Completed 25/55/100 6 channel project for Linkwitz Orions

John H

Larry
« Reply #20 on: 10 Mar 2003, 03:48 pm »
I'm not bi-amping.  Just happened to have a lower voltage transformer available and 25W suited me fine.

Larry

« Reply #21 on: 11 Mar 2003, 01:58 am »
Quote from: Oz_Audio
I have a Rotel R980BX 120 w channel steroe amp.

This Rotel amp costs just hundreds of bucks stock. (BTW, it should be RB980BX.)

Do Hugh a favour and compare AKSAs to something better.

John H

Larry
« Reply #22 on: 11 Mar 2003, 06:30 am »
Quote from: Larry
Quote from: Oz_Audio
I have a Rotel R980BX 120 w channel steroe amp.

This Rotel amp costs just hundreds of bucks stock. (BTW, it should be RB980BX.)

Do Hugh a favour and compare AKSAs to something better.

Larry, please tell me exactly what is wrong with comparing the AKSA to another amp that someone  happens to have?  Not everybody owns  kilobuck equipment and, personally, I'm glad to be not one of them if this was thoroughly outclassed by the "just hundreds of bucks"  AKSA.  However, I was so impressed with the AKSA sonics, that I wrote a "rave" testimonial for  Hugh and this is still on his website.  He didn't seem to mind that this was based on my listening to all sorts of equipment  for 50 years +/- and not on a comparison with particular kilobuck stuff.

AKSA

« Reply #23 on: 11 Mar 2003, 07:08 am »
Folks,

Before we get down and dirty, let me just say that this is my attitude:

1.  Ultra high end is overpriced, and I'm on a crusade to make it affordable.    :banghead:

2.  Consumer snobbery takes many forms, and hifi is worse than most.  So is home theater, for that matter, not to mention autos, jewelry, etc.   :mrgreen:

3.  If someone thinks my products sound good, and comes from an unpretentious listening/equipment background, then I'm very pleased, and if they buy it, then I figure it must have a high price/performance ratio.   To me, this is a design goal.   :o

4.  If someone thinks my products sound good and comes from a kilobuck, ultra high end listening/equipment background, then I'm transported with delight, and if they buy it, I seriously consider I'm too cheap because they are paying five times less!   :thankyou:

5.  Most of all, if my customers like my gear, I'm delighted if they SPREAD THE WORD!!!  I'm never to busy to sell AKSAs, and I'm always trying to seek out new customers.  I have plenty;  I want more.  As I said, this is a crusade.  I'll never get rich, but I'm happy with a crusade.  (Ulp, did someone say 'jihad'??   :mrgreen: )

In closing, John and Larry have taught me plenty, and I doffs me cap to them both.  John is an engineer, experienced, a pragmatist, loves his music, and has a flexible, intuitive grasp of both the designs and the business.  Larry is a brilliant academic, an EE, who loves the technical aspects and has the purist approach.  There's lots of room for both!

Thanks guys!!   :beer:

Hugh

JoshK

« Reply #24 on: 11 Mar 2003, 03:44 pm »
Paul,

Where dya get those sweet looking cases? Par-metal?  I need a source or two for good casing.

Cheers,
Josh

PaulB

« Reply #25 on: 12 Mar 2003, 09:09 am »
Josh,

Purchased case and separate front panel (for better cosmetics) from Jaycar in Sydney.

case http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HB5125&CATID=&keywords=case&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=xxxxxxxxxx&Keyword2=xxxxxxxxxx&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

panel http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HB5401&CATID=&keywords=front&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=xxxxxxxxxx&Keyword2=xxxxxxxxxx&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

This case is very easy to assemble and prefect for the 55watt model. The 100w model was more problematic as I didn't wish to mount the heat sinks externally which required drilling vent holes in the top and bottom cover.

hope this helps, I can provide more info when you build.

Cylon

« Reply #26 on: 12 Mar 2003, 09:49 pm »
Paul,
glad to see you liked the AKSA enough to take the plunge. And a pretty good job you've done of them as well! I'm about to start drilling holde myself in a better case than the one I was planning on using so it still aint a polished completed task, although gets a bit of a thrashing.

