Sound meaning

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Sound meaning
« Reply #40 on: 2 Feb 2018, 12:27 am »
How do you go about matching a tube amp with speakers???
If I have permit to reply this, there are several methods according personal taste like size(wife), price, sensitivity, output power, timbre, bass, type of music, but as I just post above also the type of magnet should be taken into account, tubes with Alnico and Transistors with Ferrite.
What is the approach to matching when you have a tube preamp and a SS amp?
The determining factor is the power amp, which is who drive the speakers.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #41 on: 2 Feb 2018, 01:03 am »
How do you go about matching a tube amp with speakers???

What is the approach to matching when you have a tube preamp and a SS amp?

My approach is to match a tube amp with a speaker with at least 92db sensitivity and flat 8 ohm impedance or higher.  And if possible no bass lower than 80hz (filling in the  bottom octaves with active subwoofers). 

Tube preamp plus ss amp is what I actually run in my setup.  SS amps have a much larger range of speakers they can drive.  Even then, I still like subs for the lowest octaves.

Folsom

« Reply #42 on: 2 Feb 2018, 01:55 am »
No doubt. This fact makes all the difference in the world. And no, I'm not ok with poor recordings. As a for instance, I'm not sure if I ever heard a "good" recording when they attempt to mix and record a live concert. Eric Clapton "Unplugged" comes to mind. Can't listen to stuff like this.

But are you ok with the flavor that every production takes on? Live or not, they all have a flavor and it is distinctly not what you would you would hear live, and only comes from the recording and production process. That element can be more or less, depending on the direction you go with a stereo.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #43 on: 2 Feb 2018, 02:21 am »
arro222,

If you're wondering who this way bitchin' 'Tyson' guy is that's giving you such fine advice, poke around here in the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest Circle. Read through the threads that say anything like "Tyson and Pez's Coverage" or "Pez and Tyson's Coverage".  You'll find that Tyson's one of the great, and quite experienced, guys on this site. :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

restrav

« Reply #44 on: 2 Feb 2018, 03:24 am »
im looking for a topic even more pointless than this one. suggestions? i would like it to have tune rectifier please. thanks in advance.

arro222

« Reply #45 on: 2 Feb 2018, 03:42 am »
arro222,

If you're wondering who this way bitchin' 'Tyson' guy is that's giving you such fine advice, poke around here in the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest Circle. Read through the threads that say anything like "Tyson and Pez's Coverage" or "Pez and Tyson's Coverage".  You'll find that Tyson's one of the great, and quite experienced, guys on this site. :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

No I wasn't wondering that at all. I appreciate his efforts plain and simple.

arro222

« Reply #46 on: 2 Feb 2018, 03:43 am »
im looking for a topic even more pointless than this one. suggestions? i would like it to have tune rectifier please. thanks in advance.

Now this guy I do wonder about.

arro222

« Reply #47 on: 2 Feb 2018, 03:46 am »
But are you ok with the flavor that every production takes on? Live or not, they all have a flavor and it is distinctly not what you would you would hear live, and only comes from the recording and production process. That element can be more or less, depending on the direction you go with a stereo.

Nope. Just plain do not like every flavor.

arro222

« Reply #48 on: 2 Feb 2018, 03:55 am »
Correct.
Ferrite magnet speakers are a good match to Transistors amps.
Alnico magnet speakers are a good match to tube amps, mainly Single Ended amps.

