marvda1

• freelance reviewer stereomojo
Re: Cullen Cable
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jul 2018, 08:12 pm »
ask him about his new avius se cables

Samac

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jul 2018, 08:24 pm »

Scott, the Cullen PC did improve the sound with a slightly blacker background probably due to shielding.  I am going to order another for my preamp.  I am using it  with my Pass amp.  I may try a Crossover cable this time instead of the Gold.

Larry

That's good news, Larry. I'm glad The Cullen PC is working well for you. Last October I added one Cullen Avius power cord to my system. I now have all Cullen Cables in my system. I use the Crossover ll on my amp and power conditioner, the Nitin Coax cable on my streamer and universal player and the Crossover speaker cable. I moved the Avius to the amp in our office system.

I now find myself enjoying my system more and not thinking about cables. :D

Cheers,

Scott
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2018, 09:24 pm by Samac »

charmerci

« Reply #22 on: 28 Aug 2018, 06:37 pm »
Well, I contacted Patrick to try out one of his power cord because the price is very reasonable. I managed to get an Avius SE 6' demo cable to save a bit of money. It's a bit too long for my system but what the heck, I'm cheap and on a budget. Man, these things are huge! They are monsters! I had to move my Odyssey pre-amp out of the cabinet and put it on top to use the thing. My pre-amp is the only component that I have that I can exchange a pc. I was not expecting any change on one pc.

Basically, these are a deal for what you get. The highs are more clearer and more forward. (On my system, it's not necessarily what I want.) There seems to be more soundstage - not only front to back but height too! The bass is fuller and a bit less muddy. Not a monstrous difference but enough to notice it especially on a quick change with the Tempest's standard plug.

For the price, I'd really recommend you try it out. He has a trial period on his products.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
« Reply #23 on: 28 Aug 2018, 07:11 pm »
  Any reason for using ungrounded plugs as seen in photo ?

charles

marvda1

• freelance reviewer stereomojo
« Reply #24 on: 28 Aug 2018, 07:25 pm »
Well, I contacted Patrick to try out one of his power cord because the price is very reasonable. I managed to get an Avius SE 6' demo cable to save a bit of money. It's a bit too long for my system but what the heck, I'm cheap and on a budget. Man, these things are huge! They are monsters! I had to move my Odyssey pre-amp out of the cabinet and put it on top to use the thing. My pre-amp is the only component that I have that I can exchange a pc. I was not expecting any change on one pc.

i'll trade you for a 4 ft avius se

Basically, these are a deal for what you get. The highs are more clearer and more forward. (On my system, it's not necessarily what I want.) There seems to be more soundstage - not only front to back but height too! The bass is fuller and a bit less muddy. Not a monstrous difference but enough to notice it especially on a quick change with the Tempest's standard plug.

For the price, I'd really recommend you try it out. He has a trial period on his products.

Samac

« Reply #25 on: 28 Aug 2018, 07:29 pm »
Good for you, charmerci. You are going to really enjoy what the Avius SE brings  to your system. Patrick makes fantastic cables.

I've had a full set of Cullen cables in my system for about six months now and couldn't be more pleased; Great performance, great value. You can't beat that. :thumb:

Cheers,

Scott

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #26 on: 28 Aug 2018, 07:45 pm »
Glad to see you are liking the cable.  I bought a Cullen Gold PC for my Pass amp and have had good results.  I am going to try a Crossover cable for my BAT preamp.

Samac

« Reply #27 on: 28 Aug 2018, 08:38 pm »
Glad to see you are liking the cable.  I bought a Cullen Gold PC for my Pass amp and have had good results.  I am going to try a Crossover cable for my BAT preamp.

The Crossover should be fantastic on your BAT pre. I look forward to your impressions.

Cheers,

Scott

charmerci

« Reply #28 on: 28 Aug 2018, 10:02 pm »
  Any reason for using ungrounded plugs as seen in photo ?

charles

Captive cords on Sony DVD/CD player and on AVA/Van Alstine equipment.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Where Home demo rules
« Reply #29 on: 29 Aug 2018, 02:00 pm »

Captive cords on Sony DVD/CD player and on AVA/Van Alstine equipment.

Good reason. Surprised AVA sells ungrounded gear.

charles

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #30 on: 29 Aug 2018, 02:57 pm »

Good reason. Surprised AVA sells ungrounded gear.

charles

Only the older AVA gear had a captive ungrounded power  cord.  All the new gear comes with grounded IEC's.

I just emailed Patrick Cullen to see if he can make a Crossover PC with the Sonar connector plugs as opposed to the Crossover II PC.

charmerci

« Reply #31 on: 29 Aug 2018, 04:15 pm »

Only the older AVA gear had a captive ungrounded power  cord.  All the new gear comes with grounded IEC's.

Van Alstine builds stuff well. My amp just survived a hook up short in my speakers. (I was tightening some loose binding posts and it rotated the connectors inside so that the negative was touching the positive post! I was wondering why no sound was coming out the speaker!  :o )