Getting the Odyssey Bug

Sound

Getting the Odyssey Bug
« on: 2 Jan 2005, 03:10 am »
Howdy,    :D

I am a newbee to the hi fi world with exposure only to B&W, rotel and classe as I have been in and out of the B&W store for several years now (limited Hi Fi in my area).  Finaly I have reached a financial point where I  am ready to make a purchase. Building from scratch and after doing much research, all paths seem to be leading to Odyssey.  The B&W speakers which I prefer are out of my price range (803's) and to pick up other equipment also to drive them pushes me out of my price. Looking at aprox 6k total budget.

I have spoken with the world class Klause over the phone and was indeed impressed as many on this forum have written.  What I don't care for now is the inability to actualy listen before a purchase.  So I have some questions to the many Odyssey owners on the sight for some helpful thoughts.

My room specifications are:  Basement 8ft ceilings. System will be used in two rooms.   Primary is 25 x 19.   Second room is 19 x 11 which is sound proofed (movie room).  

1.) Lorelei's--

I know they sound great per the reviews, I would like to know what, in your opinon, are their weakest areas?  

Are they EXACTLY the same as Legatos or are there some subtle differences?  

Does Klause offer another speaker which is a step up from the Lorelei or are there upgrades available for the Lorelei?

2) Mono's vs Extreem Mono's.  Are the extreems worth it?

3) What are the upgrades available for the Tempest and are they worth it?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and your time in writting them down.

With appreciation,

Tony

klaus@odyssey

Getting the Odyssey Bug
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2005, 08:20 am »
Hey Tony,

thanks for having the bug,   :D

Anyway,  as always,  please feel free to call me at 317 299 5578  so that we can talk in great detail about everything.

I'm sure that you'll also hear a lot of experiences from members and owners here.

Lastly,  keep in mind that with our system deals,  we hve extended the savings to all models,  above and beyond the $ 4,500.  system (Lorelei/stratos / caps / Tempest / Quattro ref. cables/  as well  :wink:

Anyway,  all the best,

klaus

byteme

Getting the Odyssey Bug
« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2005, 05:31 pm »
Couple answers:

1 - I would say the only real weakness of the Lorelie's is the lead time.  But, if they weren't any good there wouldn't be a wait!!  Like you, after much searching I was sold on the Lor's but really wanted to hear them before purchase.  Luckily I was able to, however, they sound different enough in my room vs. where I heard them that you, of course, need to take that into account.  I was able to determine, however, that everything I had read about them was absolutely true:  Increadible realism, great dynamics, detail, everything you could want.  As far as I know the Lor's are the top of the Odyssey line, but the Belcanto's, according to the Symphonic line site are the tops of that line.  Klaus would be better to ask if they are "exact" duplicates of the Legatos or not.  Drivers are the same, cabinet must be damn near identical at least from a volume/dimensions perspective.  Thickness and interior treatments may be different.  Klaus had been direclty importing the crossovers from Germany, however, rumour has it that now he's building them here - they'd have to be the same values though.

2 - I've got a Stereo Extreme and prefer it over the std.  If things work out in the near future I'd like to go to Extreme Monos as well.  If they fit in the budget, I'd get on them.

3 - I've got no experience with the Tempest other than hearing it at Capt. Humble's place.  The preamps I've used with a Stratos have always been tubed.  I currently have a deHavilland Ultraverve with is a wonderful match!

KarlDL

Getting the Odyssey Bug
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2005, 04:21 am »
Add'l Commentary:

a)  Can't help you on the Loreleis, though I was leaning strongly their way before deal on current speakers (Silverline Sonata IIs) came along.  They would probably achieve a greater WAF score than my Sonatas.

b)  I went Stratos Plus>Stereo Extreme>Mono Extreme.  Were I to do it again, I would start with Monos, Stratos or Khartago, depending on speaker efficiency, and consider Extreme upgrades later.  Ask Klaus about trade-in and upgrade options.

c)  My Tempest is near-Extreme, lacking only the power transformer upgrade.  I recommend it without reservation if you're into vinyl.  If your sources are purely digital, it's one-of-several preamps that will work harmoniously with the Stratos.  To be blunt, my (modded) Acurus RL-11 and the Tempest are a "dead heat" on digital source (Marantz SA-8260).  I plan to do a tube pre DIY project this winter and it will be interesting to compare to the Tempest.

d)  Klaus's package deal is terrific.  If I had known about it when I started this adventure 15 months ago, I would have bought it and avoided several intermediate steps.  Probably no greater value out there.

Lastly, as you may have picked up, patience is a prerequisite to Odyssey ownership.  If you demand instant gratification after order, this isn't the road to take (though most others are substantially more expensive).  You need patience with shipment from Odyssey, the UPS delivery, the break-in (though it improves dramatically in the first 2-3 days), and the billing.

Karl

Sound

$ $ $ Quality Quality Quality
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jan 2005, 05:08 am »
Thanks to those of you who have responded. This is a really awsome experience.  My quest for great audio has led me into an unknown culture of audio people.  I have been overwhelmed by peoples graditude and willingness to share their ideas/thoughts.  Many have PM'd me.  Several have spent time over the phone with me.  Your a very knowledgable group.

I have found myself trying to find the line between "the best" and $$$.  This hi fi stuff can really suck you in.  Of the speakers people have suggested, they all are upwards in price.  It is a subtle hypnotic dance with a not so suble stair step up in price. Finding a stopping point is important.  I was speaking with my wife (who has not been hypnotized) and her expression when she heard the bottom line  $ of what I am looking at   :evil:  helped to snap me back into reality.   :o

How much is it worth for a sublte sound difference?  How much product knowledge is enough?  Can knowledge of "better"--better speakers, better amps, better %@**#&@--- color the experience of the present?  If I am sitting with my new speakers can I fully hear and appriciate them while the seed is in my mind saying "what would the ________ speaker have sounded like compared to this one?"  

So -- where is the stopping point for you all?  How do you stop the upgrade idis?

Makes me wonder how those who engineer the equipment know where to stop.

And lastly-- I am about sold on the Odyssey equipment--  it's just the lingering question.. it the best sounding speaker for the price?

This is not about trust either-- it 's that darn, "everyones ear is different" thing that keeps the certain uncertain.

Will this question of "is this the best" ever go away?  or is it something I (we) learn to live with?  

For me, I suppose, at least until I hit the lottery?  Then it's Sympony line baby  :D

Yea I know--Just lighten up dude,

Thanks to everyone who has sent your ideas my way

Tony

zzzone

Getting the Odyssey Bug
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2005, 01:01 am »
Hi Tony....I just sent you a long winded PM..hopefully it has answered some of your questions.

In short, would I buy the whole system again,,,,???? IN A HEARTBEAT!!!

Would I upgrade to the EXTREMES...??? Not that I need it (i totally love my system) but I would in less than A HEARTBEAT!!!

Can the customer service be topped..??? No question....NEVER!!!

The people on this forum are much more knowledgable than I am especially from a technical standpoint and can maybe better explain the intricacies of the system overall...but in layman terms...everytime I put a CD in this system it just blows my mind and has exceded  by far all my expectations.