Recommendations for a DAC/Pre+Remote+XLR/RCA

RolandButcher

Recommendations for a DAC/Pre+Remote+XLR/RCA
« on: 7 Aug 2018, 01:37 pm »
Hey everyone. I am looking for a really good DAC/Pre that has the following:

* Remote control
* Both XLR and RCA outputs
* Multiple digital inputs

(I don't need a USB input, Ethernet, headphone amp, or phono preamp)

Right now my leading contender is the PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC ($1699), but I am really hoping to find something under $1000.  The Mytek Liberty would probably be in the #1 spot, but it lacks a remote control.  I appreciate your input, thanks!

jonbee

Re: Recommendations for a DAC/Pre+Remote+XLR/RCA
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2018, 02:18 pm »
A used NuPrime DAC10 is a super bargain at your price. I have 2 of them.

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2018, 02:23 pm »
With your list of must have features, the Stellar and NuPrime DACs might be your only choices anywhere near your price range. Used, you should be able to get one around $1k.

RolandButcher

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2018, 02:29 pm »
Thanks!  That one wasn't on my radar (which is odd considering that I just bought their STA 200 amp). I'll check it out.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2018, 02:57 pm »
Sorry Roland, not even close to Cheap and Cheerful.  I'll move it over to Solid State for you where you'll get more appropriate answers.

RolandButcher

« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2018, 03:17 pm »
Thank you

dburna

« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2018, 03:20 pm »

+1 on this.

I have a DAC10 as well and like it muchly.

-dGB

orientalexpress

« Reply #7 on: 7 Aug 2018, 03:56 pm »
Gustard X20U or Gustard X30U

gab

« Reply #8 on: 7 Aug 2018, 04:37 pm »
Topping DX7s plus the remote.

Has a few things you don't want or need, but you can connect it directly to your XLR/RCA amp and control the volume via remote. Massdrop runs a drop on them occasionally otherwise they are $499 (plus $25 for the remote) from China (aliexpress). I own one and really like it. Review and measurement data here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-topping-dx7s-dac-and-headphone-amp.2378/page-18#post-93924

gab

not too shabby!
« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2018, 06:53 pm by gab »

RolandButcher

« Reply #9 on: 8 Aug 2018, 12:40 am »
Thanks - I had heard of that Topping model, but hadn't found much else about it other than on that website.  I just checked - it's not currently for sale on Massdrop, but I noticed that Massdrop has the Matrix Quattro II is for $499 - which, on paper, seems to check all of my boxes as well.  https://www.massdrop.com/buy/matrix-quattro-ii-dac-amp

Has a few things you don't want or need, but you can connect it directly to your XLR/RCA amp and control the volume via remote. Massdrop runs a drop on them occasionally otherwise they are $499 (plus $25 for the remote) from China (aliexpress). I own one and really like it. Review and measurement data here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-topping-dx7s-dac-and-headphone-amp.2378/page-18#post-93924

gab

not too shabby!

RolandButcher

« Reply #10 on: 8 Aug 2018, 12:57 am »
OK, here is an intriguing option for you NuPrime folks - they currently have on clearance sale the NuPrime HD-AVP ($645, down from $2,250).  They describe it as "an excellent all-in-one product equivalent to “AVP + Media Server + DAC-10 USB DAC”

They call it an "all-digital HT preamp/processor delivers ultra-high resolution USB audio decoding at PCM 384K or DSD256, 24bit/192kHz digital audio, hard-disk media playback, wireless streaming and superb 4K HD video. With six HDMI, two optical, two coaxial, four stereo analog, one USB Audio and three USB Host (for hard drive) inputs. A built-in WiFi network supports Airplay, DLNA and Miracast." 

https://nuoem.com/store/sales-promotion/nuprime-hd-avp/

Seems like a crazy good deal.

JackD

« Reply #11 on: 8 Aug 2018, 01:08 am »
If I remember correctly from the threads about that unit on the Nuprime circle it seems to work fine as a two channel device it was the multi-channel section that was screwed up.  If I was you I would go back and read the threads though.  Your safest and best sounding bet is still going to be the DAC-10.  I also own one of the STA-200's and with it's really low input sensitivity it demands a quiet and quality preamp section to get the best out of it as did the Job 225.  Contact John Casler and see if you can work something out on one and ask him about the HD-AVP.  I've had my DAC-10/ST-10 combo for over two years and no desire to change them in that system. 

