I have FINALLY gotten things up and running

Vinnie R.

Re: I have FINALLY gotten things up and running
« Reply #20 on: 10 Dec 2017, 11:39 pm »
Will the Lio drive the Perspectives to adequate listening levels?

I spy a VR120 stereo power amplifier in matthewpartrick's console that should drive the Perspectives very well  :wink:

joneill

« Reply #21 on: 11 Dec 2017, 02:43 pm »
Thanks Vinnie. Totally missed it!

matthewpartrick

• thecluelessaudiophile.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #22 on: 18 Dec 2017, 01:17 am »
Hi Matthew,

I want to add my compliments on the style of your system. As the owner of a Mid-century Modern home the simple clean lines of the room and its contents are my cup of tea. Love the atomic clock, light fixture, rug, and bubble chair. As an audiophile I admire how what is technically an advanced and rather complex system is housed in a clean domestically friendly console. Is the console custom built or re-purposed original?

Of course to really finish off the look you need a pair of JBL C38s with the chrome legs.  :D

Happy Listening!

Sorry for the very late reply! More TO Comr On TBbr Console

matthewpartrick

« Reply #23 on: 18 Dec 2017, 01:20 am »
To be clear i traded in my internal amp for a reduced cost VR120, so I could get the bigger speakers enough juice.

matthewpartrick

« Reply #24 on: 31 Dec 2017, 12:05 am »
Got the Acoustic Signature Wow XXL TT with Hana Shibata SH MC cart running today.  Still having a weird thing where when I'm switching from any input to the USB aka D3, sometimes the DAC won't recognize the streamer.  I've tried turning things on in various orders and Vinnie and I have chatted about this ad infinitum with some gains.  I had the same issue with the DAC 1.0 and the microrendu, but this is the DAC 2.0 and a Bryston BDP3 streamer.  Strange.

Either way, the TT, DHT PRE and "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" on LP is an outstanding combo!

matthewpartrick

update to the system
« Reply #25 on: 12 Apr 2018, 02:58 am »
Hopefully the last for a very long while!  Pulsars traded in for the Perspectives.

matthewpartrick

« Reply #26 on: 13 Apr 2018, 01:46 am »
One more thing--just upgraded the phonostage.  Is there an instruction manual for the remote cartridge loading?

matthewpartrick

« Reply #27 on: 1 May 2018, 03:22 pm »
Hi matthewpartrick,

Congratulations! 

That's a nice looking console, with opening for your turntable and space for records and the rest
of your gear.  8)

If you find the bass to be too heavy or muddy, you might want to try shifting your right speaker out of
the corner (at least 1.5 - 2 feet over to the left) and then you can re-center your console.  If you find
you don't need to with your Pulsars, you might with the floorstanding Perspectives. 

Thanks for sharing, and enjoy it!

Vinnie

I need all the help I can get with speaker placement, TT azimuth setup, etc.  but SWMNBB dictates most of that stuff.  I move stuff around while she’s at work :)

Vinnie R.

« Reply #28 on: 1 May 2018, 04:32 pm »
Hi Matthew,

That right speaker is just BEGGING to be pulled out of the corner, and both speakers would benefit from
being pulled away from the wall behind them. 

Another idea would be to put your console in the corner, and a speaker at each wall (katty corner), firing
down the diagonal (if you can put a listening chair down the diagonal... even something like a dining
room chair that you can try and easily return to it is "correct" location  :wink:).

Experiment - and have fun with the process.  You'll get there!

Vinnie

matthewpartrick

« Reply #29 on: 5 May 2018, 02:17 am »
Hi Matthew,

That right speaker is just BEGGING to be pulled out of the corner, and both speakers would benefit from
being pulled away from the wall behind them. 

Another idea would be to put your console in the corner, and a speaker at each wall (katty corner), firing
down the diagonal (if you can put a listening chair down the diagonal... even something like a dining
room chair that you can try and easily return to it is "correct" location  :wink:).

Experiment - and have fun with the process.  You'll get there!

Vinnie

I know, that speaker is too close to the wall.  But I’m so petrified of my yeti-sized dog or toddlers or demented mother in law or cleaner from knocking it over, as has happened with the Pulsars.  I guess I’ll experiment and wait for the dogs and kids to grow up! :)

gene9p

« Reply #30 on: 5 May 2018, 01:36 pm »
I know, that speaker is too close to the wall.  But I’m so petrified of my yeti-sized dog or toddlers or demented mother in law or cleaner from knocking it over, as has happened with the Pulsars.  I guess I’ll experiment and wait for the dogs and kids to grow up! :)

put a fence around the LIO.... :lol:

timind

« Reply #31 on: 5 May 2018, 05:56 pm »
This thread is almost painful to read through. All that beautiful equipment driving those phenomenal speakers with such lousy placement. I'm not usually so blunt, but dude, you are killing me. I'm hoping you can easily move the speakers in to proper position for serious listening.

raddar

« Reply #32 on: 5 May 2018, 06:52 pm »
This thread is almost painful to read through. All that beautiful equipment driving those phenomenal speakers with such lousy placement. I'm not usually so blunt, but dude, you are killing me. I'm hoping you can easily move the speakers in to proper position for serious listening.

I was thinking the same thing :scratch:

jriggy

« Reply #33 on: 5 May 2018, 07:00 pm »

I feel the exact same!  I’ve seen some suboptimals that look like an “oh well, close enough for this room” but this one.....

Matthew,
What about a 45° angle set-up? Gear in the corner and speakers somewhere down each wall. It will take those horrid boundary reinforcements to way less of a factor.

timind

« Reply #34 on: 5 May 2018, 10:59 pm »
Something like this:

AN older pic of my room.

matthewpartrick

« Reply #35 on: 7 May 2018, 02:52 am »

I know it's tough.  But I'm protecting my investment from a 2 and 4 year old, demented in-laws, and an Irish Wolfhound puppy that is like managing a coked-out adolescent Yeti.  Once they become less berserker I will rearrange.  I was happy to get any permission from the WAF in my new house for the 2-channel equipment at all. 

Perhaps when the kids and dogs are older I can teach them the ways of the Force and discourage breaking 50k worth of hardware.  Right now, I'm doing my best from it getting broken (which already happened to my Pulsars that I traded in.

matthewpartrick

« Reply #36 on: 7 May 2018, 02:54 am »
jriggy and TimMD, I will try this exact placement and move the couch forthwith.  Thanks for the advice.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #37 on: 7 May 2018, 02:58 am »
Something like this:

AN older pic of my room.

Yes, what timind shows is what I mean by "firing down the diagonal" of your room. 

It should be a substantial improvement!

Vinnie

matthewpartrick

« Reply #38 on: 7 May 2018, 03:02 am »
Ok cool I'll do some rearrangement and repost.  Going to Cuba for a week so I'll work on it when I get back :)

jriggy

« Reply #39 on: 7 May 2018, 02:43 pm »

Perhaps when the kids and dogs are older I can teach them the ways of the Force and discourage breaking 50k worth of hardware.  Right now, I'm doing my best from it getting broken (which already happened to my Pulsars that I traded in.

Do it now! Don’t wait! Begin that obedience training now. People say you cant train a cat but I have both of our cats very well trained on many fronts, gear and speakers included. So if I can do it with cats you can definitely do it with a dog and babies, who cadigoricly respond to good firm direction.