Free measuring and testing services

fdjslkgh

Re: Free measuring and testing services
« Reply #20 on: 5 Apr 2018, 02:03 pm »
Danny, I've got a pair of Acoustic Research AR M1s (the $300 speakers that Mark Levinson used to use to demonstrate his Cello electronics) that have a simple first-order (cap and resistor) crossover on the tweeter and nothing on the woofer. With your help, I've already upgraded the cap to a Sonicap, do you think there's any value in going further with these? I'm not averse to shipping them to you, and they were generally regarded as punching above their weight class, but I don't know how quickly you think we'd run into diminishing returns.

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #21 on: 6 Apr 2018, 07:48 pm »
Danny, I've got a pair of Acoustic Research AR M1s (the $300 speakers that Mark Levinson used to use to demonstrate his Cello electronics) that have a simple first-order (cap and resistor) crossover on the tweeter and nothing on the woofer. With your help, I've already upgraded the cap to a Sonicap, do you think there's any value in going further with these? I'm not averse to shipping them to you, and they were generally regarded as punching above their weight class, but I don't know how quickly you think we'd run into diminishing returns.

I have no doubt that I can do a lot with them and take them up a level or two in performance. With shipping each way plus crossover parts you'd spend $250 to $300 pretty easily.

You're call...

fdjslkgh

« Reply #22 on: 9 Apr 2018, 04:55 pm »
I need to replace the dustcaps, as they seem to have degraded over time, and then I'll give them another listen and make a decision. There are so few sealed 2 way designs out there that I'm somewhat inclined to really blow these out of the water and have something truly unique. Since I bought them for $30 off Craigslist it would't be the end of the world to pay $300 total for something really special-sounding.

danvprod

« Reply #23 on: 24 Apr 2018, 09:17 pm »
These ones would be fun to have your services performance on. Plus they are already wired to have an external crossover; a tweaker's dream.

Tweeter is scan-speak D2008/8512-00 3/4" Textile Dome and woofer is 5 1/2" Vifa woofer. TL enclosure tuned to ~35 Hz or so.