How is solid core speaker wire better then stranded?

EZHusky

• Just a Highschooler trying to get by.
I ask this because power flows on the outside of the wire, not inside. So wouldn't more strands mean more power/clarity? Why do people put solid core wire in speaker wire?   

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: How is solid core speaker wire better then stranded?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2018, 01:22 am »
I ask this because power flows on the outside of the wire, not inside
I have not see it at naked eye so, seems it depend on the metal resistance, the only who could confirm this was Nicola Telsa. More strands more pelicular effect, less copper, less cost, more profit.
Why do people put solid core wire in speaker wire?
Sound is better, usually internal wiring is solid.

EZHusky

« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2018, 01:26 am »
I ask this because power flows on the outside of the wire, not inside
I have not see it at naked eye so, seems it depend on the metal resistance, the only who could confirm this was Nicola Telsa. More strands more pelicular effect, less copper, less cost, more profit.
Why do people put solid core wire in speaker wire?
Sound is better, usually internal wiring is solid.

That still doesn't really answer my question of why?
Its just very weird to me how it works

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2018, 01:38 am »
That still doesn't really answer my question of why?
Its just very weird to me how it works
According my crystal ball the astral influences of musical hyperspace prefer solid core.

EZHusky

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2018, 01:43 am »
According my crystal ball the astral influences of musical hyperspace prefer solid core.

Yes i understand that, but i wanna know how it sounds better...
Like i said, the flow of electricity flows on the outside of the wire, not through it. so more strands would mean more flow, because it has more strands to flow around, thus a better connection? But so many people (including me, i got some solid core wire and it sounds great) says it sounds better, but how? It just doesn't add up. Ive been thinking about this so much and it just makes my head hurt because im thinking about this so much. Its just aaaaaaaaaa

MttBsh

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2018, 01:59 am »
Yes i understand that, but i wanna know how it sounds better...
Like i said, the flow of electricity flows on the outside of the wire, not through it. so more strands would mean more flow, because it has more strands to flow around, thus a better connection? But so many people (including me, i got some solid core wire and it sounds great) says it sounds better, but how? It just doesn't add up. Ive been thinking about this so much and it just makes my head hurt because im thinking about this so much. Its just aaaaaaaaaa

Suggestion: stop thinking about it, go take a nice long walk. You'll soon realize how ridiculous it is to get stressed out about strands of speaker wire.

EZHusky

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2018, 02:02 am »
Suggestion: stop thinking about it, go take a nice long walk. You'll soon realize how ridiculous it is to get stressed out about strands of speaker wire.

that was sarcastic, i just want an answer.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2018, 02:20 am »
How it sound better is all about too complex variables, personal taste, music taste, ears age, sex genre, equipment, xovers, recording quality, media type, recording compression level, etc etc and yet some audiophiles like to tune his ears drinking to hear ''better''...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 3 Sep 2018, 02:31 am »
i just want an answer.
The interest in physical science is very praiseworthy and necessary for the advancement of knowledge, but the Official Science research has not yet reached audiophilia as it seems the Marketing Dept is blocked all access roads, so in this meantime I suggest you just listen music with solid wire happy as the audio magazines are yet unaware this secret and solid wire are yet cheap.

Early B.

« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2018, 02:52 am »

There is no answer. In fact, you're asking the wrong question. 

And who told you electrons travel on the outside of a wire? The electrons beneath of the surface of the wire aren't affected by a signal? What about the protons? No one ever talks about the poor little protons. And don't even get me started on the neglected neutrons.   

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2018, 03:11 am »
While "the signal", electricity, travels at near the speed of light, electrons travel very slowly. Maybe the electrons have an easier, more coherent, time of it traveling through solid wire.As if you weren't driving yourself crazy enough.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 3 Sep 2018, 03:14 am »
EZHusky: what solid wire are you using? Any sound opinion?
Congratulations on your find, in your age I was lost in cassete tapes.

