Login problem

Steve

Login problem
« on: 6 May 2018, 01:32 am »
I have a problem as well. When I attempt to check in, my password is not good, so I have an email sent to re enter my password.

I enter my new password, and I am logged in. All is ok. I can log out.

Next time I return to AC, I log in and can't. So I have an email sent to me so I can save the password again. Then I can log in ok.

Next day, I attempt to log in and my password fails again. So I have an email sent to me and this time I enter the password. Then I can log in ok.

This happens every day. Thought you would want to know, must be a bug in the system yet.

Cheers

steve

richidoo

Re: Login problem
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2018, 01:56 am »
Are you using your browser's password management to autofill your password for the login?

If so, delete the stored passwords for AC, then login and let browser save the new password for future autofill.

Better yet, write down on paper the new password you create, so you know for sure you're typing it in correctly. Then attempt to log in with it a couple times, manually typing in the password each time to see if you can login and out a few times manually.

If the problem persists please report back as we want to know if this is a server side issue, after potential issues on your end are ruled out.
Thanks!
Rich

Steve

« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2018, 04:36 am »
Are you using your browser's password management to autofill your password for the login?

If so, delete the stored passwords for AC, then login and let browser save the new password for future autofill.

Better yet, write down on paper the new password you create, so you know for sure you're typing it in correctly. Then attempt to log in with it a couple times, manually typing in the password each time to see if you can login and out a few times manually.

If the problem persists please report back as we want to know if this is a server side issue, after potential issues on your end are ruled out.
Thanks!
Rich

Password management is not checked, so off. I enter the password each time. History is deleted, and I use glary to rid of passwords.

I tried to enter AC and I had to have an email sent to me again, and so I just entered my same old passord, and got back in a few minutes ago. So it appears my password is not being saved as it is suppose to be. I hope this information helps in finding the problem?

Cheers   

Steve

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2018, 01:39 pm »
I enter the password each time.

OK thanks.

I tried to enter AC and I had to have an email sent to me again, and so I just entered my same old passord, and got back in a few minutes ago. So it appears my password is not being saved as it is suppose to be. I hope this information helps in finding the problem?

That sounds to me like your old password is now working, where it wasn't working before?

And you suspect that the server's password help function might be broken in some way?

I will play with it and see what happens. Thanks

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2018, 02:33 pm »
I verified that the "Forgot your password" function does work correctly. You enter your registered email address or username and it sends an email to your registered email account containing a link that brings you to a webpage that allows you to change the account password. Then the server remembered the new password and allowed me to login several times. Then I changed it back again using same procedure.

Steve

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2018, 05:13 pm »
I verified that the "Forgot your password" function does work correctly. You enter your registered email address or username and it sends an email to your registered email account containing a link that brings you to a webpage that allows you to change the account password. Then the server remembered the new password and allowed me to login several times. Then I changed it back again using same procedure.

I just attempted to check in and my normal/usual password was not good again. So I just had an email sent to me and reentered my same usual password and it took it and said it saved it. I just manually logged in ok now. I am now doing to go ahead and log out and see if I can log in.

I have "never remember history", tracking protection checked "always", "block pop ups" checked, "block dangerous and deceptive content" checked, "remember loggins and passwords" Not checked, "autofill addresses" Not checked.

cheers

steve

ps.  I just logged out, used Glary to rid my computer of history etc, opened AC and needed to log back in. I tried to log back in but did not work. I then had an email sent to me, re entered my usual password and it says successfully saved, and logged back in.

Maybe I should add my password to browser and see if that works, and stop manually entering it.

pss. I added password to my browser and log in still does not work. I am using 8 letters/numbers in my password. Anything I need to know about passwords, like capitols, symbols, number of characters?

cheers and thanks Rich.

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2018, 06:56 pm »
AC server login functions seem to be working OK, nobody else having problems.

It sounds like your browser is not sending the correct password, or sending a blank. Try F5 refresh on the login screen before entering your password. If you have another browser installed you could see if it behaves better.

If you also delete cookies you might try setting an exception for AC cookies. I can't remember the reason why, but I do have exceptions for deleting cookies on my forums. But I don't think it is related to login.

Steve

« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2018, 12:34 am »
AC server login functions seem to be working OK, nobody else having problems.

It sounds like your browser is not sending the correct password, or sending a blank. Try F5 refresh on the login screen before entering your password. If you have another browser installed you could see if it behaves better.

If you also delete cookies you might try setting an exception for AC cookies. I can't remember the reason why, but I do have exceptions for deleting cookies on my forums. But I don't think it is related to login.

Hi Rich,

I opened Internet Explorer and could not manually log in. Cleaned computer using Glary and Ccleaner. Then I followed your advice in Firefox; went to login and attempted to log in. No go. So I cleaned all again and went to login and refreshed it before entering password, then I logged right in. Interesting.

Cheers and thanks Rich. Any additional info, like what you think is going on is much appreciated.

Steve

richidoo

« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2018, 02:12 am »
Interesting that the refresh helped... Not sure it's a permanent fix tho.

It's either cached file problem, in which case the F5 would fix it permanently. But it happens on both browsers each with different cache, so I think that's not the real problem.

Since both browsers fail to connect to AC then it could be a DNS problem. With bad DNS the browser will revert to cached files, if available. Not sure how that all adds up to explain your symptom set. But it's worth a shot.

If it happens again, try changing your computer's network DNS settings to use Google DNS as an experiment. How to. If that works, you can change your router's DHCP DNS settings to use Google DNS so other computers on your LAN will benefit also. You can always undo your changes without harm. It's probably set to get DNS automatically from ISP.

Steve

« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2018, 03:44 am »
Interesting that the refresh helped... Not sure it's a permanent fix tho.

It's either cached file problem, in which case the F5 would fix it permanently. But it happens on both browsers each with different cache, so I think that's not the real problem.

Since both browsers fail to connect to AC then it could be a DNS problem. With bad DNS the browser will revert to cached files, if available. Not sure how that all adds up to explain your symptom set. But it's worth a shot.

If it happens again, try changing your computer's network DNS settings to use Google DNS as an experiment. How to. If that works, you can change your router's DHCP DNS settings to use Google DNS so other computers on your LAN will benefit also. You can always undo your changes without harm. It's probably set to get DNS automatically from ISP.

Today everything is working fine.

Cheers and thanks for your time and help Rich.

steve