See what the newbie can do

corwin99

« Reply #20 on: 27 Jan 2005, 05:56 pm »
Just so you know, i also had the receiver turned off when i was powering the speakers with the Amp.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #21 on: 31 Jan 2005, 02:07 am »
Yes, I should be using a powered sub (since the manual states that it expects a powered sub), but I don't have one. I would think that some sort of signal should be coming out of the sub jack and that it should have enough power to overcome the resistance of the speaker cable. So l I kind of expected to hear something faint come from the sub.

I don't think there will be any signs of life this way. There is no "power" coming from the RCA output, just signal. Think of it as a preamp output feeding and external amp (the subwoofer amp) as that is all it is. Since it is a passive sub, you may want to hook your speaker cables to the speaker level inputs and then your speakers to the speaker outputs on the back of the sub. It should have a crossover built in with both high and low pass filters. This would also take some burden off the main speakers as the frequencies below the x-over point would not be entering the main speakers.
 Another option would be to use another amp to power the sub using the sub out on the back of yours.

MonkeyK

« Reply #22 on: 5 Feb 2005, 07:06 pm »
Speakers:

I almost got derailed from my process.  Response Audio is clearing out their Usher V series speaker and it seemed like too good a deal to pass up.  With the great reviews and recommendations for the Usher S520, the V series in the same class would have to be a great deal.  All that I would need to do is find someone who could tell me that they are good speakers and I would have speakers for my system.
So I looked on the web for any reviews.  Nothing.  
I sent Carlman a PM asking if he knew how the V series compared to the S520.  He did not.  He also made some comments to the effect that even if he did, it might not matter to me.  Since I don't know what I need in a speaker yet, or even what kinds of characteristics I like, it is difficult to name a similar speaker.  

Up to now I have been thinking in terms of speakers of critical acclaim for low price, however Carlman convinced me to think differently.  I need to audition some speakers to get an idea of what I want.  He gave me a few tips too:
-Bring a CD of familiar music so you can more easily identify differences
-Stay objective.  Don't worry too much about what the salesman says,
-Have fun.  You are getting to try out a bunch of expensive toys for free

I contacted two well regarded local HiFi shops (Audio Perfection and HiFi Sounds, both in Minneapolis).  One of them is a Magnepan reseller (though Magnepan is a local outfit), the other carries Monitor Audio, both of which I plan to listen too.  They said to come by any time, and just bring a CD, no need to bring my reciever.

Anyone else have any other advice on auditioning speakers?
-Should I only listen to speakers in my price range?
-Should I come back a with my reciever after narrowing the field of choices?
-Are there types of music or characteristics help reveal speaker capabilities?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #23 on: 5 Feb 2005, 07:15 pm »
Anyone else have any other advice on auditioning speakers?
-Should I only listen to speakers in my price range?
-

No, I would listen to various speakers in different price ranges. In many cases you may find that the speakers that are in your price range are not far, sonically, from the ones that are not. It will also give you a good idea of how much difference there can be between speakers.

Should I come back a with my reciever after narrowing the field of choices?
-

If possible, it is best to take a pair home with you to try in your system and enviroment. This is the only true test

Are there types of music or characteristics help reveal speaker capabilities?

I highly recommend bringing music you normally listen to. You can also bring along some different types of music to let you know the versitility of the speakers but bringing your music with you will give you the best indication. You will have people telling you what the music should sound like. This is fine and will help educate you in terms of advancing your listening skills.
 In the end, built your system for yourself, not the critics. You are the one who will be listening to it.

WEEZ

« Reply #24 on: 5 Feb 2005, 11:05 pm »
Bill is absolutely correct. Listen to various speakers with your favorite music- recordings you know well. Also agree, home trials are best- but not always possible.

Two of the most difficult instruments to get "right" are solo piano, and female voice. Try to audition speakers with those two things also if you can.

WEEZ

MonkeyK

« Reply #25 on: 5 Feb 2005, 11:37 pm »
Thanks, these are helpful responses.  
Solo Piano
Female voice
Listen to speakers even out of the price range to get an idea of the trade offs (if any).