It appears if both of the HT based products they released have turned out to be less than smart moves so they are just trying to clear the shelves.  In the end trying to save a few dollars instead of going with one of your two original choices could be a costly mistake.  I have heard the Stellar product but there are a large number of happy DAC-10 users on the forum.   

gab

« Reply #12 on: 8 Aug 2018, 01:38 am »
Yes talk to John Casler first. I don't think it has the same quality preamp circuitry as the DAC either. I remember reading some threads on the Nuprime circle about it.

RolandButcher

« Reply #13 on: 8 Aug 2018, 01:45 am »
Thanks so much - that is great advice

If I remember correctly from the threads about that unit on the Nuprime circle it seems to work fine as a two channel device it was the multi-channel section that was screwed up.  If I was you I would go back and read the threads though.  Your safest and best sounding bet is still going to be the DAC-10.  I also own one of the STA-200's and with it's really low input sensitivity it demands a quiet and quality preamp section to get the best out of it as did the Job 225.  Contact John Casler and see if you can work something out on one and ask him about the HD-AVP.  I've had my DAC-10/ST-10 combo for over two years and no desire to change them in that system. 

It appears if both of the HT based products they released have turned out to be less than smart moves so they are just trying to clear the shelves.  In the end trying to save a few dollars instead of going with one of your two original choices could be a costly mistake.  I have heard the Stellar product but there are a large number of happy DAC-10 users on the forum.

JackD

« Reply #14 on: 8 Aug 2018, 02:25 am »
I don't think you would be disappointed with the DAC-10 in any way.  Another great match for the STA-200 though no DAC is the Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE. 

boisty

« Reply #15 on: 8 Aug 2018, 03:26 am »
Wyred4Sound and Bel Canto both have models which meet your criteria on the used market.

envydd

« Reply #16 on: 8 Aug 2018, 05:16 am »
I have the AVA which is a AVP + 200W IDA16 module (now on sale for 1049) and I bought mine from John (he is a nice to interact with). There are 2 DACs in the system. If you are using it as a pure 2ch device, it will work like a DAC10 + IDA16 amp (which is how I use it - never connected it to a TV). Its not clear if the SPDIF inputs go via the DAC10 module or the other DSP DAC but they sound amazing with my LS50 monitors. I also feed my Oppo 203 analog out to the AVA.  Given how much topping DX7s costs retail, I would buy a AVP if I did not need a headphone amp. I think the AVA is a better deal overall.

OK, here is an intriguing option for you NuPrime folks - they currently have on clearance sale the NuPrime HD-AVP ($645, down from $2,250).  They describe it as "an excellent all-in-one product equivalent to “AVP + Media Server + DAC-10 USB DAC”

They call it an "all-digital HT preamp/processor delivers ultra-high resolution USB audio decoding at PCM 384K or DSD256, 24bit/192kHz digital audio, hard-disk media playback, wireless streaming and superb 4K HD video. With six HDMI, two optical, two coaxial, four stereo analog, one USB Audio and three USB Host (for hard drive) inputs. A built-in WiFi network supports Airplay, DLNA and Miracast." 

https://nuoem.com/store/sales-promotion/nuprime-hd-avp/

Seems like a crazy good deal.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #17 on: 8 Aug 2018, 12:22 pm »

gab

not too shabby!

+1

Another option that gets you solidly into the prosumer arena for $1100 is the very well respected RME ADI-2 DAC, that measures slightly better than the Topping DX7s.  Instead of single-ended/XLR headphones outputs you get 1/4 inch and 6.53 mm (IEM) single-ended headphone outputs, a range of speaker outputs levels, plus a variety of DSP features (remote included).

charmerci

« Reply #18 on: 9 Aug 2018, 01:35 am »
I have the AVA which is a AVP + 200W IDA16 module (now on sale for 1049) and I bought mine from John (he is a nice to interact with). There are 2 DACs in the system. If you are using it as a pure 2ch device, it will work like a DAC10 + IDA16 amp (which is how I use it - never connected it to a TV). Its not clear if the SPDIF inputs go via the DAC10 module or the other DSP DAC but they sound amazing with my LS50 monitors. I also feed my Oppo 203 analog out to the AVA.  Given how much topping DX7s costs retail, I would buy a AVP if I did not need a headphone amp. I think the AVA is a better deal overall.

I often get confused with NuPrime's AVA with AVA - Audio by Van Alstine.