LIO versus RWA Sig 30.2 LFP-V

PhishPhan

LIO versus RWA Sig 30.2 LFP-V
« on: 7 Jan 2018, 03:27 pm »
As some of you may know, I am seriously considering upgrading from my current RWA Sig 30.2 LFP-V to a LIO. I've been so happy with my RWA Sig 30.2 for the past 6 years; I want to be sure that it is indeed an upgrade to jump to the LIO. I can't quite swing a new LIO, so my eyes are on the lookout for a used unit. Listening to almost exclusively CDs and the occasional digital source from my computer/tablet.

I've scoured the forums trying to find any direct comparisons between the two units, but haven't found much. From what I can tell the amp portions are different (class T v. class AB MOSFET) and I'm assuming the preamp components are different too. Is there a sonic advantage with the ultracapacitors over the batteries?

Any input, feedback etc. would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Vinnie R.

Re: LIO versus RWA Sig 30.2 LFP-V
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2018, 04:50 pm »
Hi PhishPhan,

LIO is a significant upgrade in every possible way! (except if you prefer the smaller box size of the RWA Sig 30.2)

I'm not even sure where to start.  8)

- Improved power supply (ultracapacitor-based instead of battery based)
- Improved preamp stage(s) (there are 3 options available with LIO, and even the 'entry level' RVC + Tubestage is
much better than the Sig 30.2 remote Alps pot and single-tube buffer)
- Improved dac, phono and HPA stages (And these were not even options with the 30.2)
- Improved speaker output stage, etc. 

- Much more functionality on the front panel and remote. 
- Modular design so you can upgrade or add modules later.
- Better built quality, better layout, better components...

The ultracaps are superior to the LiFePO4 batteries in the RWA LFP-V Editions.  Lower output impedance
(higher peak current), much longer lifespan...

As for as how they they compare sonically, the only way to find out is to listen to LIO one day in your system.

Customer feedback:  http://www.vinnierossi.com/customer-feedback/

Reviews: http://www.vinnierossi.com/professional-reviews/

Show Coverage:  http://www.vinnierossi.com/show-coverage/

Having said all of this above, you mentioned:

I've been so happy with my RWA Sig 30.2 for the past 6 years;

I am very pleased to hear this, and besides having to change the battery at some point, I'm sure you'll get many more years of enjoyment out of your Sig 30.2!  So if you are curious about LIO, when the time is right for you to purchase, please email or call me and I'll be glad to answer any questions that you may have.  With a 30-day refund policy, you can compare them both in your system.

Hope this helps,

Vinnie

PhishPhan

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2018, 08:25 pm »
Thanks for the feedback!

Another question about the MOSFET amp module. I understand it is a class AB amp; is it correct to assume it operates in class A below a certain threshold wattage, at which point it becomes class B? If so, at what point does it make the switch?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2018, 08:38 pm »
Thanks for the feedback!

Another question about the MOSFET amp module. I understand it is a class AB amp; is it correct to assume it operates in class A below a certain threshold wattage, at which point it becomes class B? If so, at what point does it make the switch?

Hi PhishPhan,

Yes, LIO MOSFET AMP is Class AB.  It does not go Class B (where crossover distortion becomes a problem) because of the bias current
applied to the output stage that makes sure that both the positive and negative FETs remain ON (conducting) at the waveform zero crossing point.  That's what makes it Class AB, and not Class B.  In other words, with no bias current applied, a Class AB amp would be a Class B amp (which is not very useful for high end audio because of crossover distortion).

Best regards

Vinnie

targa02

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2018, 03:38 pm »
Hi Phishphan.  I own the LIO with the DAC 2 module and I owned the RWA Sig 30.2 years ago (I would guess about 4 yrs ago).  I have not heard them in a direct A B comparison and the ancillary equipment is different in the system I had years ago versus my current, so take all of that into consideration.

As good as the Sig 30.2 is, the LIO is in a different league.  Of all the things that the Sig 30.2 does well (low noise the highest attribute), the LIO does better and it is modular.  So many options to reduce box count and a means to upgrade without having to spend huge amounts of money. 

BTW, the amp is surprisingly powerful in driving my 83.5 dB speakers.

charmerci

PhishPhan

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2018, 01:11 pm »
Hi Phishphan.  I own the LIO with the DAC 2 module and I owned the RWA Sig 30.2 years ago (I would guess about 4 yrs ago).  I have not heard them in a direct A B comparison and the ancillary equipment is different in the system I had years ago versus my current, so take all of that into consideration.

As good as the Sig 30.2 is, the LIO is in a different league.  Of all the things that the Sig 30.2 does well (low noise the highest attribute), the LIO does better and it is modular.  So many options to reduce box count and a means to upgrade without having to spend huge amounts of money. 

BTW, the amp is surprisingly powerful in driving my 83.5 dB speakers.

Thanks for the feedback!

PhishPhan

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2018, 01:13 pm »
Here you go -

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154815.msg1656152#msg1656152

I saw that add, but it’s a little too expensive for me right now. I don’t think the DHT is in my future for a while. I’d love a minimal Integrated with the avc tubestage.

TomS