SPATIAL X2 modular - RMAF Unveiling

Tyson

Re: SPATIAL X2 modular - RMAF Unveiling
« Reply #160 on: 17 Feb 2018, 05:35 am »
Ha, the X2's just look like pieces of art.  Way nicer looking in your space than the old monkey coffins.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #161 on: 4 Mar 2018, 12:31 am »
My room treatments arrived last week and I hung them up earlier today. My room is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter than it was before. I re-ran the Room Perfect software on the Lyngdorf and I finally have the system I've been chasing for the past 25 years.

One of my favorite albums is Pat Metheny's "Secret Story". I've listened to it hundreds of times. Until today the best I've ever heard it was at The House of Stereo in Jacksonville, FL around 1993. I don't remember the electronics, but the speakers were Magnepan 20's and man did they sound good. I've never come close to that level of quality in any of my systems until today. The X2's are flat-out amazing if you have the space to set them up properly and are willing to make hundreds of micro-adjustments to the placement to dial them in. Room treatments should be considered mandatory. Break-in is real and it took many hours for them to open up. The bass is now crazy good and the imaging is the best I've ever heard.

Here's a few pictures of the room with the treatments installed. A friend of mine thinks the panel above the TV looks odd, but it actually looks pretty bad-ass when you're in the room. The panels are OCD straight, but don't look that way in all the pictures due to sun angle/shadows.

And yes Tyson, My system sounds so AWESOME!!!  :lol:

Samac

« Reply #162 on: 4 Mar 2018, 12:53 am »
That is one sweet room and system, SlushPuppy. :thumb: I hope to add a few panels to the walls someday myself, just to quiet things down a little.

Yours look well thought out, tastefully done and not overboard. Well done. :thumb:

Cheers,

Scott

mwalker2

« Reply #163 on: 4 Mar 2018, 01:53 am »
Congrats D - It is back to the drawing board for me. I will consider incorporating some of your room treatment ideas, in the meantime I can only paraphrase ‘The Honeymooners: “One day, one day, POW”

Chris_B

« Reply #164 on: 4 Mar 2018, 04:34 am »
Very nice and congrats on the well thought out room.  If you get a chance, post the distances in the setup - distance from the front wall, apart and to the listening position.

Tyson

« Reply #165 on: 4 Mar 2018, 06:16 am »

And yes Tyson, My system sounds so AWESOME!!!  :lol:

Told ya :thumb:

The X2's are really the only speakers I've heard that I'd want to own if I didn't have the Super 7's.  They both have that incredible open window on the recording type of presentation that is intoxicating.  And they sound BIG!!  So many speakers present medium sized soundstages, I love that these don't, they sound huge! 

Congrats on getting them dialed in, now comes the fun part - relistening to all your favorite recordings.  If you're anything like me, it'll do one other very interesting thing:  allow you to understand and appreciate artists that were closed off before.  I'm thinking of people like Bob Dylan and Janis Joplin.  I respected what they did, but their music didn't really resonate with me.  Part of that was the recordings are very challenging to reproduce well.  But with speakers like the X2s (and Super 7s), the recording itself stops being a barrier.  That's pretty damn cool.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #166 on: 4 Mar 2018, 05:24 pm »
Great looking room, congrats on getting it dialed in.  I'm also interested in distances, especially center to center between the speakers and from each speaker to the sweet spot.  I have X2s on the way.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #167 on: 4 Mar 2018, 11:34 pm »
That is one sweet room and system, SlushPuppy. :thumb: I hope to add a few panels to the walls someday myself, just to quiet things down a little.

Yours look well thought out, tastefully done and not overboard. Well done. :thumb:

Cheers,

Scott

Thanks Scott!

I'll be honest, I didn't expect that much of an improvement with my treatments, but I was really blown away by how much they improved my room. The correction software in my integrated amp was working at 34% before treatments, it's now working at 16%. The room is so much quieter now.

Cheers!

Dave

SlushPuppy

« Reply #168 on: 4 Mar 2018, 11:45 pm »
Congrats D - It is back to the drawing board for me. I will consider incorporating some of your room treatment ideas, in the meantime I can only paraphrase ‘The Honeymooners: “One day, one day, POW”

Hey Manny!