How do you tell magnets? The rumor is that Proac used ARC stuff to voice theirs once upon a time. Then I heard that Tyler used Primare stuff so I bought some of that. I must admit the Primares do a nice job with the Proacs but I doubt he used any Primare stuff when i bought these Proacs 20 years ago.

arro222

« Reply #49 on: 2 Feb 2018, 04:01 am »
In the early 70's I had some Jensen speakers. Is this more of what type of magnet was used in a certain time period? The Jensens I never really liked.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #50 on: 2 Feb 2018, 04:42 am »
How do you tell magnets? The rumor is that Proac used ARC stuff to voice theirs once upon a time. Then I heard that Tyler used Primare stuff so I bought some of that. I must admit the Primares do a nice job with the Proacs but I doubt he used any Primare stuff when i bought these Proacs 20 years ago.
About 90% of the speaker drivers are Ferrite today, due Alnico and Neodymium hi prices. Ferrite magnets usually are round, wide, flat and large as below:

Alnico magnets usually are a small cylinder enclosed in steel cup or open frame as below:

Tyson

« Reply #51 on: 2 Feb 2018, 05:17 am »
arro222,

Have fun,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry :)

Heh, you and me both!

Mag

« Reply #52 on: 2 Feb 2018, 06:25 am »
IME, a quality recording is the key to achieving 'live' like or 'real like' sound. I tweak my favorite recordings, but to give you an idea of what I call a good recording Dire Straits- Brothers in Arms, sacd hybrid, is the best example that comes to mind. I played the cd layer yesterday and I have to say this is as good as it gets.

A quality recording isn't the only requirement, you need system synergy as well. I say this because I have done progressive upgrades from the beginning of my stereo set up, and I know what each upgrade has done for the sound.
So in my estimation one would need to invest in the neighborhood of $25,000 CDN retail in addition to quality recordings in achieving 'real live like sound.'

Some recordings however are so bad even tweaking won't help improve the sound. :smoke:

Folsom

« Reply #53 on: 2 Feb 2018, 06:33 am »
Nope. Just plain do not like every flavor.

Well, it's literally impossible to have great timbre without accepting the flavor of production from studios.

So, I think your best bet is to choose equipment that uses a lot of RF noise to grow the soundstage. Grounding boxes will be useful to you. Probably DSD as well for source.

JakeJ

« Reply #54 on: 2 Feb 2018, 12:35 pm »

Heh, you and me both!

Me three.  Talk about pointless.

brother love

« Reply #55 on: 2 Feb 2018, 01:01 pm »
If you're wondering who this way bitchin' 'Tyson' guy is that's giving you such fine advice ...

way bitchin' 'Tyson' guy

That could really catch on  :lol:

Seriously though, Tyson is providing some great info.

arro222

« Reply #56 on: 2 Feb 2018, 02:39 pm »
Thanks FRM for that explanation about magnets. Ferrite must be able to get up there money wise as well as i just paid $350 for a 6" driver.

arro222

« Reply #57 on: 2 Feb 2018, 03:04 pm »
Well, it's literally impossible to have great timbre without accepting the flavor of production from studios.

So, I think your best bet is to choose equipment that uses a lot of RF noise to grow the soundstage. Grounding boxes will be useful to you. Probably DSD as well for source.

Well Folsom you peaked my curiosity. I am not agreeing with it and this is why: of course instruments and voices can sound different in differentiated settings and that part is ok with me. Sound stage is secondary for me. As long as whether that instrument or voice can be depicted truthfully no matter where it is or how it's mixed, I'm good. I'm not looking for  timbre as a generality. I'm looking at timbre for whatever the placement, be represented accurately.

Your advice is heartfully appreciated.
Lets say the source is a given and being direct stream, the recording excellent, the player excellent and now the amp.
Let's even say that either tubes or ss, the bass is adequate for me. Will there be any more difference to an excellent source or recording as far as accuracy or to what makes things sound actual using one topology (tubes/ss)  over another?

arro222

« Reply #58 on: 2 Feb 2018, 03:07 pm »
I dunno. Mr. Tyson thinks there should be a mix I assume to gather in the best of both worlds or to mitigate what may be worse in each. I know ARC uses tubes but they also seem to have an awful lot of electronics in their cases as well. Perhaps I should simply get their Vsi75 or GS 150 and call it a day.

Tyson

« Reply #59 on: 2 Feb 2018, 05:01 pm »
Sorry, double post.