I need some advice on how to attempt repair a coffee table. From what I can tell even though the table was not Ikea priced, it is cheaply made.
A guest sat on the left front corner of the table. This caused the following:
1. The bottom drawer frame rail has separated from the leg.
2. The Philips screw that fastened the rail to the leg went through its hole.
3. The bottom drawer frame rail has developed a hairline crack on the front.
4. The rectangular tenon joint on the rail is chewed up.
5. The area where the screw went into the leg is no longer in tact.
When I removed the Phillips screw and disassembled that area, I found a squarish headed screw in the leg that I cannot figure out the purpose of. Based on my limited knowledge, I was going to try to use a mending plate screwed to the front face of the leg and frame rail to hold things together.
What do you think? Is there a better way to attempt a repair? I put a bunch of pictures of the situation in my gallery. Here's one.