It was great talking to you on the phone the other day. Sorry the X2's didn't work in your room. They certainly looked good in there! I think that option we discussed may work. Hang in there, I know you'll get there soon!

Take care,

Dave

SlushPuppy

« Reply #169 on: 5 Mar 2018, 12:14 am »
Told ya :thumb:

The X2's are really the only speakers I've heard that I'd want to own if I didn't have the Super 7's.  They both have that incredible open window on the recording type of presentation that is intoxicating.  And they sound BIG!!  So many speakers present medium sized soundstages, I love that these don't, they sound huge! 

Congrats on getting them dialed in, now comes the fun part - relistening to all your favorite recordings.  If you're anything like me, it'll do one other very interesting thing:  allow you to understand and appreciate artists that were closed off before.  I'm thinking of people like Bob Dylan and Janis Joplin.  I respected what they did, but their music didn't really resonate with me.  Part of that was the recordings are very challenging to reproduce well.  But with speakers like the X2s (and Super 7s), the recording itself stops being a barrier.  That's pretty damn cool.

They do sound huge! As wide as the room. "Udu Chant" on Mickey Hart's Planet Drum is all over the place - in a good way!

Glad to finally have them dialed-in. I was getting tired of listening to the same songs over and over while I made micro adjustments to distance and toe-in. Those songs will be retired for a long while....

Already digging deep into the collection and am enjoying albums I bought based on reviews (pre-Internet) that I previously didn't really care for. As you said, speakers like this give you a new perspective on artists you didn't get on the first listen.

Take care,

Dave

SlushPuppy

« Reply #170 on: 5 Mar 2018, 12:37 am »
Very nice and congrats on the well thought out room.  If you get a chance, post the distances in the setup - distance from the front wall, apart and to the listening position.

Great looking room, congrats on getting it dialed in.  I'm also interested in distances, especially center to center between the speakers and from each speaker to the sweet spot.  I have X2s on the way.

Thanks guys!

Here's how I have mine set up:

The distance from tweeter to tweeter is 92"
The distance from either tweeter to my sitting position is 112"

They are toed-in with the back of the inner side of the top baffle 40" from the wall and
the back of the outer side of the top baffle 45.5" from the back wall. These slant back,
that's why I emphasized top baffle.

The back of the outer side of the top baffle is 17" from the side wall.

The front two spikes are raised up 1/8". The back one is twisted all the way in.

I moved these more times than I wish to remember and this works best in my room.
Scary good actually!  :thumb:

Cheers!

Dave

SFDude

« Reply #171 on: 5 Mar 2018, 01:23 am »
Slushpuppy, what a great setup there! Looks extremely inviting, comfortable and with the system dialed in, some place that looks like you'd spend hours upon hours enjoying the fruits of your investment and labor to get right.

Enjoy!

-dave

DavidS

« Reply #172 on: 5 Mar 2018, 02:06 am »
yes add me to the envious list.  My treatments not nearly so tidy and only M3 Turbo S here but love them - X2's looking forward to hearing them one day.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #173 on: 6 Mar 2018, 12:02 pm »
Slushpuppy it's interesting how my M3 Triode Masters are set up very similarly.  Tweeter to tweeter = 92".  Tweeters to sitting position = 106".  Except I have 38" to side walls and 64" to wall behind the speakers.
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2018, 12:32 am by Hear Clifford Brown »

limits

« Reply #174 on: 6 Mar 2018, 03:02 pm »
Hi Slushpuppy--thanks for posting your room setup. Love the X2's...I can't even imagine how great Pat Metheny's 'Secret Story' sounds on those (would also love to hear the 'Falcon and the Snowman' soundtrack on them, as well  :o)

Congrats on getting things sorted!! Maybe one day...you never know...but damn the M3TS ain't no slouch, either   :D

limits

Wind Chaser

« Reply #175 on: 6 Mar 2018, 07:02 pm »
They do sound huge!

You can make them sounder even huger by spreading them further apart and sitting closer to them. Don't know what you're using for amps, but some amps sound huger than other amps.  :wink: