Cullen Cable

Samac

Cullen Cable
« on: 1 Mar 2018, 01:47 am »
I added new cables to my system and have been very pleased with them. This is my story.  :D

There is not a great deal out there about Cullen Cables and that's a shame. After deciding to replace my power cable  and months of reading/researching to determine what to replace it with, I decided to give Cullen a try. The fact that Cullen Cables and Patrick (Cullen) have an extensive background in the HiFi audio industry swayed me to ultimately go with them.

About four months ago I added their Avius power cable, a twelve gauge shielded cable. On Patrick's recommendation I had him use the Sonarquest bare copper plugs. Adding the Avius to my amplifier led to an immediate improvement in sound. It added an ease to my system. It was more dynamic, balanced and relaxed. The soundstage opened up and the sound filled the room better.

Having achieved such a satisfying result I ordered another Avius; this time terminated on one end with a C7 plug for my streamer. At that time I also ordered Cullen's Nitin digital coax cable. Adding these only made things better. My system became more quiet, relaxed. It became more dynamic and at the same time easier to listen to.

After letting the cables settle-in and listening to the system with them for a couple months, I decided to go all in. I ordered the Crossover ll power cable and the Crossover speaker cable. My system is now cabled with Cullen from the wall outlet to the speakers.

As I added Cullen Cables the improvements I heard were cumulative. Their cables sound neutral, balanced and absolutely quiet. I know that doesn't sound exciting but it really is. My systems soundstage has opened up considerably. Detail and resolution are excellent. The improvements in tone/timbre have been dramatic and dynamic swings/contrast in the music is more evident. My system and the music coming from it simply sounds right.

What's Cullen's secret? I don't know. I do know that they have lots of experience, that they use quality wire, proven geometries, excellent connectors and they are an outstanding value. :thumb:

I'm just glad they are making cables. Check them out.

http://http//www.cullencable.com/

Cheers,

Scott

mresseguie

• Volunteer
  • D Sachs amp/pre + Daedalus Audio Speakers = HEAVEN
Re: Cullen Cable
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2018, 01:58 am »
Hi, Scott.

Thank you for your write up on Cullen Cables. I've known about them, but don't own any of their products.

What had you been using for a power cable before you decided to try a Cullen power cable?

Michael

Samac

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2018, 02:16 am »
Hey, Michael,

I had been using a WireWorld Stratus for a number of years. On a whim one day I replaced the Stratus with a Volex OEM cord. After about a week of listening it was apparent that the sound from my system was more to my liking. Nothing huge but an appreciable shift in the system being more enjoyable and easier to listen to. That started my quest......

There were a couple of other contenders but Cullen's top offerings were so much more affordable I decided to start with them; and it turns out stop with them. :thumb:

Cheers,

Scott

Delta77

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2018, 03:06 am »
I did pretty much the same thing.. I replaced all three power cables with 12 awg. "Crossover " line. Then replaced the Speaker cables with 10 awg. "Crossover " line.. Then I did the I.C.'s with "Crossover"  line..  The wall outlet was changed to a "Perfect Plug"..
     I believe that the biggest change was the first step "Power Cables"..
On order is a 10 awg. (6) outlet Power Strip.. And the Final cable a C-7 for the APPLE TV (streamer)..Coming next week ...
     Now my Cable Loom will be entirely made from Patrick Cullen.. Bad A$$ if you ask me..
I will be into it around $1200-$1400, (3) Power cables,(1) pair of Speaker cables, (2) pair of I.C.'s, (1) Perfect plug,(1) C-7 cable, (1) 10 awg. (6) outlet Power Strip..
 I feel I did good for my first round of BETTER CABLES..

Of coarse there are better cables out there but they are much more expensive.. " Triode Wire Labs" has me watching them for deals..

Samac

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2018, 04:11 pm »
Hey, Delta77,

Dropped you a line on AK after I completed my Cullen set-up. Good to see you. The last time I was as pleased with my cables as I am now I was using Cardas Golden Reference. That was years ago and in a different system. The Cullen Cables are just as satisfying as the Cardas GR in the system I'm using now.

Over the years I have also used Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval and Oval Nine cables as well as a full set of mid-level WireWorld. In my systems the Cardas was excellent, Analysis Plus was very good and WireWorld was good.

I'll be adding two more Crossover lls and possibly a six outlet Crossover ll power strip "down the road" to the main system. I'm also going to add all Cullen Cables to our spare bedroom/office system.

