VR Roon users--what core are you using?

matthewpartrick

• thecluelessaudiophile.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
VR Roon users--what core are you using?
« on: 21 Jan 2018, 05:59 pm »
I'm currently using a Synology NAS as storage but running the Core on my MacBook.  Anyone of my VR buddies out there running Roon core on a network attached storage or other headless unit?

mirekti

Re: VR Roon users--what core are you using?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2018, 06:40 pm »
I am on Win 10 running HQPlayer and Roon, and happy with it.

jpm

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2018, 08:39 pm »
I'm running ROCK, as prescribed by ROON, on an i5 NUC. It's hard to imagine an easier, less obtrusive or expensive way to run ROON Core. 

I get the appeal of running Core on a NAS from a box count perspective (and technically my DS 1815+ can run it), but the other compromises and dependencies make it no more than a curiosity for me.

tme110

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2018, 04:28 pm »
Using a sonic transporter - a fanless, headless, server attached to my NAS and in comes in a nice looking case.  The OS is music and even ROON specific so you don't have to mess with it at all and it gets updated frequently.  You can do the same thing with ROCK and NUC but I liked this option better - esp if you use a m/uRendu.

findog3103

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2018, 07:28 pm »
I'm currently using a Synology NAS as storage but running the Core on my MacBook.  Anyone of my VR buddies out there running Roon core on a network attached storage or other headless unit?

I run a synology 212+ with a headless mac mini and it works pretty well.

roboss38

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2018, 09:10 pm »
I run the Roon core on a SSD in my QNAP TVS-871, and it works flawlessly.

matthewpartrick

« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2018, 06:39 pm »
I run the Roon core on a SSD in my QNAP TVS-871, and it works flawlessly.

I'll have to price out this QNAP and compare it to some of the Synology offerings.  Roon is stating 4gb RAM and SSD is highly recommended, which puts the Synology offering at about 2k.  I'm ok with this if I'm using it for multiple uses, i.e. loading DVDs and streaming them to the TV etc. 

jpm

« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2018, 08:24 pm »
I'm ok with this if I'm using it for multiple uses, i.e. loading DVDs and streaming them to the TV etc.

Do consider the costs and compromises that go hand in hand with the "all in one basket" approach. For me, these included:

- Very different upgrade cycles between a cheap dedicated computer for core and a NAS
- What happens if / when ROON offer new functionality that take advantage of new, higher powered processors?
- How often do you expect to replace your NAS and or drives? What's the cost differential versus a NAS that only needs to host data and perform other simple tasks?
- Support: when I evaluated, ROON offered no support for running core on a NAS, that's all down to (very smart) third parties

I made my calculus before ROCK was available.  I figured I'd be likely to upgrade a dedicated inexpensive ROON core computer about twice during the lifespan of  one of my NAS devices. For me, this equaled far more flexibility for the ROON core being dedicated, and some significant cost saving.

The extra processing power required to run ROON core smoothly on a NAS is likely to only be used for ROON core, but that may not be the case for you. Do you already have a NAS and have confidence about how you plan to use it, or are all the cool things you MIGHT do with a high powered NAS just potential that QNAP or Synology are selling?

I still find it hard to make a financial or practical case for combining ROON core and NAS functionality (and I wanted to!) without a high confidence level in the use case.

For anyone who's new to the world of NAS use, start modestly and learn how it works for you, while running ROON core separately and enjoying music free from the foibles and learning process of NAS 101.  Above all, remember these are computing devices, not audio hardware, and their lifespan and retained values are very different.

Good luck!

Paret

• Keller, TX
« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2018, 10:19 pm »
Salk Streamer III with a high quality USB cable into a McIntosh C2600 which has a magnificent DAC that handles everything up to DSD.

I’m sure feeding a Lio with DAC would be sweet.

Roon works like a charm.

http://www.salksound.com/streamplayer.php?model=StreamPlayer+Gen+III

:beer:

Luis D. Paret
Keller, TX

matthewpartrick

« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2018, 04:41 am »
Turned in my Pulsars for the Perspectives today! More t come!

lokie

« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2018, 12:57 pm »
Do consider the costs and compromises that go hand in hand with the "all in one basket" approach. For me, these included:

- Very different upgrade cycles between a cheap dedicated computer for core and a NAS
- What happens if / when ROON offer new functionality that take advantage of new, higher powered processors?
- How often do you expect to replace your NAS and or drives? What's the cost differential versus a NAS that only needs to host data and perform other simple tasks?
- Support: when I evaluated, ROON offered no support for running core on a NAS, that's all down to (very smart) third parties

I made my calculus before ROCK was available.  I figured I'd be likely to upgrade a dedicated inexpensive ROON core computer about twice during the lifespan of  one of my NAS devices. For me, this equaled far more flexibility for the ROON core being dedicated, and some significant cost saving.

The extra processing power required to run ROON core smoothly on a NAS is likely to only be used for ROON core, but that may not be the case for you. Do you already have a NAS and have confidence about how you plan to use it, or are all the cool things you MIGHT do with a high powered NAS just potential that QNAP or Synology are selling?

I still find it hard to make a financial or practical case for combining ROON core and NAS functionality (and I wanted to!) without a high confidence level in the use case.

For anyone who's new to the world of NAS use, start modestly and learn how it works for you, while running ROON core separately and enjoying music free from the foibles and learning process of NAS 101.  Above all, remember these are computing devices, not audio hardware, and their lifespan and retained values are very different.

Good luck!

Good advice here.

I started out w a 2012 Mac Mini SSD, 8gigs Ram, I5, and it wasn't doing the job w ROON. Switched to a more modern Windows SSD, I3 and it seems to be doing just OK. I am seriously thinking about a Rock so I can just set and forget.

I have kids in the house and, well, let me just say they seem to find every computer in the house for their own "repurpose" for various entertainment applications. Which makes me think using the NAS as the Core wouldn't work for me.

BTW... My NAS is a synology 1515+. They are having problems w this one and have extended the warranty. I had to send mine in for replacement. now my aftermarket RAM in the Synology wont function??? But it seems to working OK w/o... if I could get my 13 year old off my core  with his online video games that are processor pigs.

Having said all this... my digital has never sounded better and having a blast w ROON/Tidal.

jriggy

« Reply #11 on: 30 Mar 2018, 01:32 pm »
Turned in my Pulsars for the Perspectives today! More t come!

Sweeet! Congrats! Killer speaker. They will respond to big$$$ gear upgrades for life, if so inclined. Hopefully you can give them the room to truly shine.

matthewpartrick

« Reply #12 on: 31 Mar 2018, 02:06 am »
I’m feeding them the VR 120 now, so hopefully that will work!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #13 on: 31 Mar 2018, 02:11 am »
I’m feeding them the VR 120 now, so hopefully that will work!

Hi MP,

VR120 will have plenty of power to drive your Perspectives, and they are more sensitive than the Pulsars... so
you should be all set!

Enjoy them, and keep us posted!

Vinnie

PS: Coming to Axpona?  2 weeks from today!

matthewpartrick

« Reply #14 on: 1 Apr 2018, 12:11 am »
Hi MP,

VR120 will have plenty of power to drive your Perspectives, and they are more sensitive than the Pulsars... so
you should be all set!

Enjoy them, and keep us posted!

Vinnie

PS: Coming to Axpona?  2 weeks from today!

I wish! My wife’s birthday is thAt weekend, and I was already allowed a bachelor trip to NYC for the Explorers Club dinner.  Got to meet Jeff Bezos so that was cool! Maybe next show. :)