I house full of flu victims kept me from the audio store today.  I will be going next weekend.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #26 on: 6 Feb 2005, 02:41 am »
You've been given some excellent advice from both Carl and Bill. I might add....do you have any friends whose speakers you might borrow to give a listen to in your own system ? The more you hear, the more you'll know what "sound" your looking for....good luck !!! :wink:

MonkeyK

« Reply #27 on: 25 Mar 2005, 02:35 pm »
OK, I've run into some trouble.

1)I'm buying a new house, so all speaker research is on hold until I know where they go and until I have enough time to do the auditioning (If I spread it out too much I figure that I won't remember what an earlier speaker sounded like)

2)My wife does not like the interface on the JVC RX-F10.  She has given it a fair try, but seems to be unable to get used to it.  I thought that with use, she would easily be able to map TV-CD, DVD-MP3, I guess I was wrong.  But I do have to agree with her that radio tuning is kind of a pain and the Multi-select dial on the reciever can be spun past the selection.

The upshot is that I have no news to report on the speaker front and need to replace the reciever.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a reciever that is easier to use than the RX-F10?
By easier to use I would mean
-Can directly select source
-Has sources labeled, or that can be relabled for CD, MP3/Aux
-Has a tuner with direct access to presets and a remote that does not hide the presets.

Do the new generation of JVC players improve on this stuff at all?  I could really see myself getting into a wall mounted tablet PC with digatal out as the interface from my music collection.

MonkeyK

« Reply #28 on: 18 May 2005, 04:19 pm »
I'm back.  We move tomorrow, and the wife reset my $1000 limit for the new system.

The JVC RX-F10 will move to the basement for HT duty.  There DVD will mean DVD, TV will mean TV, and the confusing Tuner controls will not be very important.  It will be underutilized, just driving a set of Logitech Z-560 computer satelite speakers and no subwoofer, but some day that will change.

Despite better advice, I picked up a pair of Nola Minis without listening to them for $295 (because they were demo speakers and still labeled Alon Li'l Rascal MkII).  These should be arriving this week. Sometime next week (or whenever the wife says we're moved in) I'll run some comparisons against my Cerwin Vegas.

Now I have $700 to spend on the rest.  I think this amounts to either a receiver or a receiver and a subwoofer.
I was planning on spending ~$600 on speakers.  while the Minis only cost $300 they have a frequency range of 55Hz-20kHz which I can probably live with, but it would be nice to go a little lower.

So, is it better to spend more on the receiver or would I be better served with a cheaper receiver and a subwoofer?

The reciever has to be easy to use and provide inputs for my CD player and mp3 client.
Right now I am thinking about the NAD C720BEE and the Cambridge Audio Azur 540R.  
The Panasonic digital receivers also look like they would make sense to my wife.  Based on the manual, I like the SA-XR55 in particular.

For subwoofers, I have no idea what to look for.  I know that I don't need earth shaking power.  This system will be used for music only, so I want to find something fast and accurate.

MonkeyK

« Reply #29 on: 3 Jun 2005, 11:02 pm »
Woohoo!  
The Nola Minis sound great.  Whether sitting in the path where the two speakers meet, or well outside, everything just sounds more clean.

Both the wife and I have spontaneously commented that the new speakers sound nice.  

I still plan to run a comparison of them to the old Cerwin Vegas, but I just wanted to post that the Minis have definitely found a home.

MonkeyK

« Reply #30 on: 26 Apr 2006, 05:26 pm »
It has been a long time since I updated this.  Things started to work nicely, and I got complacent.

Since my last post, I picked up a subwoofer, an HSU VTF-2.  This adds just the right amount of oopf to the Mini's and I like the sound a lot.

My dad also remarried recently and his new wife does not approve of his old DCM Time Windows, so I have those at home as well.  I need to refinish the tops and get a new grill cloth for them though.

I did an A/B comparisson with my wife between the Time Windows and the Mini/VTF-2. The Mini/VTF-2 sounds a lot clearer to my ears, but my wife says that she prefers the sound from the Time Windows.  She says that they sound warmer.
In any case the Time Windows won't really do for home theater, so the Mini/VTF-2 combo will be going there (wich is too bad because they are better for music as well)  The Time Windows will probably provide better sound as I move around the house, just not in the all out listening position (wich is pretty rare with a one and three year old --who wants to really *listen* to Sesame Steet anyway).