Back to Software: Maria Callas Legacy remastered

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: Back to Software: Maria Callas Legacy remastered
« Reply #20 on: 10 Oct 2017, 11:33 am »
these 2 examples add to my worries: more hiss (louder...?) and no real "cleaning up"
https://www.gramophone.co.uk/feature/competition-win-maria-callas-live

Cheers,
Marius

Not great. Old recordings almost always have hiss, and it's apparently not easy to get rid of it. I have some piano recs from the likes of Cortot and Lipatti, with hiss like a snakepit. One has to learn to listen past it, I guess.  :duh: :cry: :cry:

Marius

« Reply #21 on: 10 Oct 2017, 11:39 am »
Not great. Old recordings almost always have hiss, and it's apparently not easy to get rid of it. I have some piano recs from the likes of Cortot and Lipatti, with hiss like a snakepit. One has to learn to listen past it, I guess.  :duh: :cry: :cry:

Sure. I don't care about the hiss. I have many many live recordings where hiss is abundantly there. ;-) SO are coughing audience and shouting prompters. All adds to the excitement.
The new transfers seem to have louder hiss than the originals... :scratch:  One could fear the upped loudness (see earlier posts) takes its toll on this aspect too. Unforgivable if true, if you ask me. The voice doesn't get any better though, and that should have been the sole priority imho.

cheers,
Marius

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #22 on: 10 Oct 2017, 11:46 am »
I would avoid changing the voice in any way whatsoever. If it's in the recording, and not background grunge, it should stay. But the loudness issue is pervasive, I fear.

Another quick cash grab by the studio....