Thanks for posting your impressions of Cullen Cables. End user comments are helpful. I am so glad I gave Cullen a shot. :thumb:

Cheers,

Scott

Samac

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2018, 07:08 pm »
I have another Cullen Crossover Series ll power cable coming to put on my power conditioner. Really, really looking forward to adding that because the first Crossover ll I added to my amp has been outstanding. :thumb:

It should arrive sometime next week. I'll let it settle for awhile and post my impressions.

Cheers,

Scott

mresseguie

• Volunteer
  • D Sachs amp/pre + Daedalus Audio Speakers = HEAVEN
« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2018, 11:55 pm »
I look forward to more input on these Cullen cables. I may just have to try one when I return to the States in a couple months.

Samac

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2018, 02:10 am »
It was fun this morning finding a package on the porch from Cullen Cable which contained another Crossover Serires ll power cord; I put it on the power conditioner. With about ten hours on it I'm very pleased with the results. Out of the box I'm getting a nice jump in dynamics, detail and soundstage. :thumb:

Looking forward to accumulating hours on it and hearing how it will improve my system. I'll post more impressions in a few days.

Cheers,

Scott

jtwrace

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2018, 02:16 am »
I've been looking at them too.  Too bad he doesn't list any specs of his cables (wire). 

Samac

« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2018, 10:46 pm »
I've had the Cullen Crossover Series ll power cord on my APC power conditioner for a month now. It has settled in nicely.

Just like when I added other Cullen cables it improved the sound of my system. There is another reduction of noise with added detail and resolution.

Last October I tried my first Cullen Cable. I figured I'd try it and if there was some improvement I'd take the next step and try cables from a couple other companies I had on my "short list".

Well, Cullen Cables changed that plan. I was so pleased with each cable I added that I ended up with a complete set of  Cullen cables for my system.

http://www.cullencable.com/

Cheers,

Scott

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2018, 05:15 am »
I have a 6' Cullen Gold coming in the next week for my Pass Amp.  I will post a review.  I am skeptical about power cords but I have an open mind as I have heard significant differences in IC's, XLR's and USB cables.

Samac

« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2018, 12:21 pm »
I have a 6' Cullen Gold coming in the next week for my Pass Amp.  I will post a review.  I am skeptical about power cords but I have an open mind as I have heard significant differences in IC's, XLR's and USB cables.

I hope Cullen works for you as well has it has for me, Greyhound. I look forward to your impressions.

Cheers,

Scott

OzarkTom

« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2018, 12:52 pm »
Is there a price list anywhere? Or just emal?

Never mind, I found it.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer stereomojo
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2018, 02:51 pm »
he has a new power cable not shown on the website.  ask him about the new avius se

Samac

« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2018, 05:03 pm »
he has a new power cable not shown on the website.  ask him about the new avius se

That's great news. I have the original Avius with Sonarquest Red Copper plugs on my streamer. Patrick makes fantastic cables and he's a pleasure to work with. :thumb:

Cheers,

Scott

eis

• I Love Vinyl
« Reply #15 on: 24 Jul 2018, 02:55 am »
I known this thread is a little old, however, reading has reinforced  my decision purchase two Crossover PC's from Patrick Cullen. If they work out the same for me as they have for others then I'll go for the others as well i.e. speaker cables and interconnects.

Looking forward for that package to arrive.  :)

marvda1

• freelance reviewer stereomojo
« Reply #16 on: 24 Jul 2018, 03:31 am »
let us know what you think.

Delta77

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jul 2018, 05:28 pm »
I will be ordering a new Headphone cable from Patrick this week..
We will see how it stacks up against the stock ZMF cables..

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jul 2018, 05:34 pm »
I hope Cullen works for you as well has it has for me, Greyhound. I look forward to your impressions.

Cheers,

Scott

Scott, the Cullen PC did improve the sound with a slightly blacker background probably due to shielding.  I am going to order another for my preamp.  I am using it  with my Pass amp.  I may try a Crossover cable this time instead of the Gold.

Larry

Delta77

« Reply #19 on: 24 Jul 2018, 06:39 pm »
"Scott, the Cullen PC did improve the sound with a slightly blacker background probably due to shielding.  I am going to order another for my preamp.  I am using it  with my Pass amp.  I may try a Crossover cable this time instead of the Gold."

Just a suggestion ,
Being as Cullencable is reasonably priced, get the best you can.. I don't think there is a need for the "Crossover 2" , just get the Crossover line with upgrades( 10 awg wire , and Carbon fiber connectors ). 

« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2018, 12:21 am by Delta77 »