LIO current

Roxy

LIO current
« on: 13 May 2018, 02:54 am »
I have a pair of Dynaudio speakers with 86 db sensitivity. I have been reviewing the forum and it sounds as if I am on the edge of not having enough power with the LIO. It sounds like the unit puts our considerable current and may work. Does anyone have any direct experience with this match. Other thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Bloodsplint

Re: LIO current
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2018, 07:32 pm »
I used the Dyn Focus 340 (87dB) with my LIO for about a year in my ~11'x13' room and never felt I was lacking. The Harbeth Super HL5+ which regularly appears with the LIO is also 86dB (6ohm, no nasty impedance swings).

Roxy

« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2018, 10:59 pm »
Great news, thank you very much.

Vinnie R.

• Facilitator
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2018, 01:27 am »
Hi Roxy,

This topic comes up from time to time.

It really depends on how loud you play your music, how close you sit to the speakers,
the sensitivity of your speakers (and even your room acoustics).

LIO will drive most speakers very well within reason, but for those who want high SPLs, you either need to sit closer
and/or use higher efficiency speakers.

As Bloodsplint mentioned, I've used Harbeth at shows (including the 83.5dB P3ESR) and in the standard hotel room size, LIO does a fine
job driving them.

Over the years, I have heard from many customers who found LIO to sound like it has more power than its RMS power suggests. 
You might want to try it - and you can always turn the amp module and keep LIO as a Preamp (with dac, phonostage, headphone amp, etc.)

Hope this helps!

Vinnie

Roxy

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2018, 12:08 pm »
It does help and again thanks to everyone for your quick answers and thoughtful responses.