Shielded RCA cables

fredgarvin

Re: Shielded RCA cables
« Reply #20 on: 7 Sep 2018, 04:00 pm »
Or it may be that there is a little bit of interference cause background noise that you have come to enjoy.

John Atkinson
Stereophile magazine
August 2005
I think that what the listener perceives with this cable is that at low levels, the sound is fattened and made more coherent-sounding by the dominant second-harmonic distortion. In addition, the presence of background noise cannot be dismissed, as there is some evidence that introducing small amounts of random noise results in a sound that is preferred by listeners. At higher signal levels, transients are accompanied by bursts of higher harmonics. However, these subside as quickly as they appeared. The overall effect is to render the system sound as being more vivid,

The appeal of a lot of unshielded cables is just that. The noise is perceived as 'air' in the treble zone. I think we often expect that noise will be loud or noticeable enough to be easily heard, such as radio or cb signals when in reality it probably often goes unnoticed until one changes a component or cables and thinks "wow, the background of this unit is so black".

But, even so, there are several other parameters in cable that contribute to sonic differences with gear and shielding may not be the most important in most cases.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #21 on: 7 Sep 2018, 09:10 pm »
Few audiophiles measure the RFI/EMI may to affect his room anyway.
It's darn hard to measure the effects of EMI/RFI even for those with great skill. Just hooking up test equipment may change the situation and the interference may increase or decrease.

Battery powered test equipment on the audio outputs may be the only way.

Heck, just changing the length or placement (dress) of cables can change the interference.

Tyson

« Reply #22 on: 7 Sep 2018, 09:49 pm »
I go fully balanced (and shielded) from my DAC to my preamp.  Then single ended (RCA plugs) fully shielded from my preamp to my amps.  I've had a lot of problems with noise in my system, properly shielded cables is one thing that's helped.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • All Tweeters look like a target, then shoot them!
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #23 on: 7 Sep 2018, 10:02 pm »
It's darn hard to measure the effects of EMI/RFI even for those with great skill. Just hooking up test equipment may change the situation and the interference may increase or decrease.

Battery powered test equipment on the audio outputs may be the only way.

Heck, just changing the length or placement (dress) of cables can change the interference.
Correct, otherwise one dont need to be a Einstein to see the bad news to his health and hi-fi sound, just look around the room and see there is some this fashion devices:
wireless phone
Walkie Talkie intercon
cell phone
micro oven
wi-fi
flat TV sets, usually emit lots of InfraRed waves
CRT TV emit lots of X ray to front 3 meters
In this case its abovious this room is polluted, also big tube amps around 3KV emit Xray.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #24 on: 7 Sep 2018, 10:20 pm »
I've built identical shielded and unshielded cables, demo'd and measured them.

Hardly anyone needs shielded cables in a typical home environment to avoid clearly audible noise, but some do, I'd guess 1-2% or so. For phono use this increase to ~20% but I suspect many times the cable simply needs to be shielded as a result of the turntable's own motor.

The shielded cable will have less noise but it's impossible to quantify as it depends on external factors. 

I also noted a consistent subjective preference for the sound of the unshielded cable, with people noting the shielded cable sounding duller. I don't know exactly why but I suspect it has multiple causes. I know for sure it's not just the noise people prefer as I can mitigate the "dull" sound of shielding by spacing the shield away from the conductors further than is typical. This is one of the reasons why some IC cables are thicker than seems reasonable, many times there is just a lot of stuffing between the conductors and the shield. Also, the dull sound is not just increased capacitance either, as higher capacitance wiring geometry like a star quad does not exhibit this behavior. I think it is a result of the shield impinging on the EM field of the cable primarily but I can't provide any evidence.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • All Tweeters look like a target, then shoot them!
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #25 on: 7 Sep 2018, 11:04 pm »
The shielded cable will have less noise but it's impossible to quantify as it depends on external factors.
Short cables is a factor, they are a kind of immune to noise for typical 2V line.