Modwright KWI 200 Hybrid-- A Pipe Dream?

Afterimage

Re: Modwright KWI 200 Hybrid-- A Pipe Dream?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Aug 2018, 07:36 am »
I realize DAC technology may be moving fast, but wouldn't making a digital input modular make it so you can upgrade it?

modwright

« Reply #21 on: 17 Aug 2018, 08:08 pm »
Yes, it would.  However, I am not a digital engineer and I do not have staff on hand to keep up with the programming and other changes required to keep up with rapidly changing technology.

If we had a design that was largely software driven and I had a programmer/vendor who could update this for me, then it would be a possibility.  If I do have this in the future, then I will consider it.  Until then I will not offer DACs in our integrated amps.

Thanks,

Dan

Joe Frances

« Reply #22 on: 18 Aug 2018, 01:27 am »
A couple of points and one question:  I understand you are going to produce the tube hybrid integrated with the same facia as the KWI 200, is that correct? I love the look of the '200 which is a blend of clean modern and classic style. And knobs, yes, lets have real knobs... Additionally, the clear readout makes it easier to use in the near-darkness when changing sources.

So.....(ahem).......any thought on when?

modwright

« Reply #23 on: 27 Aug 2018, 07:04 pm »
Yes, same face as the KWI 200, knobs, displays, etc.  It works and is well received.

As for time? I am hoping to have a proof of concept piece for RMAF and then I would expect end of the year soonest, for production.

Thanks,

Dan

Joe Frances

« Reply #24 on: 29 Aug 2018, 03:35 am »
Oh, gosh, I may have to go to Rocky Mountain.....

Thanks, Dan.

MHL

« Reply #25 on: 29 Aug 2018, 12:05 pm »
I will be attending this years RMAF (my first time).  Looking forward to meeting you Dan and seeing what you have to offer.

modwright

« Reply #26 on: 29 Aug 2018, 03:24 pm »
I look forward to seeing you all there!

Dan

cheech

« Reply #27 on: 8 Dec 2018, 03:30 am »
Dan, any further information available on this; are you proceeding; available timeline , etc?

modwright

« Reply #28 on: 10 Dec 2018, 03:21 pm »
I am working on it and late Q1 of 2019 is the soonest that I would expect to have it out.

I plan on the following:

• 200W into 8 ohms/ 400W into 4 ohms.
  • Same look/feel (face) as the KWI 200.
  • Totally re-designed internals, all modular and everything improved.
  • SS preamp stage of KWI 200 replaced with all tube preamp stage.
  • Mosfet output stage of KWI 200 replaced with BJT output stage of KWA 150SE.
  • Chassis redesigned to allow much more exposed heat sink area to improve overall cooling and allow for higher operating temperature/bias.
  • Phono stage integral or optional.

Price will be higher than that of the KWI 200, but final price TBD.

Thanks,

Dan

blownrx7

« Reply #29 on: 10 Dec 2018, 03:37 pm »
Can the Modification Master mod his own equipment???
I could be interested in the following for my KWI200:
SS preamp stage of KWI 200 replaced with all tube preamp stage.
Mosfet output stage of KWI 200 replaced with BJT output stage of KWA 150SE.

if it was a step-change improvement.
I'm guessing it may not be since it is not modular but sounds like the new one will be a candidiate for future improvements with the modular construction.

modwright

« Reply #30 on: 10 Dec 2018, 03:55 pm »
I am afraid that this will be a completely different amplifier. It will have the same styling (face) as the KWI 200, but everything else will be different I am afraid. The KWI 200 is built on one main PCB with a separate PCB for the preamp stage.  The new Hybrid integrated will be built from at least eight separate PCBs.

You can however, add a tube preamp to the KWI 200, connecting the tube preamp to the HT/BP inputs of the KWI 200. Many of our customers have done this over time with great results.

Thank you,

Dan W.

Joe Frances

« Reply #31 on: 8 Feb 2019, 05:24 pm »
Dan:

Any idea if the final product on the new integrated will be out by mid-year?  Not trying to rush you, just thinking about my purchasing and planning options.

Thanks,

Joe

modwright

« Reply #32 on: 15 Feb 2019, 04:20 pm »
The new hybrid will debut in April at Axpona 2019 in Chicago.

It will be 200W+ power with a tube preamp section and the same output stage of the KWA 150SE.
It will have the same aesthetics of the KWI 200 in terms of the face plate and knobs, but will be a complete re-design inside.

IMPORTANTLY: This means that it will not be an upgraded KWI 200, but a completely different design. There will be no upgrade path to make the KWI 200 a hybrid.

Pricing is still TBD, but will be higher than for the KWI 200.

I would expect production by mid-year yes.

Thanks,

Dan