Announcing the new AVA Ultimate 70 Vacuum Tube Amplifier

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #20 on: 11 Apr 2005, 02:04 am »
Quote from: avahifi
...I could build the amplifier with all 20 percent tolerence carbon comp resistors, but it would be very very very expensive, as I would have to sort through thousands of parts to find ones that were both quiet and within 1 percent of the needed values...

i dunno - i have heard positive changes w/different parts.  not always, but sometimes.  perhaps the circuit sucked.   :wink:   re: carbon resistors, why not use riken ohms?  these are 1% & made a noticable improvement in my art di/o dac, when i replaced the 1% holcos i prewiously had installed.  (and, the holco's were a big improvement over the stock crap.)

doug s.

avahifi

How does it sound?
« Reply #21 on: 11 Apr 2005, 12:09 pm »
Refer back to Gvt911's evaluation on the first page of this thread.  I have had this same reaction from every single U70 customer so far, although most of them are not web posters.

Regarding a "professional" review, I have offered the amp to one publication and have been ignored, and the Milwaukee audio group has not responded either.

Hey guys, for half the price of a set of interconnects and magic power cord you too can finally have the sound you are searching for.

Geeze.

Frank Van Alstine

audiojerry

« Reply #22 on: 11 Apr 2005, 12:50 pm »
the Milwaukee audio group has not responded either.

Frank, did generously offer to demo his gear for the Milwaukee group, but unfortunately, personal issues within the group from a previous demo forced future demo's to be cancelled.

Frank, is there any chance you'd be willing to send the demo to a few AC members who'd be willing to post a review?

skrivis

Re: sorry to trouble you
« Reply #23 on: 11 Apr 2005, 02:51 pm »
Quote from: beatgr
Frank -

The query was concerning a ST-70 restoration that I am assisting my brother with (remotely).  Modern capacitors continue to decrease in size and change lead spacing - fine for new deisgns - but for repairs (when the requriement is Smithsonian restoration) - "no an orange cap will NOT do" - takes much more time / research.  So in this case a capacitor brand CAN make a difference.

I have 2 broadcast mixing consoles of this same era that use radial paper capacitors on phenolic PC boards  - trying ...

Well, if you're going for a "Smithsonian restoration" of an ST-70, then why ask about the parts AVA uses?

If you're trying to restore an older Super 70, then knowing what the Ultimate 70 uses might not do you much good.

I guess I also wonder what was done to this Super 70 that the film caps have to be replaced. :)

For your mixing console, you can always extend the lead and then shrinkwrap the whole thing...

skrivis

« Reply #24 on: 11 Apr 2005, 03:03 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
quote-
they dont realise one must be content with what they have and enjoy instead of thinking i'm one part away from making this the best(insert equipment)in the world-thats why modded pieces are so popular right now-

Oh, I don't know. There's room for all kinds. If hand-wound silk-wrapped power cables make someone happy, then more power to them.

I'd suggest that there are far more cost-effective ways to spend their money, but it's their money...

Some things I draw the line at, like some bonehead who's selling "nude" attentuators that hang off the input jacks of your amp for those with more money than sense.

And if Frank isn't getting through to you, Rod Elliott's web site has some pretty good info too. http://sound.westhost.com/articles.htm

Charles Calkins

« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2005, 06:34 pm »
The U70 is going to sound amazing on your 801s but only at modest levels (it is after all just 30W+ per channel).  Now a pair of them bridged would be a different story.

Frank Van Alstine

Frank:
  I assume that when you say bridged you mean running the amps in mono. If so how much power would the U70 amps put out. Do you think they would be able to drive a pair of Von Schweikert audio VR-4 GenIII HSE loudspeakers? I've been thinking about going to a tube system but I'm kind of leery about the low output of most tube amps.

Cheers
                                    Charlie

EMM801

« Reply #26 on: 15 May 2005, 06:54 pm »
Frank, did generously offer to demo his gear for the Milwaukee group, but unfortunately, personal issues within the group from a previous demo forced future demo's to be cancelled.

'Nuff said :roll:

randog

« Reply #27 on: 16 May 2005, 12:32 am »
Hey emm801, howz about getting a few posts under your belt before starting up flame wars, eh? Unlike a lot of forums out there, this one is usually pretty polite.

Randog

EMM801

« Reply #28 on: 16 May 2005, 02:26 am »
I did not mean to start a flame war. I just found certain comments quite rude, like the "I'm used to companies that go the extra mile" putdown. I apologize to anyone offended my what may have been an overreaction on my part.

randog

« Reply #29 on: 16 May 2005, 03:01 am »
No problemo.