As for the 10 yo Kef's the right channel has developed a slight rasp at certain frequencies (mostly with spoken male audio) so i've started building a pair of speakers to replace them, using Hiquphon tweeters and Audax mids and bass units. Silly me decided to build cabinets with CURVED sides so this is gonna take a while, expecially singc the only real workspace I have is the lounge, an advantage of not having a wife is being able to cover the place with drop cloths....

Shayne

ray_jay

Re: Completed 25/55/100 6 channel project for Linkwitz Orion
« Reply #27 on: 8 Apr 2003, 11:20 am »
Quote from: PaulB
This project started as a speaker project (Linkwitz Orions) but transformed into something a bit larger.

Don't they always <large grin> !,

I've just joined this board, so hi to all , I'm Ray ( obviously ) , residing in Vic,  Australia.

Paul,
where did you source your crossover electronic components from, I've been musing about the Orions but can't seem to find the Panasonic polyprops for the project anywhere in Aust. ( all the usual suspects, Farnell, RS etc, ), also issues with some other components.
I could source them out of the U.S but was wondering  was there anywhere is Aust. ?.

I am,  as you have ( or were <g> )  debating about amplification,
I'd sort of settled on, as an initial pass, lm3886's(shock) as per SL's site for the top/mids ( assuming I *actually* do this! ) and my current ME550-II for the bottom end.

I has looked at 55w Aksa's but the grand total of dollars for orion/4xAksa was starting to look a little dauting for this year <g>.

I do agree that the the side profile of the Orions could reduce the SAF<smile>

cheers,
Ray

ray_jay

Sorry...last post should probably been prefixed with OT:
« Reply #28 on: 8 Apr 2003, 12:03 pm »
Not sure how flexible the board is yet ....but I *should* have put OT: at the front of the last message as it wasn't *really* talking about Aksas as the main topic.

sorry if I've broken any protocols on my first post,

cheers,
Ray.

PaulB

« Reply #29 on: 9 Apr 2003, 03:21 am »
Ray,

went to Digikey in US after experiencing the same problems with local suppliers and SL's US supplier specific parts list. If you use Digikey make sure they send it US Mail NOT FedEx to avoid punitive customs fees when entering Oz.

BTW. The AKSA's transform the Orions from being an excellent Hi-Fi speaker to something absolutely brilliant.

I will post a few pics of the Orions in the next cpiple of days.

good luck.

SamL

« Reply #30 on: 9 Apr 2003, 04:47 am »
Paul,

Is yours Orian 100% SL or you did the crossover base on his Phoenix design?

Sam

andyr

Re: Completed 25/55/100 6 channel project for Linkwitz Orion
« Reply #31 on: 9 Apr 2003, 09:15 am »
Quote from: PaulB
This project started as a speaker project (Linkwitz Orions) but transformed into something a bit larger.

I have posted a few pics on site also.

Hi Paul,

Can you give me a URL for more info on the Linkwitz Orions?

Thanks,

Andy

BTW, I built a pair of 3-way AKSAs last year: 100w/55w/25w.  These are powering my Maggie IIIas with a Rod Elliott active crossover and I am revelling in the sound (wallowing in it like a pig in ..... as the saying goes, ya might say!)

ray_jay

« Reply #32 on: 9 Apr 2003, 10:53 am »
Thanks Paul,
I will probably do the same thing, ( Digi-Key)
tried to keep to business here but you can only try so hard <smile>.
A call to Panasonic Aust resulted in 5 different phone calls to several companies and a result of " we don't stock those mate but we could order them in"., unfortunately hardly inspiring ....
cheers
Ray

PaulB

« Reply #33 on: 9 Apr 2003, 10:54 am »
look at www.linkwitzlab.com

anyone interested in the Orions I suggest you email me using my Audiocircle profile rather than post the the AKSA forum.

by the way the Orions sound very good with any amp but awesome with the AKSA's. Do not believe this stuff on the net that the Orions remove the need for a good amp. The problem is finding a good (great) 6 or 8 channel amp at a resonable price, Hugh's designs do sound great and are affordable.

PaulB

Orion pics
« Reply #34 on: 25 Apr 2003, 11:01 am »
for those interested in the Orions here are a few pictures of mine (still need to apply wood finish...)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=56http://

Rocket

orions
« Reply #35 on: 25 Apr 2003, 01:37 pm »
hello paul,

can you please provide me with a web address for the orions.

btw war audio in perth make great sounding speakers as well, here is a photo of mine.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=37

http://warco.com.au

regards

rocket