I have 2-Mk subs,one in the front and the other in the back

etap

My room size is 13x22x8 and right now one is in the front left side of the room while the other sub is in the back right corner of the room.My question is should I have both in the front lleft and right or hook one up with the center channel. All my other speakers are BW 603 floor standing speakers.THX

Charles Calkins

« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2005, 11:59 pm »
etap:
  I ran two M&K subs in a two channel system for years. Pretty hard to beat aren't they? I would not hook a sub up to the center channel because it would overcome the vocal reproduction which is what the center channel was designed to do. Try this. Unhook all the other speakers in your system except the center channel and you will see what I mean.

Cheers and a happy new year
                                          Charlie

John Casler

Re: I have 2-Mk subs,one in the front and the other in the b
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2005, 12:10 am »
Quote from: etap
My room size is 13x22x8 and right now one is in the front left side of the room while the other sub is in the back right corner of the room.My question is should I have both in the front lleft and right or hook one up with the center channel. All my other speakers are BW 603 floor standing speakers.THX

Etap,

Unless your rear sub is coming from a "rear sub specific" output, you might want to try running it "anti-phase".  That is "reversing" the phase so that as the front sub "pushes" as the rear sub is "pulling" and vice versa.

(that is if your not already doing so)

This seems to move more air in the center of the room.

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2005, 02:36 am »
I've got a pair of M&K's now. They're stacked in the corner. Which is almost exactly like a setup I've experienced that M&K tuned (and it's a setup which they feel to be one of the best in the country, if not the best).

Granted they ended up with 3 MX-5000's stacked in the front, and 2 MX-700's in the rear. Which is a little bit more sub than I'm running... :lol:

Anyway, they started with 5 MX-5000's in the front. But found that the 3 5000's in the front & 2 700's in the rear worked better. And they've reccomended stacking your subs if you've got a pair of them. It certainly makes it easier to level match the 2 subs with each other, then the 2 together with the rest of your speaks. Not to mention there's less of a chance of them cancelling the other out in some manner if they're stacked.

So try stacking your subs. Try it in the front, try it in the rear. Try it wherever you can place them. Just stack 'em while you're trying out placements...

bubba966

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2005, 02:41 am »
Oh, forgot to add to try firing them into/towards the wall. :oops:

I tried that after seeing it done by M&K in the setup I described above. I got a lot better results by firing my subs into the wall.

etap

THX alot everyones help,I've got some experimenting to do.
« Reply #5 on: 3 Jan 2005, 03:01 am »
Right now I'll try having one in phase and one out of phase,than stacking them while watching I-Robot.THX AGAIN