The NFL Season, 17-18

randytsuch

Re: The NFL Season, 17-18
« Reply #60 on: 2 Oct 2017, 04:19 pm »
Rams are 3-1 and leading the NFC West.  Talk about surprises lol
Of course they started strong last year, and ended really badly.

asliarun

« Reply #61 on: 2 Oct 2017, 07:09 pm »
I am relatively new to football and all its intricacies. But I have been hearing Tony Romo's commentary in the last couple of games, and I honestly think he is a class apart. The way he explains each play, and what is going on in the minds of the teams - one gets to learn a lot of stuff just listening to him. And he is quite good at predicting plays!

Do any of you agree? Or is this just the novice in me misinterpreting things?

goskers

« Reply #62 on: 2 Oct 2017, 07:26 pm »
I fully agree.  The only wish I would have for him is to learn to calm down a bit and let things breath.  He seems to be trying very hard to impress. 

His ability to calls plays and audibles is kind of scary.  It makes me wonder if any of the other ex quarterbacks are capable of the same and just choose not to comment.

randytsuch

« Reply #63 on: 2 Oct 2017, 11:28 pm »
Haven't heard romo yet.

What game was he on Sunday?

Doublej

« Reply #64 on: 3 Oct 2017, 12:23 am »
Romo was on the Raiders Broncos game. I found him to be very irritating but you decide for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnOB0ud5Ro

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #65 on: 3 Oct 2017, 01:25 am »
No argument about Romo.
He reminds me of why I used to listen to music while I watched the game.

asliarun

« Reply #66 on: 3 Oct 2017, 04:14 am »
Romo was on the Raiders Broncos game. I found him to be very irritating but you decide for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnOB0ud5Ro

Interesting to see people are so polarized about Romo. Why does he irritate you so much? Is it only because he is a bit more "hyper" than others?

To his credit, he does not talk about irrelevant stuff that is not relevant to the game at hand, nor does he talk like an airhead. Yes, admittedly, he gets too worked up, but if you just focus on what he is saying, it is usually to the point, and often (or sometimes) quite insightful and also often spookily mind reading the next play. Anyway, like i said, I am still learning the game, so I can understand that others who have been watching the game for a long time would have preferences on how the game is commentated upon.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #67 on: 3 Oct 2017, 09:26 am »
A little too wound up for my tastes but to each their own.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #68 on: 3 Oct 2017, 11:43 am »
I love Tony Romo's enthusiasm and would be honored to have him there with me watching the game and providing his remarkable insights. Having him in the broadcast booth is the next best thing. You guys are just so used to the canned and polished sportscaster lingo that getting it provided colloquially and with unrehearsed energy seems unnatural. Tony is a huge upgrade from Phil Simms.

twitch54

« Reply #69 on: 3 Oct 2017, 02:05 pm »
I agree that Romo is rather insightful and he's a work in progress, not quite up to Steve Taskers level yet but he'll get there.

FireGuy

« Reply #70 on: 3 Oct 2017, 07:26 pm »
I agree that Romo is rather insightful and he's a work in progress, not quite up to Steve Taskers level yet but he'll get there.

My younger son taught a HS class for Steve Tasker's son.  I met Steve last year at this school.  Real nice guy.  Hope he gets into the HOF as a special teams player.  He was spectacular when the Bills were just about unbeatable in the 90's.

twitch54

« Reply #71 on: 3 Oct 2017, 07:53 pm »
My younger son taught a HS class for Steve Taskers' son.  I met Steve last year at this school.  Real nice guy.  Hope he gets into the HOF as a special teams player.  He was spectacular when the Bills were just about unbeatable in the 90's.

Steve Tasker was IMO, the 'Pete Rose' of football. Remember this, if it were not for Andre Reed he would have been the starting slot receiver. He was the 3rd QB, behind Reich and also played a few downs in the defensive backfield but his special teams play was at level never seen before. He remains on the list of the ten best players eligible but not (yet) in the HOF

Yes......I'm a huge Tasker fan !

Doublej

« Reply #72 on: 3 Oct 2017, 10:37 pm »
oh boy, oh no ugh! ... doesn't work for me. That plus the announcing is about the players on the field not the "I" in the booth. YMMV.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #73 on: 3 Oct 2017, 11:25 pm »
Yeah, love Romo in the booth.  Great insights into the play, scary good at predicting plays.  The first game I heard him on I was switching between games and didn't realize it was him for awhile.  I was thinking who is the color guy, he's really good.  Surprised to see it was Romo, maybe I would have been prejudiced against him if I knew it was him from the get go.  (Cowgirl hater here)

FireGuy

« Reply #74 on: 4 Oct 2017, 12:37 am »
Steve Tasker was IMO, the 'Pete Rose' of football.

Yes......I'm a huge Tasker fan !
:thumb:

On the field he was a no-fear beast of a player.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #75 on: 8 Oct 2017, 11:44 pm »
The Dallas/Green Bay game was just great!
Not so much for the Dallas fans but not one to sleep through like I usually end up doing.

Fell asleep during the Beagles game but they look surprisingly good this year.

stlrman

« Reply #76 on: 9 Oct 2017, 12:02 am »
Shit day for the Steelers!!

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #77 on: 9 Oct 2017, 12:54 pm »
Worse for the Giants with Beckham out with a fractured ankle.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #78 on: 9 Oct 2017, 01:43 pm »
Broncos catch a big break when an already failing Giants team loses it's 4 best wide receivers in one game. It happens to be the game before the Giants visit the Broncos. Unless Seimian gives the game away to the G-men defense, this looks like an 0-6 start for N.Y. with  visit from the Seahawks making 0-7 seem very likely.
Next spring the N.Y. Giants will be getting their highest draft pick since they chose Eli.
Meanwhile the godforsaken Jets are the biggest surprise in the league, with the possible exceptions of the Buffalo Bills and the L.A. Rams who the Giants host in week 8. In week 9 the G-men visit San Fran for their best shot at a win this year.

Now that we've had our early season surprises, does anyone here care to guess who will play in the Super Bowl this year? K.C. & Carolina?

Yikes!! At the start of the season, the Giants were a 12-1 pick to win the Super Bowl. As of this morning they are given 300-1 odds against winning the big one --- same as the N.Y. Jets. The Broncos are 10.5 point favorites over the Giants next Sunday evening.

rodge827

« Reply #79 on: 9 Oct 2017, 02:53 pm »
Cautious optimism for my Iggles at 4-1...they looked good yesterday and are clicking on both sides of the ball. Short week, Thursday in Carolina will be a great measure of game for both teams!

Fire at Will!

Chris