaker cable.

IMHO

I think it will drive you nuts trying to know all there is about wire, BUT I also believe their are most likely as as many different system value combinations as there are different wires, oh thank god i am completely happy with what i got and the searching is over.

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #66 on: 13 Jan 2019, 09:57 pm »
I found the design papers behind the Belden Iconoclast line to be very illuminating.  I would never spend that much on a cable (maybe if I win MegaMillions).

http://www.iconoclastcable.com/story

The science behind its construction was very interesting to me.

AGAIN IMHO

:deadhorse:

There are so many junk snake oil sales wire people it is nuts, many of these multi thousand dollar wires cost nothing to make, I know I order design wire to my spec all the time, the other day I got made special coated
OFC wire.

How much did it cost--NOTHING THEY DID IT FOR FREE AS A FAVOR. cause they like my crazy ideas, jokes  and i mostly pay my mini bills with them in advance.

Grace Ruby

PS

I JUST PRICED A BELDEN 5 FT RCA FOR 700.00 THAT'S RIDICULOUS, and that must be a mistake cause i got another price a blue jeans for what must be a different cable for 9 times less oh well I will make my own  :guns:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #67 on: 14 Jan 2019, 12:30 am »
Pierre Sprey at Mapleshade also deserves a mention, when it comes to the small gauge solid core and ribbon conductors at reasonable prices, not to speak of silver contact enhancer at half the price others charge for a similar product. Pierre makes good recordings, too (and is a controversial defense analyst!).
http://www.mapleshadestore.com/index.php

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #68 on: 14 Jan 2019, 10:28 am »
IMHO

I think it will drive you nuts trying to know all there is about wire, BUT I also believe their are most likely as as many different system value combinations as there are different wires, oh thank god i am completely happy with what i got and the searching is over.
With solid core wire I use to buy Neotech UPOCC at Sonic Craft.

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #69 on: 15 Jan 2019, 05:49 am »
Interesting site Russell, but dam you  :oops: he's gotta a jazz recording I gotta buy now  :banana piano:

Husky you may want to look at these RCA'S ribbons,

As a idea for speaker wires (foil connections ?  )

I have never heard a bad thing about Maple Shade offerings.
Although I know folks who would give him grief for the lack of RF shielding, or i might just not be seeing it inside the copper shown here on surface   

Grace Ruby

Maple Shade RCA IC'S

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #70 on: 15 Jan 2019, 05:59 am »
oops wrong button  :duh:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #71 on: 15 Jan 2019, 08:30 am »
Interesting site Russell, but dam you  :oops: he's gotta a jazz recording I gotta buy now  :banana piano:

Husky you may want to look at these RCA'S ribbons,

As a idea for speaker wires (foil connections ?  )

I have never heard a bad thing about Maple Shade offerings.
Although I know folks who would give him grief for the lack of RF shielding, or i might just not be seeing it inside the copper shown here on surface   

Grace Ruby

Maple Shade RCA IC'S

Oh, the recordings.  Unlike anything else, he tries to recreate the sound of a live group at the small venues he listened to these and other artists in the DC and surrounding area's jazz scene.   I'm particularly fond of The C Nuts, traditional jazz band doing rock covers, just awesome.

Back on topic, although I have many of his recordings I've never bought any cables or equipment from him.  I have listened to his systems at shows, including the "floor seat", and you can just sit there for hours, zero listener fatigue.   His lines are so sensible as well, he has the this is cheap but sounds great line, and the this is what I'd build if price wasn't the most important consideration line.

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #72 on: 17 Jan 2019, 06:10 am »
Oh, the recordings.  Unlike anything else, he tries to recreate the sound of a live group at the small venues he listened to these and other artists in the DC and surrounding area's jazz scene.   I'm particularly fond of The C Nuts, traditional jazz band doing rock covers, just awesome.
quote edited to save space

ha ha ha ha  truly surreal sounding, dope that i am, I was listening to some guys he recorded and
said "Dam I 've heard sound like that before", then i poked around the site and went back to his sample and listened again, "I know i ve heard that kind of sound before, what is that ???" then thought yea like when i am in the same room someone is playing.