EZHusky

« Reply #12 on: 3 Sep 2018, 05:00 am »
The interest in physical science is very praiseworthy and necessary for the advancement of knowledge, but the Official Science research has not yet reached audiophilia as it seems the Marketing Dept is blocked all access roads, so in this meantime I suggest you just listen music with solid wire happy as the audio magazines are yet unaware this secret and solid wire are yet cheap.

Well this question isnt just an audiophile question

EZHusky

« Reply #13 on: 3 Sep 2018, 05:11 am »
There is no answer. In fact, you're asking the wrong question. 

And who told you electrons travel on the outside of a wire? The electrons beneath of the surface of the wire aren't affected by a signal? What about the protons? No one ever talks about the poor little protons. And don't even get me started on the neglected neutrons.   

My brother. Who is a journeyman electrician, and if that's not good enough a quick google search would tell you that that's how electricity flows. and i get what you mean about the protons and neutrons, but don't they not move? While they are inside the wire, i still feel that even with the fact that with solid wire, you are still limited by a lot by having that much less electrons as stranded. Right?

Don't get mad if there is holes in my theory, my knowledge is based off of late nights diving into rabbit holes of how this works.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 3 Sep 2018, 05:41 am »
Mains wall outlet and HV post wire may not operate same way as music wattage flowing, mains outlet or HV power trafos public lines run AC limited freq usually 60Hz.

Many hifi amplifiers work most of the time with little power 1 to 5W and are densely modulated in frequency by music, as I said before some SS output stage amps works based on DC and others on AC.

So Iam not sure how 1W of heavy freq modulated music flow in a few meters of solid wire.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 3 Sep 2018, 11:19 am »
Some of the finest sounding cables out there use very fine gauge wire, and lots of it. You are on the right track. Solid core wire is a simple solution, but not the best one by any stretch.

Jena Labs, Stealth, Morrow, are just some of the brands with multi-stranded fine gauge wires.

Early B.

« Reply #16 on: 3 Sep 2018, 11:30 am »
My brother. Who is a journeyman electrician, and if that's not good enough a quick google search would tell you that that's how electricity flows.

In this hobby, any attempt to use science explain even the simplest thing quickly descends into conjecture because the only way to confirm those differences is by listening which is entirely subjective. Besides, there are a zillion types of stranded wire, gauge, shielding and connector configurations, so there's no general answer.  Then there's a practical application to consider -- 12 gauge and lower solid core speaker wire is unwieldy.   

Speaking of conjecture, I'll add my $0.02 -- sonic differences in wire are mainly the result of the quality of the connectors and shielding, if any, not whether the wire is solid or stranded. 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #17 on: 3 Sep 2018, 12:44 pm »
The theory, as I understand it, is not that solid core sounds better, it's that stranded wire can sound worse.  Multiple strands bound together carrying signal on the surface of the wire interact with each other smearing the time relationship of the signal (proximity effect), something that solid core wiring doesn't have to address.  This can be overcome by using Litz configuration where each strand is insulated individually before being woven together and the advantages of multiple small gauge wire (skin effect) can be fully realized.

IME there is a definite advantage to either solid core wire or true Litz construction (often Litz is misused) in sound quality.  There's an ease or relaxed nature to the sound that's very inviting.  However that's a broad generalization as all things are never equal in audio cables and other factors can swamp construction type.

The guiding factor in all audio cable is that wire can never, ever improve the signal, it can only degrade it.  So you're always looking for what does the least damage to the signal.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #18 on: 3 Sep 2018, 01:03 pm »
The outside the wire is from Maxwell's equations and 'Network Field Theory'.  It's something for theoretical physicists to think about but not very useful in hi-fi systems. Much more useful to us is 'electric circuit analysis'.  But for looking at any situation, you can't jump from one to the other. 

twitch54

« Reply #19 on: 3 Sep 2018, 04:08 pm »

kid, if you want to live a long life, for crying out loud don't get so stressed ! go listen to some music and enjoy ........