Based on just about everything I've read penned by Frank, he has the skin of a Rhino and although it's nice for a manufacturer to have a loyal following, I'm willing to bet he doesn't need anyone stepping up to the plate for him in his own forum... especially when he is already active in the conversation. It's all part of his charm...  :D

Now the comments about the quality of his goods and the integrity of his business is something I'm sure he never tires of hearing and is worth its weight in gold to potential customers (like myself) and is much appreciated. Thanks.  8)

Randog

guest1632

Re: Announcing the new AVA Ultimate 70 Vacuum Tube Amplifier
« Reply #30 on: 21 May 2005, 02:04 pm »
Our Super 70i circuit for the Dyna St-70 chassis has been a tube classic for the last twenty years, but the time has finally come to welcome the next-generation classic: The Audio by Van Alstine Ultimate 70 Amplifier.

If you love vacuum tube sound, you likely will love the Ultimate 70 more than any other tube amp you have ever heard, price not an object. It is just simply lovely sounding. It takes every last bit of grain away from your records and CDs, but takes nothing else away at all. The highs just f ...

Hi Frank, So do you have these as kits, you supply the original amp, or are these redesigned from the chassis up with newer transformers and such. Sounds pretty nice.

Ray Bronk

avahifi

« Reply #31 on: 21 May 2005, 06:00 pm »
The Ultimate 70 is a new mother board kit for your St-70 amplifier.  We do not have complete units available at this time.

guest1632

« Reply #32 on: 21 May 2005, 08:12 pm »
The Ultimate 70 is a new mother board kit for your St-70 amplifier.  We do not have complete units available at this time.

Ok, thanks. was looking on the site, and on your FET valve amps, what tube(s) are you using? Thanks.

Ray

WEEZ

« Reply #33 on: 21 May 2005, 10:40 pm »
I could be mistaken, but I believe the FET/Valve amps use a 12AT7 in each channel.

They are a horse of a different color from the EL-34 based Ulitmate 70.

Speaking of horses, congrats to Afleet Alex and owners & riders for winning the Preakness.  :|

WEEZ

guest1632

« Reply #34 on: 22 May 2005, 01:00 am »
Quote from: WEEZ
I could be mistaken, but I believe the FET/Valve amps use a 12AT7 in each channel.

They are a horse of a different color from the EL-34 based Ulitmate 70.

Speaking of horses, congrats to Afleet Alex and owners & riders for winning the Preakness.  :|

WEEZ

Hey wees, Yeah, I thought those were in the pre, did not know he was using them in the amps too. Interesting.

Ray

WEEZ

« Reply #35 on: 22 May 2005, 01:07 am »
Used as the output driver, it appears.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #36 on: 2 Jun 2005, 03:37 pm »
not sure if this is the same amp as the ultimate 70, but the auction states it has ava mods:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50593&item=5779207162&rd=1

doug s.

avahifi_lj

« Reply #37 on: 2 Jun 2005, 04:16 pm »
Hi:

The 70 pictured is not the U70 (or even the older 70i).  It appears that the amp has some significant changes from the stock Dyna design, but who knows what they are.  It looks like the rectifier tube is out of circuit and only installed in the socket to make it look stock.  I also see numerous other parts added.

It may be possible that the amp has some of the circuit changes outlined in Audio Basics, however.  Maybe that is what the seller means by "Van Alstine Mod."

Larry

jackman

« Reply #38 on: 3 Jun 2005, 01:52 am »
Hey Larry!  Haven't seen any posts from you in a while.  It's good to see that you are doing well and still working with Frank and Company.  Best of luck!  That new amp upgrade sounds great.

Jack

Flyquail56

« Reply #39 on: 3 Jun 2005, 03:43 am »
Hi gang,
Just joined after lurking and enjoying the posts for a while. Wanted to comment on the ST-70 pictured. It has a Sound Values/Sound Valves board which of course uses the 6GH8A, but beyond that has nothing to do with any AVA mods AFAIK. I do seem to remember though that Sound Values *borrowed* the idea from Frank to begin with, just forgot to use the input filter and the correct coupling cap values among other things  :?

It also looks like this particular amp has been modified to cathode bias and, like Larry said, who knows what else.

By way of further introduction, I have been using Dyna tubes for about 25 years, and with AVA mods for the last 10 or so of those years. Tried many other mods during that time, but am sticking with AVA.  Frank's information and products have always been above reproach. After reading the posts here for the past several weeks, I'm trying to decide how to rationalize ordering an Ultimate 70 kit!

Best regards,
Mike