Professor Husky

Mark Knox who was spokesman for sharp 1 bit amps gave me this idea
Take five lines of coax cable and run them same way you would speak cable but five lines for + and five for -
for each speaker, this can have a huge break in time, but very interesting sound, for something you can collect in alleys etc.. wow man 1640 hits here

Grace Ruby

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
« Reply #73 on: 17 Jan 2019, 04:23 pm »
  How about someone makes two cables. Same connectors same dielectric but one stranded and one solid wire. Then listen for a difference. IMHO there is no best wire. Everything from dielectric, wire, connector, winding, length all play a part.
  Kinda like Humpty Dumpty putting him back together again.

charles

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #74 on: 18 Jan 2019, 06:45 am »
  How about someone makes two cables. Same connectors same dielectric but one stranded and one solid wire. Then listen for a difference. IMHO there is no best wire. Everything from dielectric, wire, connector, winding, length all play a part.
Kinda like Humpty Dumpty putting him back together again.
charles

GREAT IDEA Charles 8)
but don't use connectors, they color sound huge, unless you want to warm sound with a more resistive load against out puts.

and now...........RUBYS ALWAYS DEEPLY HUMBLE OPINION  :bowdown:

thick solid core, maybe like 9 strands, one full turn per 7-8 inches,  is a quicker wire and a bright (Ouch  :duh:) wire, Cardas shellacked wire some what, just some what the same, bass is not what i like as well, its boomy for my ears and the whole sound presentation is up a screeching octave too high from what the artist actually wanted and recorded it in, in short-ear burning cats and women will clear the room BAD SOUNDING HI END I am just saying, keep the music in the original key yea know. if one has any listeners treble fatigue, we got failure to do what music is suppost to do, not make us high strung as a electrified ferret on a hot plate. but to other rigs and ears those wires are just great, really great  :P  on other rigs......
I like a stranded cord with a big fat Teflon insulater down the middle, with low center bass drag down the center, cause i like a fluffy tight sound, but I am using a 9 pound hi end tri path amp, with Caps, slam and detail like objects hanging in mid air, you could grab and put on a coat hanger and send out to be cleaned, but they don't need it, so in a lush sound i don't miss anything,  I listen to mostly slow 50's, 60's, 70's jazz, i like a  plush soft suck you in ASAP without any analysis napping is permitted here dream sound, I want breasts not sound effects.

But thats just me, and we all know I am crazy  :thumb:

GRACE RUBY

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
« Reply #75 on: 18 Jan 2019, 05:08 pm »
  Agree no connectors was thinking ICs but we are talking speaker wire :duh: For me only natural fiber dielectric. Either wool, cotton or Silk. No Teflon for me. Require :cry: a long break in and to my ears a dry sound. Bare wires in cotton and silk are so natural sounding. Also like to separate Positive and Neg. runs.

charles

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #76 on: 18 Jan 2019, 07:13 pm »
  Agree no connectors was thinking ICs but we are talking speaker wire :duh: For me only natural fiber dielectric. Either wool, cotton or Silk. No Teflon for me. Require :cry: a long break in and to my ears a dry sound. Bare wires in cotton and silk are so natural sounding. Also like to separate Positive and Neg. runs.

charles
Natural fibers was the only isolation existing in the old days, BTW do these current production wire are bare/naked or are varnished as magnet wire?

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #77 on: 18 Jan 2019, 07:37 pm »
 charles

Charles you must have blessed ears, I am most happy for you, truly.
Teflon being a false worshiped god often, but it is hard as heck to mill a wire with a shoe lace down the middle to nullify the gravity wave that creates a slower flow of electrons, especially in the bass.
but it can make a sturdy IC insulator air tube as you see in cardas. what i love about cotton(shoe laces) is it defies all the high cost points associated with hi end, Professor Husky here could offer such a cotton isolated speaker wire at a dam low price point, often what is good for a IC does not hurt a speaker wire as well. And i also agree, there is zero reason to connect pos and neg side by side except for the manufacturers convenience. While silk creates a wonderful charming image for the audiophile looking to add jewellery to his Rig, Silk is a dense material and as such can hold a charge, and is even used to create/hold a charge in class room experiments where glass and silk are rubbed together to create a vandergraft like device.

Men seek to make a creation from knowledge past gained, and only a fool does not look to science gained
when trying to move forward, However as sometimes is the case just when our tower of babel egos need it, we get surprised to find some persons Rig, who has cast many of "These Facts" to the way side, and yet however,,,,creates a deliriously wonderful sounding machine despite ignoring all we know.

Years ago, I think it was David Hafler who called Mr. Marantz on the phone to congratulate him, saying-
Saul, hey man, we got your new dam amp in the shop here, and based on the component specks of your machine, its doing exactly what every manufacturer of those same components say can not be done with that combination, and yet dammit Saul, there it plays doing it and no one has an idea as to how???"

God is alive, and her magic is afoot. 

GR